Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MSP Changes to TSA Checkpoints

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2019, 9:39 pm

I went through the standard line around 3:40 pm today, took all of about 15 minutes to get through from the beginning until I got through security, which meant I killed an hour at my gate waiting for boarding to begin. I did see where the line was really long behind me so I may have gotten lucky with the timing.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 10:58 am

An editorial in the Minneapolis Star Tribune urged additional funding for security screeners at MSP.

TSA must respond to airport security chaos - StarTribune.com

It's also interesting that the percentage of O&D traffic at MSP has increased so much, which increases the need for security screenings even more than passenger counts at the airport would indicate.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
TSA Pre✓ took approximately 2 minutes this morning at 8:30. Regular lines looked terrible.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
An editorial in the Minneapolis Star Tribune urged additional funding for security screeners at MSP.

TSA must respond to airport security chaos - StarTribune.com

It's also interesting that the percentage of O&D traffic at MSP has increased so much, which increases the need for security screenings even more than passenger counts at the airport would indicate.
No question. It used to be 50/50 connecting traffic versus O&D. Today, it's nearly 2/3 O&D, according to the airport commission.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 1:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Today I waited about a half hour to drop a bag at MSP SkyPriority. DL had a long line there, with only 2.5 agents working (the third was primarily servicing the people in some signposted preferred partners line that I haven't noticed before, just to the right of the SkyPriority kiosks). South security seemed fine, although I'm less impressed with the CLEAR employees that I was when CLEAR first started.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/GS, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
TSA Pre✓ took approximately 2 minutes this morning at 8:30. Regular lines looked terrible.
It took 0 minutes six hours later, by which I mean the lines were completely empty as I walked towards the Pre-Check agent.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Today I waited about a half hour to drop a bag at MSP SkyPriority. DL had a long line there, with only 2.5 agents working (the third was primarily servicing the people in some signposted preferred partners line that I haven't noticed before, just to the right of the SkyPriority kiosks). South security seemed fine, although I'm less impressed with the CLEAR employees that I was when CLEAR first started.
Agents at MSP really seem to struggle to finalize enrollment in the queue. That becomes a massive problem when interest in CLEAR is at an all-time high.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
To me, common sense would be for DL to have more check in and bag drop agents now working at MSP during the time when TSA airport security lines are so messed up. This wold be so much more effective than sending multiple messages to DL passengers vaguely suggesting that one should get to MSP earlier than usual.
GMTmin8 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
To me, common sense would be for DL to have more check in and bag drop agents now working at MSP during the time when TSA airport security lines are so messed up. This wold be so much more effective than sending multiple messages to DL passengers vaguely suggesting that one should get to MSP earlier than usual.
I've had good luck using the bag drop on the parking garage side. It's a relatively new checkin area for Delta that many people don't know about yet. I've never had to wait behind more than one person.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Sky Club
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
I've had good luck using the bag drop on the parking garage side. It's a relatively new checkin area for Delta that many people don't know about yet. I've never had to wait behind more than one person.
It was closed for an extended time. Is it up and running again?
Old Aug 26, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by nogophers
Last time I walked by it, about 2 weeks ago, it still had a sign saying this area closed. Can't remember the exact wording, but it didn't sound like anytime soon.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by nogophers
it was closed this morning along with the security lanes nearby.
bloc0102 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 6:22 pm

Any updates about how bad the lines are?
Originally Posted by CarmenOM

I was at MSP from 4-8 today (Sunday). While there were a couple of lulls, during much of the time the regular (non PreCheck, non CLEAR) lines were all the way back to the Delta baggage drop area, with three areas with mazes to wind the lines back and forth. The lines always moved fast, but they were soooooo long. The lines never looked bad at the PreCheck South checkpoint. When I checked at North, the CLEAR and SkyPriority lines were not long, but I heard that there were times during the day when the SkyPriority/First Class/OAL elite line was long. A separate wheelchair entrance has been added at North, so that passengers in wheelchairs do not enter the SkyPriority line.

The Delta bag drop line was also very long. For reasons I did not determine, Delta closed the self-check area around 6pm, which added to the regular bag drop line.

This weekend was heavy end-of-the-summer travel for many people as a lot of schools and universities start classes next week. But there is still Labor Day weekend......
Originally Posted by vike16
I went through the standard line around 3:40 pm today, took all of about 15 minutes to get through from the beginning until I got through security, which meant I killed an hour at my gate waiting for boarding to begin. I did see where the line was really long behind me so I may have gotten lucky with the timing.
I went through PreCheck around 3pm yesterday. Took 15 minutes with a growing line behind me, however they also opened up a 3rd baggage screening lane right as I was going through, so that presumably caught them back up; they're definitely paying attention to it. Actually the supervisor was reconfiguring pylons to get the line out of the lobby/blocking the arrivals door (4B, 5A?); he commented his job was to make sure the lines didn't appear too bad. I was tempted to make a comment about keeping the pressure from the media off, but yielded to my better judgement.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I am not sure how adding more check-in staff alleviates a choke point at security. I am however in favor of it, on my last flight out I was going to check my bag as I had time to kill on arrival and thought I had a good chance at picking up the bag guarantee miles. The bag drop line for Kettles (me) was easily half an hour so I became an overhead bin hog instead.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
I am not sure how adding more check-in staff alleviates a choke point at security. I am however in favor of it, on my last flight out I was going to check my bag as I had time to kill on arrival and thought I had a good chance at picking up the bag guarantee miles. The bag drop line for Kettles (me) was easily half an hour so I became an overhead bin hog instead.
Shorter lines for check in and bag drop enable passengers to get into the security lines earlier, so that even if security takes a long time, they're less likely to miss flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.