Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

no-show (one or both pax) when using AMEX companion certificate (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

no-show (one or both pax) when using AMEX companion certificate (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2019, 5:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by OhDoctor
Maybe a silly question: I'm flying DL from JFK to RAP via MSP, then planning on flying return on WN from Denver directly (have a bunch of WN points to burn). Was planning on booking this using the companion cert from my Amex DL Platinum, but the only option is to book it as a round-trip.

So.. will DL care if I book it round-trip so I can use the cert, and then simply skip the return flight? It's not like I'm doing hidden city ticketing/stopping at MSP. Otherwise, I won't have an opportunity to use the cert, and it will be a waste.
What a strange post, you ask about companion cert, yet you only use the word "I" and never "we". Are you travelling with somebody?? You realize that's the point of the cert, right?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:24 pm

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
Is the outbound so expensive that it's cheaper to book the r/t and use the certificate?
Not really a matter of that -- just that the certificate is going to expire otherwise and so will go to waste. Already flying WN on the return segment (DEN-JFK) on points.

Originally Posted by ethernal
I am not sure OP is even planning on having the companion do the return leg - but as long as it's a nonstop and you both check-in, I doubt they would do anything. I've aborted my return leg before and my companion successfully flew. Delta would have no way of knowing that you were going to be a no-show until after your companion is on the plane. And, airlines have been trying to avoid pulling people already on planes with confirmed seats off ever since a certain United incident. Delta knows better than to fight a PR battle on this.
We will both be doing the return leg, but on WN.

Originally Posted by kjnangre
What a strange post, you ask about companion cert, yet you only use the word "I" and never "we". Are you travelling with somebody?? You realize that's the point of the cert, right?
I'm traveling with family. "I" am flying.. other people are as well.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
Too bad you can't redeposit the points...
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:12 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Are you like me and buy things that you don't need at the supermarket just because you came across a coupon for them?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 6:58 am

We have never used the companion certificate. We found you can save money by not using them, and shop for flights. By comparing prices, once it was entered that you were booking using companion certs, the price jumped for that one ticket a lot. Their a joke. I don't know when such a marketing ploy came out but we've had our cards since the early 90's.
volabam likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:46 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Originally Posted by Swanky Safari
We have never used the companion certificate. We found you can save money by not using them, and shop for flights. By comparing prices, once it was entered that you were booking using companion certs, the price jumped for that one ticket a lot. Their a joke. I don't know when such a marketing ploy came out but we've had our cards since the early 90's.
I have saved hundreds of dollars each year by using the companion certificate. I always have the same options as if I just booked without using it. Obviously people have different experiences but ours have been wonderful.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 10:03 pm

No Show on Return Portion of Companion Certificate (Consolidated)

Myself (Plat) and P2 (no status) are booking a trip but only I will be on the return flight. Normally I would just book a roundtrip and a one-way but I want make sure we are on the same reservation so that P2 can get a Comfort+ seat since it is unlikely that we will get upgraded to first given that it is hub to hub.

What I discovered is that a companion pass would still be less expensive and would solve our problem of being on the same reservation. Any concerns if P2 is a no show for the return flight? I know Delta recently updated their policy. If it makes any difference, I will have a layover on the return flight. To clarify, P2 won't be getting on the return flight at all.

"We understand that plans change. If they do, please cancel or make changes in My Trips or the Fly Delta app before your flight departs to maintain the value of your ticket. For all tickets purchased on or after March 31, 2021, customers who no-show for a flight without changing or canceling their reservation prior to departure will lose the value of their ticket, and we will cancel all remaining flights in the itinerary. "
Old Apr 28, 2021, 10:55 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by DLPFlyer22
Myself (Plat) and P2 (no status) are booking a trip but only I will be on the return flight. Normally I would just book a roundtrip and a one-way but I want make sure we are on the same reservation so that P2 can get a Comfort+ seat since it is unlikely that we will get upgraded to first given that it is hub to hub.

What I discovered is that a companion pass would still be less expensive and would solve our problem of being on the same reservation. Any concerns if P2 is a no show for the return flight? I know Delta recently updated their policy. If it makes any difference, I will have a layover on the return flight. To clarify, P2 won't be getting on the return flight at all.

"We understand that plans change. If they do, please cancel or make changes in My Trips or the Fly Delta app before your flight departs to maintain the value of your ticket. For all tickets purchased on or after March 31, 2021, customers who no-show for a flight without changing or canceling their reservation prior to departure will lose the value of their ticket, and we will cancel all remaining flights in the itinerary. "
Welcome to FT! The language you quoted has to do with changing tickets in general; there are further restrictions for using the companion certificate in that, for the most part, both the primary and the companion must fly all segments together. I say "for the most part" because there have been past instances where a primary managed to board without the companion, and I think maybe even vice versa, but also cases where the companion was booted off the flight when the primary no-showed.

You might be better off intending to use it only one-way for both of you, and then trying to change/cancel the return for future rebooking after the fact (not sure how accommodating they're being with this sort of thing for companion certificates)

Some past threads discussing no-showing on the return:

both travelers skipping the return: Will DL care if a abandon the return leg of a companion certificate fare?

one traveler skipping:

Skipping last leg of an itinerary when one passenger is on a companion ticket

Primary Traveler Not Taking Return Portion of Companion Trip
Old Apr 29, 2021, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
As long as the primary (paid) passenger is the one flying there's no issue. The issue is when the paid passenger doesn't fly, but the companion still wishes. Technically the companions ticket is dependent on them flying on same flights as paid passenger. However in actual practice there's generally no issue if this happens on the return portion.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 1:10 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
I've sent P2 on without me without incident.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Nothing to be concerned about with the 'P2' aka companion being a no-show. If the primary is no-show then it could be trouble for the companion.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 6:30 pm

No Show on Return Leg of Companion Airfare

Hi Group - wondering what would happen if I booked companion airfare for my daughter and I from SEA - IND (10/20) and then another companion airfare ticket from IND-NYC (10/24). Both intended to be “one way tickets”
Old Oct 4, 2021, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by KNV112
Hi Group - wondering what would happen if I booked companion airfare for my daughter and I from SEA - IND (10/20) and then another companion airfare ticket from IND-NYC (10/24). Both intended to be “one way tickets”
Nothing would happen. Youd just be wasting half a companion ticket and paying twice as much. You have to book a RT for companion fare ticket even if only wanting to fly OW.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 11:12 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat
My situation is....I'm the free companion....he is the primary ticket buyer....and I can't take the trip at all. He is going to need to travel on the complete roundtrip solo.

I'm assuming he can get away with boarding the departure flight but what will happen to him when he tries to return?

I called to properly remove myself and they wanted to reprice the entire ticket just for him, at today's current fares, which is extraordinarily expensive, so I'm wondering if the no show gamble is a better bet.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's the T&C's -- "If the primary ticket or the Companion ticket is cancelled, both tickets will be cancelled and the Companion ticket will not be reissued." I'd be nervous about return primary ticket being cancelled after no show on outbound Companion ticket. Have you looked at return one-way pricing on other carriers as a possible backup?

Last edited by xliioper; Oct 19, 2021 at 5:04 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.