MSP Changes to TSA Checkpoints

Old Aug 15, 19, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
MSP Changes to TSA Checkpoints

MSP Airport is starting to replace the terrazzo floors in the TSA South Checkpoint area. This work is happening in sections and will continue through the end of the year.

Beginning on Monday, August 19, there will be changes to who can use each checkpoint:
  • NORTH CHECKPOINT: All standard travelers
  • SOUTH CHECKPOINT: All travelers with TSA Pre-Check and Clear Pre-Check, airport employees, and volunteers
It is my understanding that standard passengers who have CLEAR and/or SkyPriority (plus other airline elite status and First or Business tickets) but NOT PreCheck will have to use the North Checkpoint. Basically itís South for PreCheck and airport staff, North for everyone else.
Old Aug 15, 19, 4:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Will CLEAR still operate at North for those without PreCheck? Or will they be stuck waiting in the regular lines?
Old Aug 15, 19, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Will CLEAR still operate at North for those without PreCheck? Or will they be stuck waiting in the regular lines?
Iíve heard that there will be a CLEAR line at North. Iíll confirm Monday, when I plan to do a volunteer shift. But Iíd say that anyone flying out on Monday morning should allow extra time just because there will be a certain amount of confusion and angry passengers.
Old Aug 15, 19, 5:24 pm

So no precheck at all at the North checkpoint? So basically if flying from C, D, or E you get an extra walk across the airport mall?
Old Aug 15, 19, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL GM, Bonvoy Gold
Ugh, I saw the headline and hoped that they were finally going to fix the stupid system they created.
Old Aug 15, 19, 7:25 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer View Post
So no precheck at all at the North checkpoint? So basically if flying from C, D, or E you get an extra walk across the airport mall?
It seems a little discriminatory against all airlines that are not Delta, everyone else on E concourse and the AA overnights randomly on C and D. Though every time I have used Pre on the north it did seem under utilized compared to the regular line so I can see this change possibly increasing overall throughput.
Old Aug 15, 19, 7:59 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by Exiled in Express View Post
It seems a little discriminatory against all airlines that are not Delta, everyone else on E concourse and the AA overnights randomly on C and D. Though every time I have used Pre on the north it did seem under utilized compared to the regular line so I can see this change possibly increasing overall throughput.
With the current checkpoint configuration at MSP, there is little alternative when the airport plans to replace the flooring underneath the South security checkpoint lanes. North has 10 lanes of security screening capacity - South has only 6 lanes. If half of those six lanes are out of service for several weeks - then the other half out of service for the same period - there seems little alternative to the planned configuration.

I have no idea what TSA will do - but if they operate their trained dogs during this period, they may choose to operate the entire North checkpoint as "Pre Lite" as is sometimes done during peak periods, so North might not be as bad as you might think.
Old Aug 15, 19, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer View Post
Correct.
Old Aug 15, 19, 10:55 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CarmenOM View Post

Correct.
Or you go through a regular (nonPreheck) lane, with or without CLEAR. There's no requirement that if PreCheck appears on your boarding pass, you must use a PreCheck lane.
Old Aug 15, 19, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Or you go through a regular (nonPreheck) lane, with or without CLEAR. There's no requirement that if PreCheck appears on your boarding pass, you must use a PreCheck lane.

Right. You may use the North Checkpoint but you will relinquish PreCheck. People traveling together, only some of whom have PreCheck, might make that choice in order to stay together, especially now that they would have to use different checkpoints.
Old Aug 16, 19, 2:21 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)

Right. You may use the North Checkpoint but you will relinquish PreCheck. People traveling together, only some of whom have PreCheck, might make that choice in order to stay together, especially now that they would have to use different checkpoints.
Oh the LOOK my wife gave me the time I refused to skip TSAPre when traveling with her and her dad. I don't even regret it.
Old Aug 16, 19, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
Oh the LOOK my wife gave me the time I refused to skip TSAPre when traveling with her and her dad. I don't even regret it.
Extra points for her being with her Dad and being that brave. (Or idiotic, just semantics)
Old Aug 16, 19, 7:36 am

Agreed, almost missed a flight last month after the last c/f changes.
Old Aug 16, 19, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Exiled in Express View Post
Though every time I have used Pre on the north it did seem under utilized compared to the regular line so I can see this change possibly increasing overall throughput.
I've always found that a nice little benefit. Granted I've been flying predominantly AA lately so it makes sense to use that checkpoint. But having that available made me able to make a 440pm flight when I arrived at the airport at 425pm the other day.

Originally Posted by mnbp View Post
With the current checkpoint configuration at MSP, there is little alternative when the airport plans to replace the flooring underneath the South security checkpoint lanes. North has 10 lanes of security screening capacity - South has only 6 lanes. If half of those six lanes are out of service for several weeks - then the other half out of service for the same period - there seems little alternative to the planned configuration.
I don't think I've ever seen them use the full 10 at the north security checkpoint. Usually 4-6 lanes of regular and 1-2 of pre check. Really they could open the last set of lanes for north check point, while closing the regular lanes at south and they'd be net-even in screening capacity. But what I think is going to happen is they'll keep south pre-check at current level of 1-2 lanes and just make the north regular 6-8 lanes instead of 4-6. So precheck capacity is cut in half, increasing wait times in addition to the longer walk if you don't need to be at the south end.

And for anyone saying you can just use regular, that doesn't work out well since that line is usually longer/slower unless you have CLEAR to cut the line [and according to Fox 9 CLEAR is only being offered at south checkpoint as well]. So guess it's just longer times for everyone, arrive early.
Old Aug 16, 19, 11:57 am

Iíve heard that there will be a CLEAR line at North. Iíll confirm Monday, when I plan to do a volunteer shift. But Iíd say that anyone flying out on Monday morning should allow extra time just because there will be a certain amount of confusion and angry passengers.
Please verify this as apparently local TV news has said that there will be no CLEAR at North, meaning that CLEAR is useless for someone without PreCheck.

Also, what's happening to the elite lanes? Will there still be the nonPreCheck SkyPriority at South and the all airlines elite lane at North?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: