Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Columbus CMH - no SkyClub

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2022, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by photojojo
The dirtiest skyclub is still cleaner than the cleanest gate.
The most crowded skyclub is still roomier than any crowded gate.
Free tequila versus $15 from an airport bar.
Free average food I can eat within a minute of entering the club versus standing in line for average food.
Private showers versus watching some dude splash water and hand soap on his twig and berries in a concourse restroom (ATL a few months ago and LGA about 9 years ago).

As they say; shut up and take my money.
average food you'd stand in line for that will also cost you 15 bucks.

and who doesn't like the "I'm going to take a shower in the ATL bathroom sink" type of people?
Old Aug 2, 2022, 9:08 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by james318
I would put PIT, CLE, DTW, CMH and CHI squarely in the "Great Lakes" category. Not midwestern, not mid-Atlantic, not northeast.
I grew up in South Jersey (it's not New England or New York or South, so Mid-Atlantic), and spent a year in B-school in Lafayette, IN (REALLY Midwest), and have lived the last 44 years (except for two in Tokyo) near Detroit. I have many relatives in the Pittsburgh area. I would agree there's a common thread among the former industrial cities of the region (PIT, CLE, DTW, CHI, MKE, maybe even BUF) that just feels different. Definitely not Midwest and not East Coast. Except for PIT, we all have easy access to the Great Lakes, so maybe it is okay to call it a Great Lakes culture. Now I don't know where that leaves CMH, since it's really not a former industrial city and is nowhere near a Great Lake. Maybe it's the city without a region
Old Aug 2, 2022, 9:15 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by LexPassenger
I see what you did there!

And anyone who thinks most north coast cities are not Midwestern will be disagreeing with almost everyone who lives in them.
Ummm...I get that "Midwest" conjures up a wholesome image in the American mind, so lots of places like to claim to be in the Midwest, but I've lived in the Detroit burbs for 42 of the last 44 years, and Detroit definitely is not Midwestern.
emma dog likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Detroiter
Ummm...I get that "Midwest" conjures up a wholesome image in the American mind, so lots of places like to claim to be in the Midwest, but I've lived in the Detroit burbs for 42 of the last 44 years, and Detroit definitely is not Midwestern.
Well according to the US government, Michigan is Midwestern for the Census and my wife’s family who has lived in the Detroit metro area even longer than 42 years very much considers themselves “Midwestern”.

https://www2.census.gov/geo/pdfs/map.../us_regdiv.pdf
Old Aug 2, 2022, 10:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Most people define midwest by state, so that PIT and BUF wouldn't be in the midwest. OTOH, if one thinks of the northern part of the central time zone, Ohio and most of Michigan wouldn't be considered to be in the midwest. (I need to constantly remind myself that DTW follows eastern time; I've come very close to missing connections over this.)
Old Aug 3, 2022, 5:50 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Most people define midwest by state, so that PIT and BUF wouldn't be in the midwest. OTOH, if one thinks of the northern part of the central time zone, Ohio and most of Michigan wouldn't be considered to be in the midwest. (I need to constantly remind myself that DTW follows eastern time; I've come very close to missing connections over this.)
They announce the time zone at DTW just about every 15 ninutes!
Crossinator likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 6:17 am

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
I think it depends upon what one compares Detroit to. Iowa or the Eastern Seaboard. It's closer to Iowa. Sorry 'bout that.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I guess we travel in different circles as I grew up 40 miles to the west of Detroit and have always considered region to be part of the Midwest. Again, if you look at most references, Michigan is quite firmly included in definition of Midwest. Maybe it's just a Boomer thing and you younger folks take the term literally.
ATOBTTR likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 7:31 am

Programs: Delta PM
Detroit (and Michigan) is VERY Midwest lol
Old Aug 3, 2022, 7:47 am

Programs: Delta PM, LATAM Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton, Hertz Gold, Silvercar, Sixt
I grew up in South Jersey (it's not New England or New York or South, so Mid-Atlantic), and spent a year in B-school in Lafayette, IN (REALLY Midwest), and have lived the last 44 years (except for two in Tokyo) near Detroit. I have many relatives in the Pittsburgh area. I would agree there's a common thread among the former industrial cities of the region (PIT, CLE, DTW, CHI, MKE, maybe even BUF) that just feels different. Definitely not Midwest and not East Coast. Except for PIT, we all have easy access to the Great Lakes, so maybe it is okay to call it a Great Lakes culture. Now I don't know where that leaves CMH, since it's really not a former industrial city and is nowhere near a Great Lake. Maybe it's the city without a region
An ex-girlfriend shared a comment heard at Ohio State while she was a student there: "Columbus is 1000 malls in search of a city." Seemed accurate to me!
Old Aug 3, 2022, 8:30 am

Again, this is just completely disconnected from the reality of how people use the word. There is no reasonable definition of "midwest" that doesn't include michigan.

perhaps you're confused about the differences between cities and the country?
Old Aug 3, 2022, 10:29 am

I moved from Lincoln, NE (midwestern literally and figuratively) to Cleveland and was surprised to find everyone here calling themselves midwestern. All the cities being rattled off could also be considered Rust Belt, but that’s a fairly negative identity. I like the Great Lakes association. I feel that Rochester is more like Cleveland than Cleveland is like St. Louis.

Getting back to the Escape Lounge location. SFO Centurian lounge is also not in the Delta terminal. I wonder if Amex is trying to appeal beyond the Delta FF?
Old Aug 3, 2022, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by zeke3
I moved from Lincoln, NE (midwestern literally and figuratively) to Cleveland and was surprised to find everyone here calling themselves midwestern. All the cities being rattled off could also be considered Rust Belt, but that’s a fairly negative identity. I like the Great Lakes association. I feel that Rochester is more like Cleveland than Cleveland is like St. Louis.
Funny. While it hasn't been mentioned yet, I feel like Dayton, OH is far more like Omaha, NE and Cincinnati, OH more like Indianapolis, IN and St Louis, MO than cities east of Ohio.

Originally Posted by zeke3
Getting back to the Escape Lounge location. SFO Centurian lounge is also not in the Delta terminal. I wonder if Amex is trying to appeal beyond the Delta FF?
The semi-conspiracy theorist in me almost wonders if this was purposeful to entice DL flyers in CMH to get a CC that would allow them into a SC or AmEx Lounges when flying DL by advertising access but by having the club in a terminal other than one DL uses, the club wouldn't see as high of operating costs by not seeing as much usage through not being in DL terminal.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
"The emergent consensus among scholars is that, of the 14 million prisoners who passed through the Gulag camps and the 4 million prisoners who passed through the Gulag colonies from 1930 to 1953, roughly 1.5 to 1.7 million prisoners perished there or died soon after their release"

"Among the prisoners there are some so ragged and lice-ridden that they pose a sanitary danger to the rest. These prisoners have deteriorated to the point of losing any resemblance to human beings. Lacking food…they collect orts [refuse] and, according to some prisoners, eat rats and dogs."

I get you are trying to be ha-ha funny about lounges, but I see no world in which a lounge is "a step above a gulag". Do they have issues? Sure. But I really don't understand this level of hyperbole for them. Maybe your experiences have been far worse than mine.

I guess I am not sure of your point with this? Is it to prove that hyperbole worked?

Edit: NVM....

Last edited by FlyingBeanCounter; Aug 3, 2022 at 12:49 pm
Old Aug 3, 2022, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium/Ambassador Elite , Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Red Coat told me several months ago CMH is scheduled to get a Sky Club when the new terminal opens, whenever that is. This may happen sooner v later because of the new Intel plants opening very close to the airport
ryandc99 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.