Detroit definitely is not Midwestern.

nonsense.

buckeye91 and Spanish like this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 6:03 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
nonsense.

Not everyone has the same definition of midwest, even people who self-identify as being midwestern. ( Which States Are in the Midwest? | FiveThirtyEight )

Old Aug 10, 2022, 3:53 am

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium/Ambassador Elite , Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
I grew up 50 min from Pittsburgh but have lived in Central Ohio most of my life.

To me, Pittsburgh always had a NE city feel to it. Then, heading west, Columbus was the first big midwestern city. Always had a different feel to it because Columbus was not as industrialized like PIT, CLE, DTW, CVG.

Columbus has prospered long term v many of those cities I mentioned because it was not a manufacturing centered city. Being the state capital, we always get plenty of white collar jobs and our infrastructure, for the most part, is good. Having one of the largest universities in the world here also helps.

Over the years, we have had mass migration from NE Ohio in particular into Central Ohio. Ton of Browns and Guardians fans.

My grandfather immigrated from Italy to Western PA for work in the coal mines. Similar stories can be said about CLE and DTW regarding immigration in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s. That’s why you see more ethnic market and restaurants in PIT, CLE and DTW. My wife and I will drive to CLE or PIT to go to various markets and bring back to CMH. CVG has a heavy German influence.

Where I live in Central Ohio, I’m 2:45 to DTW, 3:15 to PIT, 3hr to IND, 2 hr to CLE, 2 hr to CVG and 3:15 to both SDF and LEX. Logistics is big in Central Ohio being on I-70 and I-71, close to a large % of the US population

And, I can get to Lake Erie in 2 hours
Spanish likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 4:33 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Some people think Pennsylvania is in the midwest?

Get out of town.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer

Get out of town.
I'm willing to guess an even greater percentage of us Americans couldn't point out Pennsylvania on a blank map of the US.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 9:53 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
Not just people, but people who self-identify as being midwestern.

I'm originally from Illinois, of those surveyed who self-identified as being midwestern, Illinois scored the highest at 81% being in the midwest. What reasonable definition of the midwest doesn't include Illinois?!? Every other state scored lower than Illinois as being in the midwest.

Being from Illinois and having moved around a bit, including spending my college years in the northeast (Long Island), I never really considered Ohio to be in the 'midwest', not saying I'm right, just saying I always put them as an 'eastern' state, not 'midwest'.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 10:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Audeclis
I'm willing to guess an even greater percentage of us Americans couldn't point out Pennsylvania on a blank map of the US.
Within Pennsylvania, people from Philadelphia think Pittsburgh is in the midwest (and they don't mean it in a flattering way).
flg8rmatt likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 12:56 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by Audeclis
I am always shocked by this. And saddened. As an American, I can label all 50, the provinces of Canada, some of the states in Mexico...
Old Aug 11, 2022, 1:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In school, I was forced to learn states and state capitols, plus counties and county seats for my state (not Ohio).

Question: How many airports associated with state capitols have airports with SCs? With a lounge belonging to some other airline? With some third party airline lounge?

DC has lots of airport lounges (although not so many at BWI, perhaps due to its large WN presence), but many state capitols are located in smaller towns, such as Albany or Sacramento (third party lounge, newish). Also, there are states without a single airline lounge (I'd guess ND, SD, MS, AR, among others).
Old Aug 11, 2022, 4:56 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Folks - Time for a topic check. The escape lounge is coming, (not to DL).

Debating various semantics of the midwest is not on topic.

Ryandc99
Moderator Delta Air Lines
Old Aug 28, 2022, 10:11 am

I walked past the area where the CMH lounge is being built last week.

No sign of life, but there was a big board up saying coming soon. I milled around for a bit to see if any workers would come in or out so I could sneak a look at it, but nothing was going on.

Hopefully it's close to being opened soon.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Question: How many airports associated with state capitols have airports with SCs? With a lounge belonging to some other airline? With some third party airline lounge?
Well, for DL the following airports serve state capitals and have a SC:
-ATL
-AUS
-BNA
-BOS
-DEN
-HNL
-IND
-MSP
-PHX
-RDU
-SEA (Closest Commercial Airport to Olympia)
-SLC
Old Aug 28, 2022, 1:03 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Well, for DL the following airports serve state capitals and have a SC:
-ATL
-AUS
-BNA
-BOS
-DEN
-HNL
-IND
-MSP
-PHX
-RDU
-SEA (Closest Commercial Airport to Olympia)
-SLC
You forgot DCA, serving something that’s not-quite-a-state from across the river in Virginia. 😂

And if SEA counts for Olympia, then PDX counts for Salem. /s
Old Aug 28, 2022, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by emma dog
You forgot DCA, serving something that’s not-quite-a-state from across the river in Virginia. 😂

And if SEA counts for Olympia, then PDX counts for Salem. /s
Well I guess one could add Annapolis to that list since Annapolis is closer to DCA than Olympia is to SEA.

I included Olympia with SEA since it’s on the edge of the Seattle-Tacoma metro area and is about as close to SEA as northern parts of the Seattle metro area (northern Everett, etc) and since it’s the closest airport with service to the WA State House. That probably also does make Salem & PDX an edge case for this (probably meaningless) exercise since PDX is the closest airport with commercial service to Salem, OR.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 1:30 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Well I guess one could add Annapolis to that list since Annapolis is closer to DCA than Olympia is to SEA.
In case I wasn’t clear with my 😂 and my “/s”, I am being completely not serious in my response. I’m sorry if it wasn’t interpreted that way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.