Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Columbus CMH - no SkyClub

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Columbus CMH - no SkyClub

I'm really surprised that Delta doesn't have a Sky Club in Columbus. Especially considering the fact that Columbus is the second-biggest city in the Midwest, beyond only Chicago. Yes, I realize Columbus isn't a hub -- it isn't a hub for any airline -- but it's amazing there isn't a Delta lounge, let alone a Priority Pass lounge.

Stepping off the soapbox now.

Last edited by 3Cforme; Mar 24, 2019 at 2:54 pm Reason: specific complaint
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I'm really surprised that Delta doesn't have a Sky Club in Columbus. Especially considering the fact that Columbus is the second-biggest city in the Midwest, beyond only Chicago. Yes, I realize Columbus isn't a hub -- it isn't a hub for any airline -- but it's amazing there isn't a Delta lounge, let alone a Priority Pass lounge.

City size is not a very important metric for airlines. Catchment area is a far more important metric and the Columbus catchment is likely somewhat smaller than Cleveland (which also has no Sky Club).
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle

There really isn't any space for any lounge even if DL wanted to put one there. The concourse that DL uses is pretty small and is not connected to either of the other two post security.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Population has nothing (or little to do with it). Question is what is the market for a SC? How many people willing to pay for a membership, pay a CC fee, or fly D1?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Dia, Avis Pres Club
CMH was once a hub for America West for what that is worth
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
When America West announced the end of its Columbus hub it had 49 flights a day to 15 destinations from CMH. That's very small by today's definition of a hub.

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus...10/daily5.html
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Especially considering the fact that Columbus is the second-biggest city in the Midwest, beyond only Chicago. .

This is misleading. You really need to consider the size of the metro area, not just the city. When you do Columbus drops down to 8, and it's smaller than both Cleveland and Cincinnati.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...opolitan_areas
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:16 pm

There is space in a vacant upper level closed restuarant. Maybe if Delta and CMH can come to agreement on an AMS flight a Skyclub would follow.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Diamond
My biggest complaint about CMH and Delta is they make you walk past all these unused gates to get to the farthest gate (C56) to get your flight. I think they do it so you have to walk past all the stores and the airport gets more rent. They are the biggest airline in the C concourse and they should have gates closest to security.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by DltaSchmlta
My biggest complaint about CMH and Delta is they make you walk past all these unused gates to get to the farthest gate (C56) to get your flight. I think they do it so you have to walk past all the stores and the airport gets more rent. They are the biggest airline in the C concourse and they should have gates closest to security.

Is it possible that the gates they use are better for operational reasons?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Often1
Population has nothing (or little to do with it). Question is what is the market for a SC? How many people willing to pay for a membership, pay a CC fee, or fly D1?
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
There really isn't any space for any lounge even if DL wanted to put one there. The concourse that DL uses is pretty small and is not connected to either of the other two post security.
Originally Posted by LBJ
City size is not a very important metric for airlines. Catchment area is a far more important metric and the Columbus catchment is likely somewhat smaller than Cleveland (which also has no Sky Club).
Regardless of how you split hairs, Columbus is the biggest city in Ohio and is the second biggest in the Midwest. I can't think of another city with 800,000-plus people without a Sky Club. Plus, you have Fortune 500 companies in or near Columbus on top of one of the biggest public universities in the country.

Just seems odd not to have even a Priority Pass lounge.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Regardless of how you split hairs, Columbus is the biggest city in Ohio and is the second biggest in the Midwest. I can't think of another city with 800,000-plus people without a Sky Club. Plus, you have Fortune 500 companies in or near Columbus on top of one of the biggest public universities in the country.

Just seems odd not to have even a Priority Pass lounge.
Umm PIT, just 2-hours away, does not have a SkyClub...and it had the PIT-CDG flight for a decade. It is also a very similar sized operation to CMH (if not a bit larger). I personally have never even wished that PIT have a SkyClub as I never spend any large amount of time there. Like CMH, it is a quick and-and-out for O&D traffic with no one loafing around for connections like in the hubs. PIT does have a new Priority Pass lounge though that, once again, I have never had the need to use.

For an even larger operation, look at BWI with no SkyClub (granted, not in the Midwest...but I am not sure how that fits into your metric)

I also don't consider it to be "splitting hairs" to call CVG and CLE larger populations...because they are. CMH, IND, BNA, etc have all annexed their suburbs to become much larger geographically. PIT, on the other hand, still has the same borders from 1907 I believe. Therefore, in the "city" of Pittsburgh, the population is only 300,000 people with it's relatively tiny geographic footprint. We all know there is not more than double the amount of people that fly out of CMH vs PIT. The catchment area (i.e. people who identify "Pittsburgh" as their home airport) for PIT is somewhere between 2.5 and 4 million people...which would make it quite a bit bigger than CMH.
wrp96 likes this.

Last edited by pgh234; Mar 24, 2019 at 5:41 pm
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I got a good chuckle reading that article posted above with Doug Parker’s quotes lol.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:46 pm

Regardless of how you split hairs, Columbus is the biggest city in Ohio and is the second biggest in the Midwest. .

It's not splitting hairs to point out that airports serve entire regions, not just the city they are located in. Therefore, the population of the city itself is meaningless. You have to, as I said in my above post, consider the population of a metropolitan area. Since you (bizarrely) are basing your argument about SC's on population, you should also consider this.
pgh234, CPMaverick, HDQDD and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:55 pm

Hall of Rants: Whats the Most Random and Pathetic Thing You Can Complain About?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.