Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles Select Program

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2019, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM
Exclamation Skymiles Select Program

Interestingly (and perhaps unsurprisingly), DL is now further unbundling (and then re-bundling) certain "perks" to Skymiles members so that they can enjoy priority boarding (Main Cabin 1), a few drinks, and a brag tag -- all for the low, low price of $59: https://skymilesselect.delta.com/

I'm not sure how I feel about this; though, if you're someone who does travel but not enough to make Silver, this could make sense, right?

(I wonder which blogger will write about this in an article without a H/T?)
Old Oct 16, 2019, 10:32 am

8 Drink Coupons?!?!? That alone pays for the $59 annual fee
Old Oct 16, 2019, 10:38 am

Got the invite today... was thinking the 8 drinks were worth it alone.

Wondering if AMEX Plat would pick this up as reimbursable incidental charge.
In2ishn likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06

I'm not sure how I feel about this; though, if you're someone who does travel but not enough to make Silver, this could make sense, right?

(I wonder which blogger will write about this in an article without a H/T?)
I am that not frequent enough flyer, or at least I am too cheap to hit MQD. I saw this and thought it might be similar to United's Economy Plus subscription where you paid a flat amount for E+ for a year. I was greatly disappointed in the actual details, drink vouchers average out to over $7 so there is not any real savings there. Is the target market for this people that Amex won't approve?
Old Oct 16, 2019, 10:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
I am that not frequent enough flyer, or at least I am too cheap to hit MQD. I saw this and thought it might be similar to United's Economy Plus subscription where you paid a flat amount for E+ for a year. I was greatly disappointed in the actual details, drink vouchers average out to over $7 so there is not any real savings there. Is the target market for this people that Amex won't approve?
IIRC UA E+ subscriptions are currently $599 and UA doesn't offer them all the time.

Is there a DL AmEx card giving benefits with an annual fee under $59?

BTW the linked website page asserts that the subscription is worth $100. How is this calculated or does DL plan to raise the price to $100?
Old Oct 16, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: DL 2 MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC UA E+ subscriptions are currently $599 and UA doesn't offer them all the time.

Is there a DL AmEx card giving benefits with an annual fee under $59?

BTW the linked website page asserts that the subscription is worth $100. How is this calculated or does DL plan to raise the price to $100?
Skymiles Select brag tag that someone will buy on ebay for $41?
PurdueFlyer, ryw and SeaHawg like this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: Delta Plat
Non US Members like me can't join me gonna cry lol
Old Oct 16, 2019, 11:03 am

Huh. This program was the fine print on an advertisement on a separate, unrelated email promotion a couple weeks ago. Didn't think much of it at the time. I guess the big question is does this program trump boarding last on E fares? The FAQ does not say. That would be a huge benefit to the BE fliers and definitely worthwhile to them.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What's the rationale for restricting it to USA residents? This isn't obvious to me.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
I just received the e-mail. Will this membership extend to "basic fare" passengers, and allow them to board with the Main Cabin 1? I would purchase it if it included Basic Fare Passengers. I couldn't find an answer under the FAQs.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Why did they send it to lifetime silvers?
SCEflyer likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 11:19 am

So now every mouth breather w/o an AMEX on the planet will clog MAIN 1...god please let me get to FO before the end of the year.
Exiled in Express likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 11:23 am

Maybe DL is planning to rename its boarding groups again and group 1 will be lower than it now is.
355F1, Zeeb and EditingFX like this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
Is the target market for this people that Amex won't approve?
Probably not so much about getting approved by Amex than the fact that lots of people don't want another (or any) credit card.

Plus even the DL Gold Amex carries a $99 AF.

I don't put any brag tags on my stuff but a small part of me would love to get a SM Select one and slap it on my briefcase.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by ChemGuy
So now every mouth breather w/o an AMEX on the planet will clog MAIN 1...god please let me get to FO before the end of the year.
I usually board with Main 1, but this offer isn't bad if it includes Basic Fare passengers too. Because some routes are extremely cheap booking a basic fare ticket, and spending $59 annually for boarding early with your carry on and cheaper drinks

Edit:. I have Amex Delta and Platinum, but I'm just cheap sometimes.
aquamarinesteph likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.