Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2020, 7:04 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by WScottsdaleInsider
I booked an upcoming flight JFK-LAS and want to move it to another date. When I called to do so, I was told the change fee would be waived but there's a fare difference.

However on Delta's site I see this: •You can rebook your trip to the same destination for travel departing before  September 30, 2020, with no difference in fare applied.

Has anyone had success getting Delta to change flights without fare differences. When I try to change online it also asks for a fare difference.

For context, my flight hasn't been cancelled yet.
When did you book it? The DL page says in several places "The fare difference will be waived for changes to existing travel between March - Sept 2020 if originally purchased before April 17th and traveling to the same destination before September 30, 2020" but in one of the later sections it's not explicitly restated so it could make it seem as if there is no such condition on waiving the fare difference. It's probably just an editing/copywriting mistake, but you could try calling in again and seeing what you can get.
Old May 13, 2020, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WScottsdaleInsider
I booked an upcoming flight JFK-LAS and want to move it to another date. When I called to do so, I was told the change fee would be waived but there's a fare difference.

However on Delta's site I see this: •You can rebook your trip to the same destination for travel departing before  September 30, 2020, with no difference in fare applied.

Has anyone had success getting Delta to change flights without fare differences. When I try to change online it also asks for a fare difference.

For context, my flight hasn't been cancelled yet.
Did you book before April 17th? The language on the website says the fare difference is only waived for that particular case --

"The fare difference will be waived for changes to existing travel between March - Sept 2020 if originally purchased before April 17th and traveling to the same destination before September 30, 2020."

You missed the bullet point that was further down in the page -

Eligible Customers: All Tickets Originally Issued on or before April 17, 2020 
Old May 13, 2020, 8:57 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Originally Posted by Zorak
There was a post on the DM FB group yesterday citing problems with itinerary changes that involve partner travel -- paraphrasing/summarizing, the initial suggestion was that DL sends the new over but the other airline system rejects it.

It was then updated to say that if the rebooked itinerary involves an oversold segment then the system is cancelling the ticket entirely and without notification.

If true (Idunno, just passing this on), that might explain some of the reports here (and with the updated info it might not even have to involve a partner flight)
From past experience I have.
Before
Delta have made a change is the schedule on one of my flight, this made me miss my connection (DL YUL-ATL-PVG).
I call the Diamond line and they change me with no problem to AF YUL-CDG-PVG.
Now
I have a flight cancellation and ask them to do the same,but they say me they can not do this now.
With the actual situation, I think inter partner transfer have be put under some "restriction".
Old May 14, 2020, 7:32 am

Help finding cancellation proof for Delta flight

I'm having issues with a tour agent refunding money for a Delta/KLM flight, and I can't find online flight information for March 19. Can anyone post a screen capture showing that the following flights were canceled? I know they were canceled but I didn't save proof.

Delta 160 MSP>>AMS March 19 at 3:55 pm
KLM 1355 AMS>>PRG March 20 at 12:15 pm.

Thanks a lot.
Old May 14, 2020, 8:55 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
https://www.delta.com/contactus/page...tion/index.jsp
Old May 14, 2020, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really haven't been following this thread, so my apologies in advance if I'm asking a repeated question.

I have one-way flights to and from Europe booked for June on miles, family of four. Now they're gone from "My Trips" and entering the confirmation number brings up nothing. But the miles haven't been returned.

I tried to call Delta to see what was up, but didn't want to wait for three hours.

Is this how Delta is preemptively canceling tickets? If so, I can't see why the miles wouldn't show up back in my account immediately like when I cancel a ticket myself.

Or are my miles stuck in some purgatory somewhere?

(Edit: same for the fees, which for the way home are quite large)
Old May 14, 2020, 9:39 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by josephstern
I really haven't been following this thread, so my apologies in advance if I'm asking a repeated question.

I have one-way flights to and from Europe booked for June on miles, family of four. Now they're gone from "My Trips" and entering the confirmation number brings up nothing. But the miles haven't been returned.

I tried to call Delta to see what was up, but didn't want to wait for three hours.

Is this how Delta is preemptively canceling tickets? If so, I can't see why the miles wouldn't show up back in my account immediately like when I cancel a ticket myself.

Or are my miles stuck in some purgatory somewhere?

(Edit: same for the fees, which for the way home are quite large)
Most likely DL's auto-rebooking computer couldn't figure out how to get you to your destination. You will have to call in and specifically ask for a refund (or work with the agent to rebook you if so desired). Your miles likely will stay in limbo until you advise DL how you want to proceed
Old May 14, 2020, 9:59 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by kjnangre
Most likely DL's auto-rebooking computer couldn't figure out how to get you to your destination. You will have to call in and specifically ask for a refund (or work with the agent to rebook you if so desired). Your miles likely will stay in limbo until you advise DL how you want to proceed
If just asking for the miles and taxes/fees to be returned, I would try DMing them on Twitter before calling in. That would probably be my approach all the time but especially with the current hold times.

As an aside, josephstern, was there a particular reason you book two one-ways instead of round-trip or open jaw? One-ways from Europe get hit with the European origination fee while round-trips/open jaws originating in the US do not. This may be useful to you if you book similar flights in the future.
Old May 14, 2020, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mattp1987
If just asking for the miles and taxes/fees to be returned, I would try DMing them on Twitter before calling in. That would probably be my approach all the time but especially with the current hold times.

As an aside, josephstern, was there a particular reason you book two one-ways instead of round-trip or open jaw? One-ways from Europe get hit with the European origination fee while round-trips/open jaws originating in the US do not. This may be useful to you if you book similar flights in the future.
Yup - booked into Iceland and out of Norway. Iceland is problematic with these trips for a lot of reasons, but the big one is that I wasn't willing to pay for business on the way there for just recliners, and I wanted business on the way home.
Old May 14, 2020, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom_MN
I'm having issues with a tour agent refunding money for a Delta/KLM flight, and I can't find online flight information for March 19. Can anyone post a screen capture showing that the following flights were canceled? I know they were canceled but I didn't save proof.

Delta 160 MSP>>AMS March 19 at 3:55 pm
KLM 1355 AMS>>PRG March 20 at 12:15 pm.

Thanks a lot.
You can create a free account on flightaware which provides up to 3 months of flight history --
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL160/history
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/KLM1355/history
Old May 14, 2020, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Bulkhead Aisle
Have been waiting 6 weeks for a refund on a cancelled flight for which I had used a couple of e-cert credits and paid the balance with my AmEx Reserve card. Finally got through to someone earlier today and was told they were working on refunds from March 23, so I still have to wait as mine was requested on March 30. My initial call to the refund-specific 800 line inexplicably got me to reservations, which was a waste of an hour on hold. My call to the diamond line got me a call-back over an hour later, again from reservations.
Boy, they are really far behind. I'm on day 40 and I guess I'm still pretty far back in the queue. I don't need the money immediately though it would be nice but I'm still thinking of filing a DOT complaint just out of spite. In the end I probably won't but I am really skeptical that this has anything at all to do with short staffing and resources. Well, maybe that is some of it. But I also think it's probably also a slow pay strategy. You would think that with each day that passes the number of booked tickets that they have to refund goes down. While they no doubt have 11 months of bookings at any given time you would think that each week that passes (other than some high concentration summer periods on certain routes) has fewer and fewer already-paid flights that have to be refunded. I think they are just stringing refunds along to smooth the cash flow issue out as best they can.
Old May 14, 2020, 11:43 am
GRG

Programs: DL SM
Qualify for refund?

I've had some pretty drastic changes made to an upcoming TVC-DEN-TVC trip and I'm wondering if it would qualify for a full refund. My new outbound itinerary on 6/11 has me arriving for my layover in MSP almost 6 hours after the flight for DEN has left as the direct TVC-MSP segment has been eliminated and they're routing me through DTW. It's a similar situation with the inbound flight on 6/13, with the new itinerary having me arrive in DTW more than seven hours after the flight for TVC has left. A search on DL's website says there are no TVC-DEN flights available for those dates anymore. There's also the matter if it being a paid F ticket (all segments had F cabin space when booked), but two segments are now using CRJ's, so no F cabin. Does this qualify for a full refund or will it be an eCredit with change fees taken out?
Old May 14, 2020, 11:47 am

Programs: DL DM
It easily qualifies for a full refund. The addition of an extra stop in DTW plus any time change greater than 90 minutes. Delta will gladly issue you a full refund. You can always ask for a credit (with no fee) if you would prefer, but sounds like you want a refund. Be upfront and polite when you call that due to a routing and time change you would like a full refund back to original form of payment.
Old May 14, 2020, 12:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Before calling, you might want to look at DL schedules for yourself to see whether there's some other routing or departure from some other airport that would work well for you. Changing dates a bit might help too. In addition to the full refund, you would be entitled to being rebooked on anything vaguely reasonable at no additional cost. For instance, would an ATL or SEA work better, or would you like to drive yourself to DTW, assuming that you still need/want to go to DEN.
Old May 14, 2020, 12:47 pm

If I need to cancel flights (one booked with miles the other with credit card/e-card) can I do this online now and get the fees waived? I know earlier on doing this process online was not allowing the fees to be waived and you had to call in to speak to an agent to have them manually waive those fees under the covid waiver. I just want to make sure before I click the cancel button. For reference all flights were booked in January for both international and domestic travel in July and I am fine with receiving a credit voucher for the flight booked with my card. The other flight was booked with miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.