Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA /crew /pax wrong or right ?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
They have a child with a disability who cannot sit by themselves. I am guessing takeoff is one of the worst parts of it. Suggesting switching seats in the air is silly in such a case.

As long as the passengers agreed to the switch, I have no idea why a flight attendant was even involved.
Which brings us back to a point I make often. If you are - or some one you are traveling with is so disabled (mentally - as in this case) as to require special assistance and/or accommodations to avoid a potential melt down then perhaps flying isn't the best mode of transportation for you - or them. Take the car, bus, train, boat, taxi, Uber, Lyft, limo or private auto.

Again, as was stated earlier in this thread. This is one side of a very complicated story. I'm sure there's much, much more to this story - if it's even true. It reminds me of the deaf couple who had a melt down when they couldn't sit together (Also at DTW back in January of this year).

Deaf couple and discrimination at DTW...thoughts?
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
This is different, the child had a disability issue. Thus the law requires that he have his assistant be seated next to him. Even if bought BE fare DL would be required to put one (not both, but one) next to him.
But then shouldn't DL have been notified in advance and seats assigned together? If sitting together is important and there's a disability reason for this, I find it hard to believe that they weren't aware before boarding that the seats were all separated.

Moreover, for now I'll stick with my hypothesis that either the autistic kid or someone in the party ended up in an exit row, which is not allowed and would indeed be a safety issue.

This not to say that it was right for the FA to just order everyone into their seats and take a fit.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
This probably involved Skywest 3596, DTW-IAH, which left 2.5 h late from DTW on Friday night.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
If the flight attendant really was being that ridiculous, the captain probably made the right call. He needed to remove her from the flight and he probably couldn't just conjure up a replacement (is DTW a skywest FA base?)

Can you imagine if the flight had taken off and she continued to escalate the situation in the air?
I got off a plane once when the FA went bananas over a request to change seats. (Not DL) It was for this very reason, safety. If she could lose it over something very simple then how can they be trusted to handle an emergency! Also at that point neither side can trust the other.

In my case, I asked, didn't demand, didn't change seats and hope for best, simply asked to change seats due to having an injury at the time. FA went ballistic. As I proceeded to the door she asked if I was getting off. I told her yes, and with pilot right there told her why. She acted shocked, and then asked if I had bags (non US, domestic NZ, so bag matching required). She then tried to get me to stay onboard as i would delay other passengers. (Flight would be delayed to remove bags)I got off and never regretted it. Even if she'd be fine in an emergency, staying onboard just leaves you open to whatever made up issue they come up with.

Last edited by flyerCO; Aug 19, 2019 at 10:19 am
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
But then shouldn't DL have been notified in advance and seats assigned together? If sitting together is important and there's a disability reason for this, I find it hard to believe that they weren't aware before boarding that the seats were all separated.

Moreover, for now I'll stick with my hypothesis that either the autistic kid or someone in the party ended up in an exit row, which is not allowed and would indeed be a safety issue.

This not to say that it was right for the FA to just order everyone into their seats and take a fit.
No notice is required. Also some GA will insist you go onboard and ask passenger to move (although legally it's their job and they must move them even if they refuse).
dav662 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:01 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Completely inappropriate to post a libelous summary+photo of the FA.

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
on the other hand, we can always count on certain parts of the flyertalk mob to blame everything on the kid and the parents.
Perhaps you should re-read the post that you quoted as (s)he did nothing of the sort.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
No notice is required. Also some GA will insist you go onboard and ask passenger to move (although legally it's their job and they must move them even if they refuse).
However, I suspect that if they had called DL in advance, appropriate seats would have been assigned, perhaps including the pair that are normally blocked for special needs passengers. Or they should have asked the GA, who could force people to switch seats without any involvement by the FA.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:05 am

However, I suspect that if they had called DL in advance, appropriate seats would have been assigned, perhaps including the pair that are normally blocked for special needs passengers. Or they should have asked the GA, who could force people to switch seats without any involvement by the FA.
They probably booked Basic Economy seats which did not come with advance seat selection
PhilnLiz and KenTarmac like this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

I agree with calling. However DL may require that it be handled at the gate. As for the last part, the GA is the one who's supposed to handle, including forcing seat change on other passenger. However they'll lots of times try and skirt their responsibilities onto the requesting passenger, making them ask the other passenger. If they say no, the passenger is in awkward situation as they must now get the GA to inform them they never really had a choice.
kimberlyrose likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by KenTarmac
Which brings us back to a point I make often. If you are - or some one you are traveling with is so disabled (mentally - as in this case) as to require special assistance and/or accommodations to avoid a potential melt down then perhaps flying isn't the best mode of transportation for you - or them. Take the car, bus, train, boat, taxi, Uber, Lyft, limo or private auto.
This is absurd. The accommodations this passenger needs are ridiculously small and are not a material burden on anyone.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by TBD
Completely inappropriate to post a libelous summary+photo of the FA.

Perhaps you should re-read the post that you quoted as (s)he did nothing of the sort.
I wasn't suggesting that the poster I quoted was the one blaming the kid and/or parents.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by nystateofmind
They probably booked Basic Economy seats which did not come with advance seat selection
They may or may not have done that. But FAs do not go ballistic about 2 pax switching seats in the same cabin unless something else is in play.

Most likely somebody ended up in an exit row.
Possibly the third party was not ever in that seat anyway so OP was effectively poaching
Possibly the issue "blew up".

I doubt we will ever know.
chemengin and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:19 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Whether the story is true or not I dont support taking pictures of people and posting them online BEFORE the allegations have been proven true. From now on this FA and pilot will be associated with this story even if it comes out to be 100% false.

With that said while this is SkyWest that is the danger that the Delta's, AA's, and United's of the world face outsouring regional service. The third party airlines represent your brand for good and for bad.
KBMIFlyer and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by vincentharris
Whether the story is true or not I dont support taking pictures of people and posting them online BEFORE the allegations have been proven true. From now on this FA and pilot will be associated with this story even if it comes out to be 100% false.

With that said while this is SkyWest that is the danger that the Delta's, AA's, and United's of the world face outsouring regional service. The third party airlines represent your brand for good and for bad.
.....usually for bad: Republic, SkyWest, etc.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:22 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
I got off a plane once when the FA went bananas over a request to change seats. (Not DL) It was for this very reason, safety. If she could lose it over something very simple then how can they be trusted to handle an emergency! Also at that point neither side can trust the other.

In my case, I asked, didn't demand, didn't change seats and hope for best, simply asked to change seats due to having an injury at the time. FA went ballistic. As I proceeded to the door she asked if I was getting off. I told her yes, and with pilot right there told her why. She acted shocked, and then asked if I had bags (non US, domestic NZ, so bag matching required). She then tried to get me to stay onboard as i would delay other passengers. (Flight would be delayed to remove bags)I got off and never regretted it. Even if she'd be fine in an emergency, staying onboard just leaves you open to whatever made up issue they come up with.
Are we coming to a point in life where every single person has to wear a body camera so they can avoid being in trouble? (i.e. had you stayed on board and something did happen with the FA in the air)

I was upset when it came out CX has cameras in the cabin of their planes, but now I am starting to understand why they installed them.

The unfortunate part for you is you had to leave the flight, it was almost certain more problems would happen if you stayed. The crap part is you had to rearrange your whole day/trip because of a bad employee
PhilnLiz likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.