Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Christmas 2021 COVID Related Cancellation and Delay Thread

Delta Christmas 2021 COVID Related Cancellation and Delay Thread

Old Dec 23, 2021, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman
There is a lot of twitter going around that there are a lot of 12/24 cancellations for all the big three tomorrow and the cancellation count keeps going up. UA is even swapping in 777's on 737 routes. This is crazy.
AA and WN show no cancellations for tomorrow. Cancellations are primarily impacting UA, DL, and B6. DL has a couple of A330s on DTW-MCO on Christmas Day. Not sure if these are recent swaps or were already scheduled. Seems odd for a normally slow travel day. Looks like these may be making up for a number of ATL-MCO cancellations on Friday and Saturday (including A330 and B763 flights).
becks1 likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 23, 2021 at 8:26 pm
Old Dec 23, 2021, 8:09 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by xliioper
AA and WN show no cancellations for tomorrow. Cancellations are primarily impacting UA, DL, and B6.
Originally Posted by metalblaze
We were planning to fly out of JFK to SFO in D1 tomorrow (Dec 24th) to visit family. Just an hour ago got notified that our flight was canceledin fact, per DL website, all non-stops are canceled ex JFK for 12/24cant even find seats in the main cabin.

Still waiting to speak with an agent. Anyone in the same boat?
Well...it didn't take too long for the official apology to arrive...
Old Dec 23, 2021, 8:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by ekozie
When I took a detailed look earlier, it was mainly transcons, hub-hub, and ATL-Florida getting hit.

DL issued a waiver for SEA and SLC, I've looked at several SEA forecasts and no one is calling for more than 2-3 inches, and AFAIK no other airline is issuing waivers. I've definitely flown into airports with much worse weather and Delta never issued a waiver - it's very suspicious to me.
2-3 is enough to cause major problems at SEA. Among other issues the airport seems unprepared for deicing aircraft. A travel waiver seems about right to me.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by Bretmd
2-3 is enough to cause major problems at SEA. Among other issues the airport seems unprepared for deicing aircraft. A travel waiver seems about right to me.
The pre-cancellations do not indicate a weather issue. They are not concentrated in SEA or anywhere else with weather waivers.

Delta generally does a pretty good job de-icing in Seattle with their own mainline employees. Alaska subcontracts it with poor results.
JesseRohr likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 8:35 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Corporate statement:

Delta teams have exhausted all options and resources -- including rerouting and substitutions of aircraft and crews to cover scheduled flying -- before canceling around 90 flights for Friday. We apologize to our customers for the delay in their holiday travel plans. Delta people are working hard to get them to where they need to be as quickly and as safely as possible on the next available flight.

43 canceled today
92 tomorrow
84 Saturday
becks1 likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 8:38 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
This could just be a holiday sickout, but I know some friends at OA that are getting 4 figure bonuses for not calling out over the holidays. Read into that what you like, but I wouldn’t bang out sick unless I had to.

Omicron is going to run through airline employees, just like it’s running through the NFL, NHL and everything else. Good news is that preliminary data shows it so be significantly more mild, but that doesn’t mean there won’t be significant disruption due to existing quarantine requirements. When you start to lose a significant # of crew for 5-10 days (or whatever their policy is), there will be disruptions. Probably will get worse before it gets better.

Edit: I saw posted somewhere else that it’s 10 days per FAA reg. That means this could last for weeks.
ryw, becks1, FabCW and 1 others like this.

Last edited by HDQDD; Dec 24, 2021 at 5:39 am
Old Dec 23, 2021, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is covid-related. Last weekend, I made a last-minute trip from DC to Boston to increase my status before the end of the year. I've been planning to go to Palm Springs for New Year's, but, with cases spiking, I started worrying I might need to cancel.

Now I'm sitting at home with a (fortunately mild) case of covid-19. (I absolutely credit my vaccination for making my symptoms comparable to a moderate cold).

This would be ironic if I thought I'd caught it on the flight. Instead, I'm almost certain I got it when I made the mistake of walking into a friend's birthday at a (packed) bar, from which I snuck out with a bad case of the premonitions after ten minutes.

Omicron is going to have somewhat the same effect on commerce for the next six weeks as the shutdowns did last year: A ton of businesses will close for a few days because they just can't meet staffing. The airlines certainly aren't immune from those dynamics. And while they're fortunate that their cabin crews trend younger than the average American (and are thus likelier to bounce back quickly), those crew still can't work if they're positive.

While a part of me would still like to head out west for New Year's Eve, I'm very hesitant (and would insist on getting two negative PCRs and being wholly asymptomatic). Even then, I'm not sure I want to be hanging out with anyone in close quarters for a bit, especially on a plane. Until this omicron wave dies down, I don't feel comfortable making travel plansnot just due to the risk of getting sick (which, I'm guessing, is now much lower for me), but also due to the risk of massive logistical disruption.
ryw, PDXMSPSEA, FabCW and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by HDQDD
I know some friends at OA that are getting 4 figure bonuses for not calling out over the holidays.
As a passenger, this isn't to sort of incentive program I'm glad to hear about.
Spiff, milski and JesseRohr like this.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 8:43 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Corporate statement:

Delta teams have exhausted all options and resources -- including rerouting and substitutions of aircraft and crews to cover scheduled flying -- before canceling around 90 flights for Friday. We apologize to our customers for the delay in their holiday travel plans. Delta people are working hard to get them to where they need to be as quickly and as safely as possible on the next available flight.”

43 canceled today
92 tomorrow
84 Saturday
I feel better now that leadership is publicly claiming that they've got it under control, as opposed to when cancelation numbers were steadily rising with no word from Virginia Ave.

I'll take them at their word, but if it turns out to not be the case, they're going to get absolutely skewered.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by metalblaze
Speaking with a DL agent now....she cannot find D1 or Main Cabin seats in any of these flights. Ay ay ay....
The 5:30 PM AA flight has plenty of seats available in Business - they should be able to book you on that assuming this cancellation isn't weather-related.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 9:42 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by ezefllying
As a passenger, this isn't to sort of incentive program I'm glad to hear about.
Said program was put into place in early November before Omicron was a thing.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 10:02 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
https://abcnews.go.com/Business/airl...ry?id=81923547
Old Dec 23, 2021, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
The pre-cancellations do not indicate a weather issue. They are not concentrated in SEA or anywhere else with weather waivers.

Delta generally does a pretty good job de-icing in Seattle with their own mainline employees. Alaska subcontracts it with poor results.
DL historically has done a very good job, but with staffing shortages, holidays and it being the first cold weather of the season...things are not going to go well.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 11:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Flight (first leg) canceled <10 hours before departure in the morning. Ive rescheduled for another flight but now worried all hell will break loose tomorrow and there will be a Xmas eve of chaos and disappointment.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 11:40 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
If a plane's route is A-B-C, for reporting purposes does this count as ONE cancellation or TWO (A-B and B-C).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.