Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Christmas 2021 COVID Related Cancellation and Delay Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Christmas 2021 COVID Related Cancellation and Delay Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2021, 5:05 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles

Programs: DL (duh), AA 1MM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond
WSJ article says 1% of all DC residents tested positive for COVID. COVID rates in NYC and other major cities has climbed straight up. It wouldn’t surprise me if the airlines are overwhelmed.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ekozie
Sounds like proactively attempting to contain a potential meltdown. The beast is clearly on the verge of escaping if this many cancels are already happening.
Exactly they're making sure it's not a meltdown. This way people can rebook now,, they have staff where needed now,, etc.. Prefer they wait for an actual meltdown?? When that happens we hear how could they not have handled this better.. They're doing that now.

Do we know where flights are being canceled? Northwest is supposed to get hit with storms.
wrp96, BSAChris, DCAhome and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 5:23 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Exactly they're making sure it's not a meltdown. This way people can rebook now,, they have staff where needed now,, etc.. Prefer they wait for an actual meltdown?? When that happens we hear how could they not have handled this better.. They're doing that now.

Do we know where flights are being canceled? Northwest is supposed to get hit with storms.
When I took a detailed look earlier, it was mainly transcons, hub-hub, and ATL-Florida getting hit.

DL issued a waiver for SEA and SLC, I've looked at several SEA forecasts and no one is calling for more than 2-3 inches, and AFAIK no other airline is issuing waivers. I've definitely flown into airports with much worse weather and Delta never issued a waiver - it's very suspicious to me.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emma dog
WSJ article says 1% of all DC residents tested positive for COVID. COVID rates in NYC and other major cities has climbed straight up. It wouldn’t surprise me if the airlines are overwhelmed.
The flip side of this is probably a lot of passengers cancelling as well.
unitedbusiness and ezefllying like this.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Sounds like proactively preventing a meltdown.
We will see. Trying to prevent a meltdown for sure. I'll believe it when I see it given Ed's past lies about being ready for holidays with staffing.
JesseRohr likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 5:55 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
We will see. Trying to prevent a meltdown for sure. I'll believe it when I see it given Ed's past lies about being ready for holidays with staffing.
There has been a pretty substantial increase in sick calls due to crews testing positive (no doubt Omicron-driven). On Wednesday Delta and several other airlines wrote to the CDC to allow vaccinated staff to shorten the isolation period from 10 to 5 days if an employee tests negative after 5 days. If everyone has to quarantine for 10 days, there will be major operational issues in the next few weeks.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-...on-cdc-letter/

So far, United has canceled about 100 for tomorrow while Delta is at around 85-90.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/airlin...cancellations/
milski likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 6:02 pm

What the pilots are saying: https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/d...yet-again.html

Probably a combination of factors but they don't seem real impressed with management.
ekozie likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From Flightaware, cancels look to be primarily within B717, A320, and A330 fleets.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 6:22 pm

Apology email promising unspecified compensation:

Here at Delta, you come first, which is why we want to apologize for the travel disruption you experienced during Christmas weekend. Reliability and providing excellent customer service are very important to us, and this weekend we fell short of our standards.
We know that an unexpected change to your holiday or business travel was neither the experience you expected, nor the experience we wanted to provide. Please know we are working to ensure this doesn’t happen again in the future.
We will be issuing compensation via the email address or SkyMiles account we have on file in your reservations within the next week.
If you need ongoing support for your current travel, please log into delta.com or the Fly Delta app. Once again, we’re sorry for the disruption you experienced. Please know that we’re doing everything possible to ensure your future travels with us are the best yet.”

translation: It ain’t weather.
wrp96, ekozie and becks1 like this.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 6:35 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
12/24: all JFK-SFO flights canceled?

We were planning to fly out of JFK to SFO in D1 tomorrow (Dec 24th) to visit family. Just an hour ago got notified that our flight was canceled…in fact, per DL website, all non-stops are canceled ex JFK for 12/24…can’t even find seats in the main cabin.

Still waiting to speak with an agent. Anyone in the same boat?
Old Dec 23, 2021, 6:37 pm

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
Its COVID/ Omnicron...

Its already causing havoc in many workplaces / industries / employers.
The next 1-2 weeks are going to be really interesting.

So many places having a lot of staff out on COVID quarantine, its going to be challenging to maintain operations through the holiday period.

In my town already we have places closing up since they have so many staff out with COVID

Its almost becoming a joke since these people are going to be 100% fine, but they tested positive for COVID... go to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200....got got a 10-day quarantine.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 6:41 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by metalblaze
We were planning to fly out of JFK to SFO in D1 tomorrow (Dec 24th) to visit family. Just an hour ago got notified that our flight was canceled…in fact, per DL website, all non-stops are canceled ex JFK for 12/24…can’t even find seats in the main cabin.

one cancelled, one delayed, and one on schedule (currently).

if you're not finding inventory when searching for a dummy booking, it's because there is no inventory, not that the other two flights were cancelled.

edit: i'm seeing inventory on the two other flights.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 6:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold

Appears the early morning flight is delayed 40 mins, the late morning flight is cancelled, and the evening flight is operating normally. The evening flight arrives on Dec 25th, offering the chance to spot Santa and reindeer if you get window seats

becks1 and kyleclogan like this.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA

There is a lot of twitter going around that there are a lot of 12/24 cancellations for all the big three tomorrow and the cancellation count keeps going up. UA is even swapping in 777's on 737 routes. This is crazy.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 7:01 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Mountain Explorer
Appears the early morning flight is delayed 40 mins, the late morning flight is cancelled, and the evening flight is operating normally. The evening flight arrives on Dec 25th, offering the chance to spot Santa and reindeer if you get window seats

Speaking with a DL agent now....she cannot find D1 or Main Cabin seats in any of these flights. Ay ay ay....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.