Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

no-show (one or both pax) when using AMEX companion certificate (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

no-show (one or both pax) when using AMEX companion certificate (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2022, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An interesting discussion that has raised a tangential question in my mind: Would Delta allow a “passenger of size” (or simply someone who wants more shoulder room) to use a companion certificate to book an Extra Seat?
Old Dec 20, 2022, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kale73
An interesting discussion that has raised a tangential question in my mind: Would Delta allow a “passenger of size” (or simply someone who wants more shoulder room) to use a companion certificate to book an Extra Seat?
While I haven’t done it with the companion cert, there’s no reason it wouldn’t work. Just book the companion with the same last name and “EXST” as the first, and advise the gate agents when you scan both BPs. Or you can do with an agent and save a few $$ in taxes (but it will likely inhibit OLCI).
Old Dec 20, 2022, 6:46 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
If it works for NFL and a movie it should work for a domestic flight. I’ve been doing this for many years with my kids. Buy flights and decide which kid(s) go at the last minute. No one has ever said boo.
Nobody… except for the kid who drew the short straw and doesn’t get to go!
Old Dec 20, 2022, 7:58 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by kale73
You don't need to be a COS (customer of size leads to a better acronym ) -- and it's another way to make use of otherwise-expiring certs. Multiple DPs in the EXST and companion threads:

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Buying 2 coach seats for one person / EXST on Delta (Consolidated Threads)

(FT search sucks, but in full desktop mode use the Advanced Search menu and search for "AMEX" in the EXST thread, or "EXST" in the AMEX thread)

however from those reports it seems occasionally GAs get confused and might try to seat someone in the extra seat so if I were doing this, as ijgordon suggested I would proactively discuss this with the GA to make sure the seat remains empty.
hurnik likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 7:43 am

Last time my companion bought another dummy refundable ticket on a different airline to get through security and then scanned my primary boarding pass at the gate on the return instead of her companion BP. Domestic flight. Nothing happened. And I got the MQM/MQD.
wait, why did the companion need to buy a dummy ticket to get through security? You both had tickets on the flight, correct?
bloc0102 likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
I'm not worried about most times. However need to relize just saying "oops i lied about my identity " when agents asks for ID (say for new BP or issue with rebooking) isn't going to end well. All takes is accidentally forgetting your "temporary name." Or handing over your ID by default since why think anything of it. Etc...

The issue isn't most times, it will work most times. the issue is that this will be criminal in nature the times it gets caught.
In this scenario, though, the comapnion never claimed to be someone he/she wasn't. The companion didn't present to TSA as someone other than he/she is. It's not illegal to fly on someone else's ticket (I'm sure it's against all airline policies, but it's not criminal).
Old Dec 21, 2022, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
wait, why did the companion need to buy a dummy ticket to get through security? You both had tickets on the flight, correct?

Companion’s ticket is void unless traveling with primary. But primary can travel without the companion.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 7:48 am

In this scenario, though, the comapnion never claimed to be someone he/she wasn't. The companion didn't present to TSA as someone other than he/she is. It's not illegal to fly on someone else's ticket (I'm sure it's against all airline policies, but it's not criminal).
It goes against the airline’s contract of carriage. Breach is a breach of contract not a criminal offense.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 7:51 am

Companion’s ticket is void unless traveling with primary. But primary can travel without the companion.
yes, and? I'm still missing something, if you're just getting to the airport and going through security, how does the airline know that the primary isn't going to make the flight? Why would the companion not have a valid ticket/boarding pass at this point?
bloc0102 likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 8:20 am

yes, and? I'm still missing something, if you're just getting to the airport and going through security, how does the airline know that the primary isn't going to make the flight? Why would the companion not have a valid ticket/boarding pass at this point?
Airline will/could pull the companion off the plane before departure as the ticket was not paid for and primary still has/gets an ecredit for their flight missed.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 8:22 am

Airline will/could pull the companion off the plane before departure as the ticket was not paid for and primary still has/gets an ecredit for their flight missed.
I get the part where you use the primary's ticket to fly, I'm saying that the companion should still be able to use their own ticket to get through security and there's no need to buy a dummy.
ijgordon and bloc0102 like this.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 9:46 am

Programs: Delta PM
I'm considering flying BBB-CCC with my companion, but then I would fly CCC-AAA back (while the companion flies CCC-BBB). Both flights would depart around the same time; I'm nervous about how to go about it / if it's even worth the risk
Old Dec 21, 2022, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Crossinator
I'm considering flying BBB-CCC with my companion, but then I would fly CCC-AAA back (while the companion flies CCC-BBB). Both flights would depart around the same time; I'm nervous about how to go about it / if it's even worth the risk
Switch roles. You be the companion and book both of you on BBB-CCC. You as the companion buy a one way ticket on a different airline from CCC to AAA. Delta won’t care. You cannot have 2 conflicting reservations on Delta or they will be canceled. Or call DL once you have both arrived at CCC to let them know that the companion will not be returning to BBB.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 4:09 pm

Programs: Delta PM
True. I don't think it's worth the headache, especially booking different airlines. Will just fly BBB-AAA on my own after we fly CCC-BBB together.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 8:38 pm

Switch roles. You be the companion and book both of you on BBB-CCC. You as the companion buy a one way ticket on a different airline from CCC to AAA. Delta won’t care. You cannot have 2 conflicting reservations on Delta or they will be canceled. Or call DL once you have both arrived at CCC to let them know that the companion will not be returning to BBB.
My daughter has got an acting gig this summer with a theater in MA. I am planning on flying out with her to help her get set up. My plan was to book using a companion certificate with the return set to after the gig ends.

After I get her settled in, I'm going to book a one-way home on the cheapest option. At this time, I'm not planning on returning to help her come back home. (Mrs. Calvol and I will be coming out for a few days in the middle of the gig to catch her in the show.)

How do I go about setting it up so that I'm the companion? Do, I click the "i'm not travelling link" under the 1st passenger box and insert her name and then put myself as passenger #2?

Or is there a way to formally transfer it to her that makes her the primary? It wasn't obvious to me that that was an option.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.