Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta/Boeing 737-MAX Plane Transaction Thread (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta/Boeing 737-MAX Plane Transaction Thread (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2022, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Delta/Boeing Nearing Deal for 737 MAX 10
Mhyduchak likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 5:57 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by lsquare
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/18/delt...-a-decade.html

It's now official! I personally would have preferred DL to be all Airbus.
I want to like the airbus sentiment. Definitely not excited or happy.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
It’s official!!

https://news.delta.com/delta-adds-st...tp59&fs=e&s=cl

Congratulations to Delta and Boeing.
artvandalay and mnhusker like this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 6:47 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by N830MH
It’s official!!

https://news.delta.com/delta-adds-st...tp59&fs=e&s=cl

Congratulations to Delta and Boeing.
why congratulate delta? It’s a terrible plane from the passenger perspective.
Spiff, JBa, cmd320 and 7 others like this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 6:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by emma dog
Comfort is up to the airline. It's funny that I don't recall all these people complaining about the 737-200 or Classics (-300/400/500) years ago. United has the same 18 inch seats on their 737-9 as they do on their A320 fleet. And some Airbus operators choose to have a narrower seat so they can have a wider aisle to expedite boarding.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I know I don't have access to the same data and drivers of the decision that the DL Execs who made this decision looked at but like some others I too wish DL had opted for more Airbus rather than more 737s, particularly the MAX. I'm sure it was a combination of delivery dates and, and acquisition costs, and operational costs among other factors but I just find DL's Airbus A32X series (particularly the A321) to be more comfortable based on the way DL configures them.
Spiff, skiaplg, lsquare and 6 others like this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Comfort is up to the airline. It's funny that I don't recall all these people complaining about the 737-200 or Classics (-300/400/500) years ago. United has the same 18 inch seats on their 737-9 as they do on their A320 fleet. And some Airbus operators choose to have a narrower seat so they can have a wider aisle to expedite boarding.
Well, those birds were retired long before your FT join date, so that could be why. But based on how "seat width" is measured, two airlines could advertise the same seat width or even an airline could advertise the same "seat width" on two different aircraft but the actual comfort provided by that "seat width" could vary wildly because seat-width is measured as the distance between the armrests. Other factors that impact comfort such as the lav space are major factors too, and some of that is impacted by the aircraft design.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Jul 18, 2022 at 7:45 am
Old Jul 18, 2022, 7:31 am

Programs: DL - PM (demoted with Amex waiver increase) and 1 MM
There was nothing in the Delta press release touting the first class seats being the same as the new A321 neos. Are we to assume these aircraft will not have those seats? Can the width of the MAX accommodate those seats?
Old Jul 18, 2022, 7:35 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by jgers1j
There was nothing in the Delta press release touting the first class seats being the same as the new A321 neos. Are we to assume these aircraft will not have those seats? Can the width of the MAX accommodate those seats?
The front of Boeing aircraft is absolutely more narrow than Airbus - you can clearly see this with FC aisle space on A319/20/21.
But not sure if seats can be the same - one would think Delta would like to standardize...
Old Jul 18, 2022, 7:37 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
Originally Posted by emma dog
Congratulations to Delta because they got a nice deal from Boeing. As others mentioned already not such a nice deal for us, the passengers. But the "aquiring cost's per seat" are a lot better with Boeing then with Airbus at the moment. And some here seems to forgot that DL's management is working for the company owners, not the company's customers.
Mhyduchak likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 7:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Based on how "seat width" is measured, two airlines could advertise the same seat width or even an airline could advertise the same "seat width" on two different aircraft but the actual comfort provided by that "seat width" could vary wildly because seat-width is measured as the distance between the armrests. Other factors that impact comfort such as the lav space are major factors too, and some of that is impacted by the aircraft design.
I guess I just don't get the drama. I'm not miserable even on a CRJ. I've slept just fine on plenty of 738 redeyes. No one is forced to fly on the 737. And on that note, do you think most passengers are willing to pay more for a negligible amount of shoulder room? Do you think passenger comfort was on the minds of Spirit and Frontier when they ordered the A320?
Newman55 and Ghoulish like this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by lsquare
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/18/delt...-a-decade.html

It's now official! I personally would have preferred DL to be all Airbus.
Me too. Ick.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I guess I just don't get the drama.
I don't get it either... I think it's like arguing over Coke versus Pepsi. If you don't like the 737 for some arbitrary reason, fine, but it makes a lot of sense economically for Delta.
Ghoulish likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 8:11 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
In this duopoly Delta has an interest in keeping the competition going between Airbus and Boeing. They may be better off in the long term buying from the less desirable supplier just to keep the market in balance. Over the last couple of years it was way out of balance in favor of Airbus.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by drminn
In this duopoly Delta has an interest in keeping the competition going between Airbus and Boeing. They may be better off in the long term buying from the less desirable supplier just to keep the market in balance. Over the last couple of years it was way out of balance in favor of Airbus.
Definitely some politics at play here too. Even though much of the Airbus fleet for the US3 is built in the US, it’s important for appearances to make a Boeing order.

Let’s not forget this deal is not actually a done deal yet, at the moment it’s just a paper deal because the MAX10 hasn’t been certified and is not on track to be certified by EOY which has a lot of knock on effects.

This could turn it a whole lot of nothing depending on what transpires there.

I took my first Max flight about a month ago (canceled YYZ - RDU flight on AC became YYZ - EWR - RDU on UA and the EWR - RDU was on the Max but it was my only option to get home). It was fine, putting aside the flight issues (which hopefully have been resolved as promised) the interior was indistinguishable from any other 737
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.