Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Christmas 2021 COVID Related Cancellation and Delay Thread

Delta Christmas 2021 COVID Related Cancellation and Delay Thread

Old Dec 28, 2021, 6:21 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by drminn
But at least your friend is leaving from Europe and will receive adequate compensation and expense reimbursement.
Friend was on a MXP-JFK flight that ended up being cancelled two days in a row due to a mechanical; finally scheduled to leave tomorrow, two days after originally planned, rebooked on KLM.

He received an email from DL about comp being 22,500 miles, which seems a bit paltry, but of course I reminded him to file for his EU comp of 600 euros.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 6:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by StangGT909
Im very sure youre right, but its still crazy to me personally to think Delta would pay for hotels, etc for 10-20 people opposed to making a flight 30 minutes late (since there wouldnt be any further connecting flights at midnight). Well see!
Those 30 minutes can delay morning flights because of crew rest requirements. This can have major cascading impacts the nest day. OTOH if it's the end of the trip for all crew, it might not matter much except for crew who commute between their home and base who were hoping to fly home on the same day, either NRSA or on a paid and confirmed ticket.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 6:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by whitesock
My 2-leg trip turned into a 3-leg (thanks to cancellation at DTW) and I was ultimately delayed about 3.5 hours yesterday. Got 15,000 miles.
Originally Posted by WScottsdaleInsider
15,000 SkyMiles for cancelled flight on 12/26. Rebooked 3 hours later on next non-stop.
Same 15k for canceled and rescheduled AM flight. But Im still waiting for response re involuntary denied boarding.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by dw
Friend was on a MXP-JFK flight that ended up being cancelled two days in a row due to a mechanical; finally scheduled to leave tomorrow, two days after originally planned, rebooked on KLM.

He received an email from DL about comp being 22,500 miles, which seems a bit paltry, but of course I reminded him to file for his EU comp of 600 euros.
He should also submit his expenses and file for the 600 Euro twice. After all, he had two cancellations.
dw, Spiff and rylan like this.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 8:40 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Silver, UA Plat
Originally Posted by StangGT909
My 4 PM flight home from Aruba today has already been bumped 3 times due to inbound flight delay (from Atlanta) and as it stands , Ill miss the last 10:30 PM flight to Detroit by a few minutes.

what a way to end my honeymoon.

Assume if that happens they cover a hotel in Atlanta, but whats the chance they push the 10:30 Atlanta to Detroit back 30-40 minutes to accommodate what Id guess would be a reasonable amount of passengers ? Understand if they chose to delay a flight and this causes others to miss a connecting flight it just compounds the issue but being a 10:30 PM flight , wouldnt that be Ok?

secondly, whats the Skymiles/voucher compensation lately for a delay causing an involuntary overnight stay?

I have contractors coming to my house tomorrow to do a remodel project, Im not just complaining, getting in a day later is really going to be a pain in the butt

Looking at it now, looks like you'll end up with about 30 minute connection to make it from T to A terminal... doable if you hustle and depending on where you are sitting on the flight. Sad to say the DTW looks on time - let us know how it goes
Old Dec 28, 2021, 9:44 pm

I'm flying HND-SEA-SFO on an award ticket booked with Flying Blue points on 12/31, which looks to be eligible for a waiver. Seems I have to call to make changes (can't online or via the app).

Do you think there's any chance they'll put me on a partner flight to avoid SEA? Of course, there aren't many options TPAC these days so I'm guessing I'll have to go via SEA.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 4:30 am

My Delta ticket must be cursed.
It started out as a SEA to ORD trip in April 2020. That was scratched because of original COVID. They gave me eCredits for the flight.
Then I rebooked it as SEA to SFO in August 2020. The wedding I was going to was cancelled because of COVID. Back to the eCredits it went.
I then tried SEA to LAS in Sept 2021, which was scratched because of the Delta variant outbreak in Vegas.
Then SEA to KOA which was also scratched for Delta.
Finally, I tried a trip to SAN this week that should have been a sure thing. A snowstorm/deep freeze hit Seattle, along with Omicron staffing shortages hitting the airlines. Delta cancelled the SEA to SAN flight, so that trip was a scratch.

Each rebook cost more than the previous, so the airfare grew from $400 for the first trip to $1400 for this last booking. They put the ticket back into eCredits.
Then there is the trip insurance you have to buy for each trip. That's about $500 down the drain.

I think the trip insurance industry must be raking it in with this pandemic.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 6:25 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Just got my 3rd cancellation email of the week due to no available crew. What really makes me angry is Ed lying about staffing and saying things are fixed when clearly they are not. Delta got $8.5 billion in payroll support, is flying 20% fewer flights than pre-pandemic and STILL can't operate a reliable airline over holiday periods. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results.

Last edited by DLASflyer; Dec 29, 2021 at 7:28 am
Old Dec 29, 2021, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by SeattleAl
My Delta ticket must be cursed.
It started out as a SEA to ORD trip in April 2020. That was scratched because of original COVID. They gave me eCredits for the flight.
Then I rebooked it as SEA to SFO in August 2020. The wedding I was going to was cancelled because of COVID. Back to the eCredits it went.
I then tried SEA to LAS in Sept 2021, which was scratched because of the Delta variant outbreak in Vegas.
Then SEA to KOA which was also scratched for Delta.
Finally, I tried a trip to SAN this week that should have been a sure thing. A snowstorm/deep freeze hit Seattle, along with Omicron staffing shortages hitting the airlines. Delta cancelled the SEA to SAN flight, so that trip was a scratch.

Each rebook cost more than the previous, so the airfare grew from $400 for the first trip to $1400 for this last booking. They put the ticket back into eCredits.
Then there is the trip insurance you have to buy for each trip. That's about $500 down the drain.

I think the trip insurance industry must be raking it in with this pandemic.
Hundreds of flightsnever once bought the trip insurance. Award tickets are always refundable and revenue tickets are always 100% ecredits. No more change fees. What would I gain by buying the insurance?
Old Dec 29, 2021, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Trip insurance is almost never worth it especially now with no change fees.

Anyway, I got hit by the DL Covid staffing issues now too... connecting flight out of ATL canceled while I was on the way to the airport in BOS. Fortunately I got rebooked on the next flight, but still get to 'enjoy' 4 hours in ATL. I must've won the cancel lottery today since I only see 3 flights out of ATL on the board being canceled. At least I can sit in the A skyclub, although with the bar line I have to get a double or by the time I can get a new drink I'll sober up. lol
Old Dec 29, 2021, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been buying "light" travel insurance, primarily to ensure medical coverage when outside the US, since my health insurance (and probably most) doesn't cover illness outside the U.S. (they do cover accidents). It's not that expensive, it's really the trip cancellation features that they charge a lot on.
JBJ2435 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 12:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I've been buying "light" travel insurance, primarily to ensure medical coverage when outside the US, since my health insurance (and probably most) doesn't cover illness outside the U.S. (they do cover accidents). It's not that expensive, it's really the trip cancellation features that they charge a lot on.
I've always had medical insurance that covers illness as well as accidents outside of the USA, but I've always picked "traditional" BlueCross/BlueShield type insurance with deductibles and coinsurance (and now a HSA) from my employer. I also have medical evacuation coverage as a fringe benefit.

OTOH many managed care plans (HMOs, preferred provider, etc.) have minimal coverage other than for life and limb emergencies outside of one's home network.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 12:21 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Wednesday Delta delayed more than 900 flights or a third of its schedule. And still 100+ cancels.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 2:32 am

Current hold time is 5h17m. For PM. Sometimes you just have to laugh.......
becks1 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 6:49 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Will Ed send out an another apology letter and launch another elite promotion in January given the holiday disruption and likely delay of some kinds of business travel until early Spring?
JesseRohr and coast_2_coast like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.