Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Still Welcome! 2018-2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Still Welcome! 2018-2021

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2021, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by navi_jen
Glad you made it back to DC ATTOBR. Hope your place avoided major damage. Would be interesting to compare the damage quotient between the older homes (say pre WWII) versus the newer ones. I suspect there is less damage due to build quality
The experience sucked but overall we faired okay all things considered, especially compared to others in TX. Having lived up north before, we at least knew things like "let water slowly run from multiple faucets" to reduce the chances of the pipes freezing up and bursting. Definitely got chilly in the house at times and we had to throw away everything perishable out of the fridge/freezer since we lost power in long enough stints that stuff in the freezer started to thaw and it wasn't worth risking eating it.

Too many times I've experienced major travel disruptions when trying to travel over President's Day weekend (this was by far the worst disruption with 4 days to get to my destination), even in the South, and I think I should take it as a sign to not travel over President's Day weekend going forward unless I'm already living in Florida or SoCal or going further South like the Caribbean or Hawaii.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 6:02 pm

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The outdoor furniture can be used for breaks when you're working on the inside, before moving in. I hope it will go well with the (in ground, of course) pool.
Eggcellent point.
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Definitely got chilly in the house at times and we had to throw away everything perishable out of the fridge/freezer since we lost power in long enough stints that stuff in the freezer started to thaw and it wasn't worth risking eating it.

....going further South like the Caribbean or Hawaii.
Good point. One good thing about living up north, one learns about cold weather. I once had to teach a Californian on my team how to drive in snow! Sorry about the food...that's happened to me before and it's a wallet wincing moment. A friend of mine outside Austin just posted a picture of his pool circulation pump....world's largest popcicle. It's not health inducing damage, but it's going to be expensive

And the Caribbean. How I miss it so....

Last edited by navi_jen; Feb 22, 2021 at 6:39 am
Old Feb 21, 2021, 7:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
The experience sucked but overall we faired okay all things considered, especially compared to others in TX. Having lived up north before, we at least knew things like "let water slowly run from multiple faucets" to reduce the chances of the pipes freezing up and bursting. Definitely got chilly in the house at times and we had to throw away everything perishable out of the fridge/freezer since we lost power in long enough stints that stuff in the freezer started to thaw and it wasn't worth risking eating it.

Too many times I've experienced major travel disruptions when trying to travel over President's Day weekend (this was by far the worst disruption with 4 days to get to my destination), even in the South, and I think I should take it as a sign to not travel over President's Day weekend going forward unless I'm already living in Florida or SoCal or going further South like the Caribbean or Hawaii.
Many years ago, I had the misfortune to fill a freezer with several hundred dollars in groceries shortly before a hurricane knocked out our power for two weeks. That was painful.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 7:36 am

Morning, Lounge. I'm watching a snow squall this morning, and am happy I don't have to venture outside.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 7:50 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by kipper
Many years ago, I had the misfortune to fill a freezer with several hundred dollars in groceries shortly before a hurricane knocked out our power for two weeks. That was painful.
When I was in high school, my parents had just purchased a full ribeye cut into steaks when we had a hurricane come through and knock out the power for at least a week. I’m not sure how many nights in a row we ate steaks on the grill.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by mattp1987
When I was in high school, my parents had just purchased a full ribeye cut into steaks when we had a hurricane come through and knock out the power for at least a week. I’m not sure how many nights in a row we ate steaks on the grill.
In my case, we evacuated prior to the hurricane, so everything was lost.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by kipper
In my case, we evacuated prior to the hurricane, so everything was lost.
That stinks (probably literally). Sorry to hear that.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 8:37 am

That stinks (probably literally). Sorry to hear that.
It taught me not to stock up on perishable items when living in a hurricane zone during hurricane season.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 11:29 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
That sounds like an expensive and smelly lesson.

I wouldn't mind many consecutive nights of grilled steak for dinner as long as it's served rare.
navi_jen likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 12:46 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Today is National Margarita Day
https://nationalmargaritaday.com/
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That sounds like an expensive and smelly lesson.

I wouldn't mind many consecutive nights of grilled steak for dinner as long as it's served rare.
It was expensive and stinky.
Originally Posted by Zorak
Yay!!!
Old Feb 22, 2021, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
Too bad I promised myself I'm not drinking this week until Thursday happy hour. Maybe I'll have a belated celebration.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 2:40 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's now +41 F in Minneapolis. Wind chill is +34 F.
navi_jen likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Too bad I promised myself I'm not drinking this week until Thursday happy hour. Maybe I'll have a belated celebration.
yeah, I'm in similar condition ... also need to restock the tequila and orange Curacao, which probably won't happen until Thurs anyway

;
Old Feb 23, 2021, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by jrl767
yeah, I'm in similar condition ... also need to restock the tequila and orange Curacao, which probably won't happen until Thurs anyway

;
Running out of tequila is a serious issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.