Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta/Boeing 737-MAX Plane Transaction Thread (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta/Boeing 737-MAX Plane Transaction Thread (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2024, 6:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
The -10 neither has MCAS or door plugs (might be the best one out the bunch tbh). If Delta pilots are going to be flying it without hesitation, then I have no hesitation of being a passenger. Unless they are having a mental break, no one is going to work on something they believe is unsafe.

The MAX has a tainted rep from MCAS (rightfully so), but this current issue is a QC one and imho has zero to do with the actual aircraft; other than it being the current production model. Could have easily been a 739, if those were still in production and Spirit Aerospace was slacking. Boeing will take the full blame, regardless of which subcontractor caused the issue and rectify it.
We already knew that Boeing intentionally deceived regulators and pilots to avoid additional training. That is well documented. Now we also know that Boeing's contract manufacturers have QC issues too. That somehow makes things better?
Old Jan 19, 2024, 6:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yellowjj
​​​​​How do you know that the current issue has zero to do with the aircraft?
hhdl likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 7:20 pm

DELete
Old Jan 19, 2024, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
Yellowjj
​​​​​How do you know that the current issue has zero to do with the aircraft?
How long has the 737 fuselage been built?
Old Jan 19, 2024, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Mountain Explorer
We already knew that Boeing intentionally deceived regulators and pilots to avoid additional training. That is well documented. Now we also know that Boeing's contract manufacturers have QC issues too. That somehow makes things better?
Nowhere did I said it makes things better. I said if the pilots aren't worried about flying the aircraft, then I am not worried about stepping on it.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 8:45 pm

How long has the 737 fuselage been built?
Acceptable answers to this question range between 6 and ~800 (launch of 707 program) months. Regardless of what number you choose, I fail to see how this informs your certainty that the current issue has zero to do with the aircraft.
hhdl likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 9:15 pm

Acceptable answers to this question range between 6 and ~800 (launch of 707 program) months. Regardless of what number you choose, I fail to see how this informs your certainty that the current issue has zero to do with the aircraft.
It's a door plug that has been introduced since 2007 in the 739. How would that equate to a specific aircraft (Max) issue? I fail to see the correlation between the two as the same fuselage, has been used for eons.
eeb100k likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 9:23 pm

It's a door plug that has been introduced since 2007 in the 739. How would that equate to a specific aircraft (Max) issue? I fail to see the correlation between the two as the same fuselage, has been used for eons.
I didn't make a connection between the length of time 737 fuselages have been built and the current issue...you did. I was simply curious about your logic in general and how you have employed it to draw a resolute conclusion.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 12:01 am

I didn't make a connection between the length of time 737 fuselages have been built and the current issue...you did. I was simply curious about your logic in general and how you have employed it to draw a resolute conclusion.
Seems rather simple. A design issue wouldn't have taken nearly two decades to show up.
So your question was puzzling at best.
eeb100k likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 7:22 am

FAA "Urges" 737-900ER Inspections

The FAA has urged airlines operating the Boeing 737-900ER model should “visually inspect mid-exit door plugs to ensure the door is properly secured,” referring to the panel that plugs the hole where a mid-plane exit would be.

“The Boeing 737-900ER is not part of the newer Max fleet but has the same door plug design,” the US aviation regulator added in what is known as a safety alert for operators

Delta Air Lines told CNN Monday that they had already started inspections of their Boeing 737-900ER aircraft and did not anticipate any disruptions to operations.
CNN
Old Jan 23, 2024, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
United basically writing off the Max 10, at least for the foreseeable future.

Kirby says "Best case 5 years behind original delivery" for the Max 10.

"Building a plan that doesn't have the Max 10 in it"

Last edited by DLASflyer; Jan 23, 2024 at 10:34 am
Old Jan 23, 2024, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Nowhere did I said it makes things better. I said if the pilots aren't worried about flying the aircraft, then I am not worried about stepping on it.
You think the AS pilots were worried till the plug blew?
spongenotbob and hhdl like this.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA - Silver, Hertz-5 star
The Max 10 does indeed have rear fusulage door plugs, it has too, it is longer than the Max9! It has different avionics software software than the Max 8 and 9 and therefore pilot training to deal with the MCAS will be different. Boeing got a cross-certification exemption via a corrupt congress. I hope delta cancels it's flying turd orders
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 4:47 pm

I'm never EVER entering a MAX plane in my life, on any airline.
dburns likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Paul510
The Max 10 does indeed have rear fusulage door plugs, it has too, it is longer than the Max9! It has different avionics software software than the Max 8 and 9 and therefore pilot training to deal with the MCAS will be different. Boeing got a cross-certification exemption via a corrupt congress. I hope delta cancels it's flying turd orders
The only way DL "sticks" with their max-10 order is to get even a better discount than they got when the did on their initial order. I am not holding my breath, but I'm very skeptical on seeing max-10's in DL colors ever. Options on delaying their delivery dates and just ordering more Airbus A321neos (no, DL doesn't need the LR's or XLR's).....trans Atlantic....only Iceland comes to mind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.