Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Christmas 2021 COVID Related Cancellation and Delay Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Christmas 2021 COVID Related Cancellation and Delay Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2021, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The rumors around here suggest that MSP was able to rebook passengers in generally satisfactory ways.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Mainline is up to 300 today and it's only noon Eastern. Meltdown.
300 flights? However how many passengers were effected? How long were they delayed? When was the flight canceled? (Some has early as two days ago)

No the sky isn't falling, especially as Christmas day is one of the slowest days of year.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 11:10 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Where it looks to be partly sunny and 70 today. If you are caught up in this, don’t let agents get away with blaming weather. This is Delta unprepared for yet another holiday. They should be rebooking on other airlines, offering hotels and handing out compensation.
Delta would not rebook my colleague over to AA as they tried to blame weather for their ATLPHX cancellation so he booked a separate ticket to get home. I suggested my colleague send the receipt to DL for reimbursement as AA had plenty of space but the agents in ATL wouldn’t do anything. Had he not tried, he would have missed Christmas with his family yesterday.

As for me, I had to fly into a different airport and rent a car to drive home which isn’t the end of the world but it was disappointing to see how they handled this in ATL.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 11:13 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
Delta would not rebook my colleague over to AA as they tried to blame weather for their ATLPHX cancellation so he booked a separate ticket to get home. I suggested my colleague send the receipt to DL for reimbursement as AA had plenty of space but the agents in ATL wouldn’t do anything. Had he not tried, he would have missed Christmas with his family yesterday.

As for me, I had to fly into a different airport and rent a car to drive home which isn’t the end of the world but it was disappointing to see how they handled this in ATL.
Yesterday was Christmas Eve, today is Christmas.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 11:56 am

I used to fly a lot on Christmas day. And the plane loads were fairly light back then. If it’s still that way and I was delta, what I would do is cancel flights today to use those crews where I need them the rest of the weekend.

It’s possible today’s cancellations are not a meltdown but a planned decision to re-organize and get through the next few days
AeRoSpaceman and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
I’m in the FLL SC for my first flight today. There have been/are at least 3 flights to ATL, several to LGA and one to DTW cancelled, and looks like a few tomorrow am. Given the number of cancelled flights, I expected there to be a lot of people milling about. The airport and club are very very quiet tho, with not that many people. Security was empty. It seems like Delta rerouted the affected pax in advance.
Passengers were notified before they left for the airport and no one connects on DL via FLL.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by drminn
What I am wondering is what the cancelation numbers look like for Tue, Wed, and Thursday this coming week. Nobody seems to be talking about that. It will be a good indicator whether we are dealing with a sickout and Covid being used as an excuse. To my knowledge (although I am pretty sure somebody will argue this) Omicron does not care whether it is Christmas or not.
If it's COVID, or even if employees falsely claimed it's COVID (not sure they're allowed to ask for proof) they're out for 10 days after positive test, even if vaxed, per FAA (which is following CDC guidelines (below)). So they won't be back next week...or if they are, we'll know DL et al were using the Covid excuse to over up inflated Holiday sick outs.

https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/avia.../SAFO20009.pdf
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...isolation.html
Old Dec 25, 2021, 1:06 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Now in ATL. Normal situation, doesn’t feel like how chaotic it can get during a weather issue. The “can I help you areas” do not have long lines. That said, FRA, MUC, UIO and LHR have been cancelled, among others, which is likely to be more disruptive to those pax.
becks1 likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Passengers were notified before they left for the airport and no one connects on DL via FLL.
I understand that. My comments were an observation.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
I used to fly a lot on Christmas day. And the plane loads were fairly light back then. If it’s still that way and I was delta, what I would do is cancel flights today to use those crews where I need them the rest of the weekend.

It’s possible today’s cancellations are not a meltdown but a planned decision to re-organize and get through the next few days
In recent years, DL has been trimming its schedule for Christmas Day, Thanksgiving Day, etc. Flights that operate on these holidays aren't as empty as they were in the past.

I always liked to do an international nonstop on these days, and hub lounges were open. Even on very busy holiday travel days, international nonstops were great as soon as one got through TSA airport security.
kyushuman and DLASflyer like this.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Dec 25, 2021 at 1:25 pm Reason: added second paragraph
Old Dec 25, 2021, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In recent years, DL has been trimming its schedule for Christmas Day, Thanksgiving Day, etc. Flights that operate on these holidays aren't as empty as they were in the past.
Yes though it depends on the flight. My flight to ATL was not full (until the cancellations started). My connecting flight has been quite full, especially in F and C+, since I booked it about a month ago.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by HDQDD
If it's COVID, or even if employees falsely claimed it's COVID (not sure they're allowed to ask for proof) they're out for 10 days after positive test, even if vaxed, per FAA (which is following CDC guidelines (below)). So they won't be back next week...or if they are, we'll know DL et al were using the Covid excuse to over up inflated Holiday sick outs.

https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/avia.../SAFO20009.pdf
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...isolation.html
I don't know about DL (and it would be part of the pilot union contract, so their terms are likely to be different) but many big companies have policies saying that if an employee claims more than several paid sick days in a row, the supervisor has a right to ask for documentation that the person was ill, although the documentation isn't supposed to discuss the diagnosis or symptoms, and similarly the supervisor can ask for documentation for even one paid sick day around holidays. There can also be consequences for taking too many periods of sick leave within a certain time, so that coming back to work too early and then needing to take another sick day (two separate periods fo sick leave for one episode of being ill) is risky.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yesterday was Christmas Eve, today is Christmas.
Some families focus their festivities, present opening, etc. on Christmas Eve in the evening.
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 3:18 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton HHonors Silver, Hertz Gold Status.
This is a Mess

OK: I was trying to fly LAX-ATL-PBI and the flight to ATL got delayed because it's been downpouring rain around LAX. Rebooked into FLL on the app, then called DL and changed it to PBI because extended family turns out they'll be around after all for a Christmas dinner. The flight was supposed to leave today at 9:30am and get into PBI at 7:26pm and then it randomly got moved to a redeye leaving on the 26th.

I called DL, had them call me back after a nearly 4 hour wait time picking up at 3:35am today (after my bags were packed) and agent said someone called in to make the adjustment to a redeye (wasn't me, no way in hell I would do this). Then I get an apology email from DL about missing the holidays and call back into the Platinum Line this AM. Agent says that redeye flight was asked for, and told them it wasn't me, nearly got switch over to the DL security line to make sure someone wasn't tampering with my account. Finally after another 45+ minute wait got to an agent who said it was (what I suspected) an automated routing computer bug to the redeye flight for no apparent reason, using COVID as an excuse. They rebooked me for tomorrow at 10:35am (Thank God as I have some major work calls on Monday) arriving into PBI at 8:30pm.

The interesting thing is if I kept my initial flight, I probably wouldn't have made the connection regardless to PBI anyway as it got even more delayed out of LAX and would've been stuck in ATL. It's just a sheer mess and I'm not certain ... is going on with them.

BTW: Pre-COVID in 2018 I flew on Christmas Day on LAX-SLC-EWR and it was calm and pleasant. Super early AM flight out of LAX but whatever, got upgraded to F into EWR on a 738 or 739. Nothing like this episode.
Intl359Widget likes this.

Last edited by Saab_Redondo_1987; Dec 25, 2021 at 3:24 pm
Old Dec 25, 2021, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Shocking that at least so far AA has kept it together much better than Delta. Tomorrow and Monday will show just how bad this really is for Delta. I wonder if AA’s 300% pay bonus has had anything to do with their superior performance, which saying that is so strange to me! Lol.
rylan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.