Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Still Welcome! 2018-2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Still Welcome! 2018-2021

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2021, 6:41 am

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Originally Posted by mattp1987
We were looking through the romantic film section on HBO Max and settled on Up in the Air. I think that’s a pretty good Delta Forum Lounge Valentine’s choice.
I love that movie. The Clooney character nails the consultant lifestyle to a T.

Pumpkin dropped off some Valentine's Day chocolate to the neighbor's kids, was a big hit. Relatively quiet weekend here, gearing up for the big day tomorrow. Glued to the TV on Saturday while also shopping for area rugs...so I have about a gazillion area rug samples on order. And, discovered that I totally missed the ball for getting a slip at the local inexpensive marina. Gonna have to go the Yacht Club route (ouch) if I want my boat in the water for the full season.

Lots of logistical stuff on tap today....Walkthru, changing utilities, sending over the final closing payment (ouch). Oh, and shoveling the 8-12 inches we are supposed to get before my 9am close tomorrow.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 7:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You just need to immediately build a pool for the boat.

BTW, it's -36 F (actual air temp, not wind chill) in Hibbing, the closest slightly bigger town near Chisholm (which shows on local TV weather maps).

MSP is in the middle of the longest stretch (approximately 115 hours) of weather below zero since about 1989. We hit +1 F on Thursday afternoon, briefly. The record from way back is supposed to be about 180 hours, which we won't approach this time.
El Boocho likes this.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Feb 15, 2021 at 7:33 am
Old Feb 15, 2021, 8:13 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by El Boocho
Missed SNL last night. I'll check it out. Somehow I've avoided covid (so far) but contracted shingles this week. This sucks. I'm not old enough for this crap.
Shingles is really nasty. Hopefully not the variety on your head and/ or face. That can lead to blindness. (See note below.) After you recover be sure to get vaccinated since you could get shingles again. You do need a gap after getting COVID vaccine before getting shingles vaccine. It's also 2 shots and he second can be as much as 6 months after the first.

Note re: blindness - The risk with shingles on the head and face is real unlike the threat posed by male teenage masturbation.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 8:47 am

Fortunately it is on my leg. More itchy than painful, but some pain. I wonder if they will even give me the shot since I'm not 50 and don't have any pre-existing conditions/known immunocompromises.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 10:55 am

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Fortunately it is on my leg. More itchy than painful, but some pain. I wonder if they will even give me the shot since I'm not 50 and don't have any pre-existing conditions/known immunocompromises.
Man, I'm sorry. My sister and mom have both had it....hoping you come thru without a hitch. Do be careful though and keep and eye on your eyes. My Mom couldn't wear contacts for a year after her bout. Hoping the pain goes away soon...as that was the worst part for my sister.

And MSP, now you have confirmed the reason why I never considered a move to MSP. Good god. Those are nose falling off the face numbers. Stay warm and safe. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Last edited by navi_jen; Feb 15, 2021 at 1:50 pm
Old Feb 15, 2021, 12:53 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Work from home can be nice. Even before COVID-19, I tried to work from my home office when the weather was bad. Bonus: avoid hour traffic, although I rarely would commute during rush hour anyway.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 2:02 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Hope it improves soon! I'm going to ask my PCP about getting the shingles vaccine. I'm not old enough, but I would guess I'm probably likely to get it at some point.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Work from home can be nice. Even before COVID-19, I tried to work from my home office when the weather was bad. Bonus: avoid hour traffic, although I rarely would commute during rush hour anyway.
I don't have to work today.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
I'd check with your physician after you recover from this occurrence. Once you've had shingles I believe the risk of having it again increases. My stepson also had shingles before age 50 and did get vaccinated afterwards. I've read that Shingrex is the preferred vaccine.

I had it after I was 50 but before the vaccines.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 2:52 pm

Do you know whether you had chicken pox as a kid? Were you ever vaccinated for it? (I'm not sure when chicken pox became a thing of the past due to vaccinating young children.)
Old Feb 15, 2021, 5:56 pm

Do you know whether you had chicken pox as a kid? Were you ever vaccinated for it? (I'm not sure when chicken pox became a thing of the past due to vaccinating young children.)
I'm not sure we've really eradicated chicken pox. I think there are too many Karens who refuse to vaccinate their kids.
AeRoSpaceman and HohoGAP like this.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 9:06 pm

I did have it. I remember it well because I was in middle school and was pretty bad. The vaccine came after I was a kid.

Kipper is right. It's still out there but not that common. I think it is more like mumps than small pox.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 2:27 am

I did have it. I remember it well because I was in middle school and was pretty bad. The vaccine came after I was a kid.

Kipper is right. It's still out there but not that common. I think it is more like mumps than small pox.
The chicken pox vaccine was approved for use in the U.S. in 1995. The vaccine hasn't eradicated the disease, but has greatly reduced deaths from the disease.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 9:31 am

I was asking because my understanding is that shingles hits older folks who have previously had chicken pox. [I'm not sure whether having had the chicken pox vaccine means that you can get shingles or not.]

Obviously chicken pox is a disease of the past for kids who have had the vaccine.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 9:50 am

I was asking because my understanding is that shingles hits older folks who have previously had chicken pox. [I'm not sure whether having had the chicken pox vaccine means that you can get shingles or not.]

Obviously chicken pox is a disease of the past for kids who have had the vaccine.
I believe you can still get shingles if you've received the chicken pox vaccine.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
It's a great day to have a beer with lunch. I am on a Zoom for an entrepreneurship competition and I am scaring the .... out of the undergrad students

-J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.