Columbus CMH - no SkyClub

Reply

Old Mar 24, 19, 2:33 pm
  #1  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Posts: 6,336
Columbus CMH - no SkyClub

I'm really surprised that Delta doesn't have a Sky Club in Columbus. Especially considering the fact that Columbus is the second-biggest city in the Midwest, beyond only Chicago. Yes, I realize Columbus isn't a hub -- it isn't a hub for any airline -- but it's amazing there isn't a Delta lounge, let alone a Priority Pass lounge.

Stepping off the soapbox now.

Last edited by 3Cforme; Mar 24, 19 at 2:54 pm Reason: specific complaint
hockeyinsider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 19, 2:45 pm
  #2  
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 13,290
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
I'm really surprised that Delta doesn't have a Sky Club in Columbus. Especially considering the fact that Columbus is the second-biggest city in the Midwest, beyond only Chicago. Yes, I realize Columbus isn't a hub -- it isn't a hub for any airline -- but it's amazing there isn't a Delta lounge, let alone a Priority Pass lounge.

Stepping off the soapbox now.
City size is not a very important metric for airlines. Catchment area is a far more important metric and the Columbus catchment is likely somewhat smaller than Cleveland (which also has no Sky Club).
CPMaverick likes this.
LBJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 19, 2:48 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: St. Cloud, FL
Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Posts: 1,646
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
I'm really surprised that Delta doesn't have a Sky Club in Columbus. Especially considering the fact that Columbus is the second-biggest city in the Midwest, beyond only Chicago. Yes, I realize Columbus isn't a hub -- it isn't a hub for any airline -- but it's amazing there isn't a Delta lounge, let alone a Priority Pass lounge.

Stepping off the soapbox now.
There really isn't any space for any lounge even if DL wanted to put one there. The concourse that DL uses is pretty small and is not connected to either of the other two post security.
MCO Flyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 19, 2:59 pm
  #4  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 41,114
Population has nothing (or little to do with it). Question is what is the market for a SC? How many people willing to pay for a membership, pay a CC fee, or fly D1?
Often1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 19, 3:40 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MHT, CHS
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Dia, Avis Pres Club
Posts: 1,155
CMH was once a hub for America West for what that is worth
Singleflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 19, 3:58 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Posts: 28,174
When America West announced the end of its Columbus hub it had 49 flights a day to 15 destinations from CMH. That's very small by today's definition of a hub.

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus...10/daily5.html
3Cforme is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 19, 4:01 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL GM, Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 7,619
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
Especially considering the fact that Columbus is the second-biggest city in the Midwest, beyond only Chicago. .

This is misleading. You really need to consider the size of the metro area, not just the city. When you do Columbus drops down to 8, and it's smaller than both Cleveland and Cincinnati.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...opolitan_areas
jdrtravel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 19, 4:16 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 10
There is space in a vacant upper level closed restuarant. Maybe if Delta and CMH can come to agreement on an AMS flight a Skyclub would follow.
Paul E Thomas is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 19, 4:48 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 22
My biggest complaint about CMH and Delta is they make you walk past all these unused gates to get to the farthest gate (C56) to get your flight. I think they do it so you have to walk past all the stores and the airport gets more rent. They are the biggest airline in the C concourse and they should have gates closest to security.
DltaSchmlta is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 19, 5:13 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL GM, Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 7,619
Originally Posted by DltaSchmlta View Post
My biggest complaint about CMH and Delta is they make you walk past all these unused gates to get to the farthest gate (C56) to get your flight. I think they do it so you have to walk past all the stores and the airport gets more rent. They are the biggest airline in the C concourse and they should have gates closest to security.

Is it possible that the gates they use are better for operational reasons?
MSPeconomist likes this.
jdrtravel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 19, 5:20 pm
  #11  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Posts: 6,336
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Population has nothing (or little to do with it). Question is what is the market for a SC? How many people willing to pay for a membership, pay a CC fee, or fly D1?
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer View Post
There really isn't any space for any lounge even if DL wanted to put one there. The concourse that DL uses is pretty small and is not connected to either of the other two post security.
Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
City size is not a very important metric for airlines. Catchment area is a far more important metric and the Columbus catchment is likely somewhat smaller than Cleveland (which also has no Sky Club).
Regardless of how you split hairs, Columbus is the biggest city in Ohio and is the second biggest in the Midwest. I can't think of another city with 800,000-plus people without a Sky Club. Plus, you have Fortune 500 companies in or near Columbus on top of one of the biggest public universities in the country.

Just seems odd not to have even a Priority Pass lounge.
hockeyinsider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 19, 5:30 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: PIT, BWI, or IPT
Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Posts: 757
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
Regardless of how you split hairs, Columbus is the biggest city in Ohio and is the second biggest in the Midwest. I can't think of another city with 800,000-plus people without a Sky Club. Plus, you have Fortune 500 companies in or near Columbus on top of one of the biggest public universities in the country.

Just seems odd not to have even a Priority Pass lounge.
Umm PIT, just 2-hours away, does not have a SkyClub...and it had the PIT-CDG flight for a decade. It is also a very similar sized operation to CMH (if not a bit larger). I personally have never even wished that PIT have a SkyClub as I never spend any large amount of time there. Like CMH, it is a quick and-and-out for O&D traffic with no one loafing around for connections like in the hubs. PIT does have a new Priority Pass lounge though that, once again, I have never had the need to use.

For an even larger operation, look at BWI with no SkyClub (granted, not in the Midwest...but I am not sure how that fits into your metric)

I also don't consider it to be "splitting hairs" to call CVG and CLE larger populations...because they are. CMH, IND, BNA, etc have all annexed their suburbs to become much larger geographically. PIT, on the other hand, still has the same borders from 1907 I believe. Therefore, in the "city" of Pittsburgh, the population is only 300,000 people with it's relatively tiny geographic footprint. We all know there is not more than double the amount of people that fly out of CMH vs PIT. The catchment area (i.e. people who identify "Pittsburgh" as their home airport) for PIT is somewhere between 2.5 and 4 million people...which would make it quite a bit bigger than CMH.
CPMaverick and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by pgh234; Mar 24, 19 at 5:41 pm
pgh234 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 19, 5:42 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Posts: 5,825
I got a good chuckle reading that article posted above with Doug Parkerís quotes lol.
AANYC1981 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 19, 5:46 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL GM, Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 7,619
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
Regardless of how you split hairs, Columbus is the biggest city in Ohio and is the second biggest in the Midwest. .

It's not splitting hairs to point out that airports serve entire regions, not just the city they are located in. Therefore, the population of the city itself is meaningless. You have to, as I said in my above post, consider the population of a metropolitan area. Since you (bizarrely) are basing your argument about SC's on population, you should also consider this.
pgh234, CPMaverick, HDQDD and 1 others like this.
jdrtravel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 19, 6:55 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 305
Hall of Rants: Whats the Most Random and Pathetic Thing You Can Complain About?
WillBarrett_68 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread