FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta/Boeing 737-MAX Plane Transaction Thread (Consolidated)
Old Jul 17, 2022, 4:53 pm
halls120
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Everything is relative. Funny part is I have several USAF friends who have left active duty in the last year (including 4 picked up by Delta in the last few months) who are leaving the military pilot life for the stability of the airline world. After numerous deployments, countless trips for training and exercises, assignments that pull them away from flying or send them to undesirable locations (or even remote assignments that take them away from their family for a year), having to play what they feel as games for promotion in an up-or-out system, moving every 2-4 years, extra duties that add to already long days, among other things, they see the airline lifestyle as a reprieve. I guess time will tell for each of them whether they really view the grass as greener or more stable.
My nephew is a former USAF pilot who is now a commercial pilot; he left for all the reasons you have set out above.