Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles Select Program

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: Skymiles GM
SkyMiles Select

Looks like Delta is dabbling in subscription services... Doesn't have any of the valuable benefits like Spirit's $9 Fare Club.

What would benefits would you pay for?

https://skymilesselect.delta.com
Old Oct 16, 2019, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ryw
If this proves popular, we might start seeing some flights that run of overhead space in the middle of Main Cabin 1 boarding!

What's DL's goal here? Is it to attract passengers who fly multiple times per year, but not enough for to attain status to get some set of perks to try to get their business loyalty? Or I wonder if this is a test run before making FO status harder to achieve (some discussion about that has been going on in the UA changes thread)...it sort of provides a soft landing for folks who would no longer qualify for FO, or a informal half-status in between FO and general member.
Yes this is actually a rather savvy move -- someone who has paid $59 upfront and has drink tickets to use is more likely to book DL for the next flight if all carriers are pricing the same so they can recognize the benefits they paid for (same as someone who has the DL AMEX Gold and paid the AF)
Old Oct 16, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, HHD, MG
Funny that they give out brag tags for this but not to Silver and Gold Medallions....

Last edited by Dutch101; Oct 16, 2019 at 3:32 pm
Old Oct 16, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by Dutch101
Funny that they give out brag tags for this but not to Silver and Gold Medallions....
They claim to give them out to FO and GM. I requalified FO in Feb and GM in June and haven't seen them yet. Of course, they also claim it's new but really it's just undoing an enhancement from a few years back.

Luggage Tags

As a Medallion Member, look forward to a package in the mail with bag tags so you can show off your Status and celebrate just how far you’ve come!

Diamond and Platinum Medallion Members already receive bag tags. And new this year, starting for 2020 Medallion Status (earned between January 1, 2019 and December 31, 2019) Gold and Silver Medallion Members will receive bag tags too.
In all seriousness, this pays for itself in less than a trip for a couple buying Basic Economy. If the buy-up is $30/person/direction, that's $120. As long as they're in the same booking, only one needs to buy Skymiles Select and both get early boarding. Assuming a four-segment trip (home-hub-destination and return), that's one drink per person per flight included as well.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Gig103
I didn't say there wasn't a market, I said I could understand. I still maintain it's a poor value and is a devaluation of FO benefits.
Yeah, I was more just piling on in response to the rest of the thread, not you specifically.

Originally Posted by Zeeb
If you don't fly enough to be Silver are you going to even have an opportunity to use 8 drink tickets on the one or two round trips a year you take?
Sure you can. Even if you only use one drink per flight, 8 flights averaging 1k miles each and you're nowhere close to FO.

Back in olden times, I used to have all east coast travel and would qualify for FO with like 40 segments but only 23k MQM.

Originally Posted by Dutch101
I would love to be in the business of selling people dinky plastic cards for $59 a pop.
ryw and Dutch101 like this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by mattp1987
They claim to give them out to FO and GM. I requalified FO in Feb and GM in June and haven't seen them yet. Of course, they also claim it's new but really it's just undoing an enhancement from a few years back.
I just hit GM for the first time less than a month ago, and got my tags last weekend in the mail.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
In all seriousness, this pays for itself in less than a trip for a couple buying Basic Economy. If the buy-up is $30/person/direction, that's $120. As long as they're in the same booking, only one needs to buy Skymiles Select and both get early boarding. Assuming a four-segment trip (home-hub-destination and return), that's one drink per person per flight included as well.
If all you want is Zone 1, yes. But this program still doesn't allow advance seat selection.

Agree it's still very worthwhile to certain people.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by woodenshoe101
I still get a chuckle from "main cabin 1 priority boarding". If I count correctly (not considering pre-boards), MC1 is group 4 of 7? (F/D1+DM, EC, Sky, MC1, MC2, MC3, BE). I guess its best of the rest, but calling it priority is a stretch even on a good day.
More like 7 of 10...( Old folks in wheelchairs/people with broken limbs, active military with ID, F/D1+DM, people with young children that need more time, EC, Sky, MC1, MC2, MC3, BE)
Old Oct 16, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by gravityhammer
I just hit GM for the first time less than a month ago, and got my tags last weekend in the mail.
Yeah when I hit FO for the first time earlier this year I got one also. I think they're only sending them out to first time FOs and GMs.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
The more I think of this the more I suspect DL will move to the Buy Status approach.

500 dollars gets you FO
1000 gets you Gold
5000 gets you Plat
10,000 Diamond

All this on top of what you fly.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by gooselee
If all you want is Zone 1, yes. But this program still doesn't allow advance seat selection.

Agree it's still very worthwhile to certain people.
Good point. I was mostly thinking in terms of people wanting overhead bin space.

Originally Posted by HWGeeks
The more I think of this the more I suspect DL will move to the Buy Status approach.

500 dollars gets you FO
1000 gets you Gold
5000 gets you Plat
10,000 Diamond

Sounds a lot like the new United status qualification.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HWGeeks

500 dollars gets you FO
1000 gets you Gold
5000 gets you Plat
10,000 Diamond

With different numbers, isn't that just what MQDs are? Or are you saying require a straight-up purchase after meeting the flight/spend requirements?

I could more realistically see airlines just going to a pure spend model. Spend $30k MQDs and get DM - doesn't matter how many MQM/MQS you have. That would match UA and has been how Hilton has worked for years (Hyatt as well, though I'm not sure if for the same amount of time).
Old Oct 16, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by gooselee
With different numbers, isn't that just what MQDs are? Or are you saying require a straight-up purchase after meeting the flight/spend requirements?

I could more realistically see airlines just going to a pure spend model. Spend $30k MQDs and get DM - doesn't matter how many MQM/MQS you have. That would match UA and has been how Hilton has worked for years (Hyatt as well, though I'm not sure if for the same amount of time).
straight up buy status. I just threw numbers out there to throw them out, Delta may decide on something more or less, but I wouldn't be surprised if they went with this approach with what United is doing.

I wouldn't be surprised next year if they offer various levels of Select.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 5:15 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Good point. I was mostly thinking in terms of people wanting overhead bin space.

Sounds a lot like the new United status qualification.
I think you need to add another 0 to those MQDs to be like the new United status qualifications
Old Oct 16, 2019, 7:01 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
Looking forward to a DYKWIA post or two with this. "Outta my way, I'm a Select!"

In all seriousness though, I could certainly see this appealing to quite a few travelers. I think a lot of us on FT, and frequent flyers in general, forget what travelling is like for non-status pax. It's not much, but if you know you're flying 2-3 times a year, a few drinks and earlier boarding can make it just slightly more enjoyable.
gooselee, Duke787, Zeeb and 4 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.