Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Columbus CMH - no SkyClub

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2022, 8:03 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by james318
I would put PIT, CLE, DTW, CMH and CHI squarely in the "Great Lakes" category. Not midwestern, not mid-Atlantic, not northeast.
So the Midwest begins at Kenosha? I can buy that.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 8:45 am

Not to be snotty, but who exactly likes to spend time in an airport? I run as fast as I can from security to the gate. I try to time my arrival to be 5 min within boarding. Sometimes I fail and get there early. Sometimes I am REALLY late.

The only time I use lounge is on a connection. And that is infrequent as I can make it. connecting flights = delay probability.

most lounges are dirty, crowded, and understaffed. Is it the prestige of having a lounge? Or do people really dig being in conditions roughly equivalent to a Canadian prison?
HDQDD and WillBarrett_68 like this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 8:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would put PIT, CLE, DTW, CMH and CHI squarely in the "Great Lakes" category. Not midwestern, not mid-Atlantic, not northeast.
Duluth and Milwaukee are located on a Great Lake too. PIT is about 120 miles from Lake Erie.

BTW, the Escape lounge photo posted above doesn't mention adult beverages. Aren't they planning to get a liquor license? AFAIK all other Escape lounges serve wine, etc.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An etymology lesson is in order here. The term "Midwest" dates back quite a number of years -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midwestern_United_States
While not accurate geographically, CLE, DTW, CMH, and CHI are all considered to be part of the "Midwest" by most classic definitions of the term and most residents of these area would indeed consider themselves to be "Midwesterners".
PanAmSam likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Delta has stated that only cities in Ohio with professional football teams get a SkyClub at the airport serving that city, which is why Cincinnati has a SkyClub while Columbus and Cleveland don't.
LoganFlyer and photojojo like this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 11:09 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
Not to be snotty, but who exactly likes to spend time in an airport? I run as fast as I can from security to the gate. I try to time my arrival to be 5 min within boarding. Sometimes I fail and get there early. Sometimes I am REALLY late.

The only time I use lounge is on a connection. And that is infrequent as I can make it. connecting flights = delay probability.

most lounges are dirty, crowded, and understaffed. Is it the prestige of having a lounge? Or do people really dig being in conditions roughly equivalent to a Canadian prison?
You won't believe this, but the subset of people who would subject themselves to hours of flights in economy just so they can keep status with an airline for another year find lounges and airports to be places they're interested in!
photojojo likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
The dirtiest skyclub is still cleaner than the cleanest gate.
The most crowded skyclub is still roomier than any crowded gate.
Free tequila versus $15 from an airport bar.
Free average food I can eat within a minute of entering the club versus standing in line for average food.
Private showers versus watching some dude splash water and hand soap on his twig and berries in a concourse restroom (ATL a few months ago and LGA about 9 years ago).

As they say; shut up and take my money.
Dawgfan6291, ATOBTTR and dtwlarry like this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by steveholt
You won't believe this, but the subset of people who would subject themselves to hours of flights in economy just so they can keep status with an airline for another year find lounges and airports to be places they're interested in!
I guess. When I was younger status was a thing for me. Of course back then status had a lot more useful traits.

Status now is a racket. People believe that they get something for nothing. Upgrade certificates that are almost impossible to use without effort, complimentary upgrades that are spotty, and crappy lounges that are a step above a gulag.

I suppose it is still better than the average economy flier receives. I am not sure of any other industry that shows their top tier customers their appreciation by punishing the rest of their customers.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 1:07 pm

same, I basically never use lounges at domestic outstations. occasionally duck in to make a flight change. Usually if I arrive at an airport before my phone tells me boarding has begun I feel like I've failed at time management for the day.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 1:09 pm

I see people make this argument that "ohio isn't midwestern" all the time and it's completely disconnected from the reality of how that term is used. Ohio is possibly THE MOST midwestern state.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 1:19 pm

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Delta has stated that only cities in Ohio with professional football teams get a SkyClub at the airport serving that city, which is why Cincinnati has a SkyClub while... Cleveland do(es)n't.
I see what you did there!

And anyone who thinks most north coast cities are not Midwestern will be disagreeing with almost everyone who lives in them.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 2:17 pm

The one thing Columbus had was the rental car place was an easy walk across the street. Now we have to endure the bus ride. It's getting worse not better!
Old Aug 2, 2022, 7:26 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Very disappointing this lounge won't be available to DL passengers without the extra security hassle.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 7:34 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by ryandc99
Very disappointing this lounge won't be available to DL passengers without the extra security hassle.
Such a weird decision given that Delta is the only airline Amex is contracted with.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
crappy lounges that are a step above a gulag.
"The emergent consensus among scholars is that, of the 14 million prisoners who passed through the Gulag camps and the 4 million prisoners who passed through the Gulag colonies from 1930 to 1953, roughly 1.5 to 1.7 million prisoners perished there or died soon after their release"

"Among the prisoners there are some so ragged and lice-ridden that they pose a sanitary danger to the rest. These prisoners have deteriorated to the point of losing any resemblance to human beings. Lacking food…they collect orts [refuse] and, according to some prisoners, eat rats and dogs."

I get you are trying to be ha-ha funny about lounges, but I see no world in which a lounge is "a step above a gulag". Do they have issues? Sure. But I really don't understand this level of hyperbole for them. Maybe your experiences have been far worse than mine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.