Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

no-show (one or both pax) when using AMEX companion certificate (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

no-show (one or both pax) when using AMEX companion certificate (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2022, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL DM
Oh boy, there must be 50 threads on this
Singleflyer likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
No. If you flew outbound, they will likely get away coming back. However no option if don't fly out.

Main issue is that there remains $ value to your ticket if don't fly. It can be used to book another ticket. Thus companion get a free flight without you paying for one.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's a recent experience -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34676108-post55.html
I doubt there will be any issues as long as primary does not try to cancel ticket. Even if primary does not bother to check-in (there's a 30 minute cutoff in most cases), I very much doubt they would bother to try to de-board a companion if they are already on flight.
krakendown likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper
Here's a recent experience -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34676108-post55.html
I doubt there will be any issues as long as primary does not try to cancel ticket. Even if primary does not bother to check-in (there's a 30 minute cutoff in most cases), I very much doubt they would bother to try to de-board a companion if they are already on flight.
Even if companion is permitted to fly the outbound without primary, companion’s return flight will 100% be cancelled by DL.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Even if companion is permitted to fly the outbound without primary, companion’s return flight will 100% be cancelled by DL.
I don't doubt that, but OP is talking only about not flying together on the return flight (which was the flight I was referring to). They are planning on flying the outbound flight together and thus companion should be okay to fly solo on the return.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 8:15 pm

I don't doubt that, but OP is talking only about not flying together on the return flight (which was the flight I was referring to). They are planning on flying the outbound flight together and thus companion should be okay to fly solo on the return.
Last time my companion bought another dummy refundable ticket on a different airline to get through security and then scanned my primary boarding pass at the gate on the return instead of her companion BP. Domestic flight. Nothing happened. And I got the MQM/MQD.
krazykanuck and krakendown like this.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
There is some risk that DL could refuse to let the companion fly, but I'd say it is low risk since you'd both be flying the initial outbound leg.

Best bet is to still check in. Don't call and cancel anything, or the companion return ticket will also be canceled.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 3:39 am
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

I agree. If asked by the GA, I would just say that my companion could not make it on the plane due to sudden explosive diarrhea or something similar.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 8:43 am

Similar to skipping the last leg on a multi-leg journey, the local personnel rarely notice. They are so busy with the operations of getting the passengers on board and the boarding door closed, they usually don't focus on who should be on the flight that isn't on the plane. Of course, this data exists and is in the system, so don't make a habit of doing these things, and you probably should be ok.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sleepy_Sentry
I agree. If asked by the GA, I would just say that my companion could not make it on the plane due to sudden explosive diarrhea or something similar.
No reason for anything that extreme. A positive (even if it later is revealed to be a ‘false’ positive) test for COVID should suffice.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Last time my companion bought another dummy refundable ticket on a different airline to get through security and then scanned my primary boarding pass at the gate on the return instead of her companion BP. Domestic flight. Nothing happened. And I got the MQM/MQD.
Happy that it worked out. However doing this risks much more than just having FF account closed. While get they had ticket in their own name, they didn't present it. TSA/FAA aren't going to take kindly to this. They could also risk state false identity charges.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 10:28 am

This reminds me of the pre 9/11 and pre frequent flyer program days. Someone left our company who was supposed to take a trip to Los Angeles on business for the company. The day before, my boss told me I was going instead and handed me his plane ticket. I flew under his name with his ticket and nobody asked anything.

Old Dec 19, 2022, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Happy that it worked out. However doing this risks much more than just having FF account closed. While get they had ticket in their own name, they didn't present it. TSA/FAA aren't going to take kindly to this. They could also risk state false identity charges.
If it works for NFL and a movie it should work for a domestic flight. I’ve been doing this for many years with my kids. Buy flights and decide which kid(s) go at the last minute. No one has ever said boo.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Remote chance of getting criminally charged, being mistaken for a terrorist, and/or being placed on no-fly list. You probably don't need it, but good luck.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by safigan
Remote chance of getting criminally charged, being mistaken for a terrorist, and/or being placed on no-fly list. You probably don't need it, but good luck.
I'm not worried about most times. However need to relize just saying "oops i lied about my identity " when agents asks for ID (say for new BP or issue with rebooking) isn't going to end well. All takes is accidentally forgetting your "temporary name." Or handing over your ID by default since why think anything of it. Etc...

The issue isn't most times, it will work most times. the issue is that this will be criminal in nature the times it gets caught.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.