Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What (nonstop) route do you wish Delta would really have?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What (nonstop) route do you wish Delta would really have?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:22 am

Programs: Priority Club Pl, Marriot Gold, Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, TSA Pre✓
Most desired ATL-SIN, ATL-BKK, ATL-KUL
But these would be fine also: DTW-SIN, MSP-SIN
The point is we would like a NonStop to Southeast Asia on Delta. Singapore airlines has EWR-SIN and SFO-SIN. United has SFO-SIN (which is not bad out of TPA since TPA has nonstop to SFO which connects to SFO-SIN with a short layover).

We want a one short layover connection from TPA to southeast Asia on DL - not connecting again in Seoul on KE. We fly to Southeast Asia twice a year for pleasure.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by davidlhanson
Most desired ATL-SIN, ATL-BKK, ATL-KUL
But these would be fine also: DTW-SIN, MSP-SIN
The point is we would like a NonStop to Southeast Asia on Delta. Singapore airlines has EWR-SIN and SFO-SIN. United has SFO-SIN (which is not bad out of TPA since TPA has nonstop to SFO which connects to SFO-SIN with a short layover).

We want a one short layover connection from TPA to southeast Asia on DL - not connecting again in Seoul on KE. We fly to Southeast Asia twice a year for pleasure.
This truly is a wish-list... Evening ignoring the economics of it, the only flight Delta might be able to operate is MSP-SIN on one of its 772LR - although these flights would often have to fly payload restricted if winds were not favorable. ATL and DTW are both out of the range of any of Delta's fleet (assuming Delta wanted to fly the plane more than half full anyways). The only plane in the world capable of operating non-ferry service ATL-SIN would be an A350-900ULR - and even that would have to have a very premium cabin heavy configuration (Airbus's published 9,700 nmi range is very, very optimistic and ATL-SIN is 8700 nmi).

For comparison, the world's longest route is SIN-EWR on Singapore Airlines's A350-900ULR at 9,521 statute miles. SIN-ATL is 9,963 statute miles. The flight from SIN would be just shy of 20 hours long nonstop.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by soliloquy
1. This is a wishful thinking thread, so I posted in that light.

2. Charlotte is larger than Seattle, Salt Lake City, Minneapolis, Cincinnati, Boston, Atlanta and Detroit. Of the hubs in the photo, only Los Angeles and New York are larger so your population argument is curious. Could you elaborate?

3. We agree on the uphill battle. Charlotte is more than just a hub for American, it is it's most profitable hub. Any substantial encroachment on its bottom line and American would be making threats not unlike US Airways did before they merged together. Nonetheless, Charlotteans would certainly utilize a new competitive airlines (if they didn't have to connect in Atlanta). We already pay 20% more in airfare compared to most other cities and I guarantee, we are tired of it. Many people drive to Raleigh, Greensboro, and even Columbia SC for cheaper fares.
Yes, I know it's a wishlist.. sorry for being a bit of a wet blanket. That said, a relatively large city to LAX is normally within the realm of consideration (obviously CLT-SNA, LGB, or any other LA secondary airport will never happen) - but with CLT being an AA fortress hub (90%+ of flights) it just isn't going to happen.

Regarding the population - I'm not sure what you're talking about... firstly, it doesn't matter what the population of Delta's hubs are (other than that it may drive greater O&D traffic). Further, out of the cities you listed, only SLC (primarily a Delta regional connecting hub) and CVG (barely even a focus city) are smaller than Charlotte. Unless you mean city proper.. which doesn't really matter (e.g., Atlanta city proper is less than 500K but the metro region is about 6 million).
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: Several...
Originally Posted by ethernal
Yes, I know it's a wishlist.. sorry for being a bit of a wet blanket. That said, a relatively large city to LAX is normally within the realm of consideration (obviously CLT-SNA, LGB, or any other LA secondary airport will never happen) - but with CLT being an AA fortress hub (90%+ of flights) it just isn't going to happen.

Regarding the population - I'm not sure what you're talking about... firstly, it doesn't matter what the population of Delta's hubs are (other than that it may drive greater O&D traffic). Further, out of the cities you listed, only SLC (primarily a Delta regional connecting hub) and CVG (barely even a focus city) are smaller than Charlotte. Unless you mean city proper.. which doesn't really matter (e.g., Atlanta city proper is less than 500K but the metro region is about 6 million).
You said..."Delta is never big on doing a lot of routes out of competitor hubs, especially when said hubs are smaller cities like Charlotte." I was telling you that Charlotte isn't a "smaller" city compared to their other hubs. Charlotte is the 17th largest city in the United States with a population of 859,035 in 2017. While the city proper has 810,000 residents, the larger urban area has 1.25 million people. The Charlotte metropolitan area has almost 2.4 million people, which makes it the 22nd largest in the U.S. I'm just not understanding what your point was with that sentence.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:42 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by skakade
A couple of years back delta got ATL to OAK as seasonal. Right now I fly, DTW to SFO or DTW to SJC. Would really like them to start DTW to OAK for better connectivity to east bay.
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
Didn't they cancel it before it began?
I believe ATL-OAK is still a summer seasonal flight (evening flight westbound; red eye flight eastbound).
I'd love more OAK connectivity to the DL network. I'd take a short OAK-LAX or OAK-SEA flight first though, to give more 1-stop connectivity to transcon and international flights.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Charlotte is the 17th largest city in the United States with a population of 859,035 in 2017. While the city proper has 810,000 residents, the larger urban area has 1.25 million people. The Charlotte metropolitan area has almost 2.4 million people, which makes it the 22nd largest in the U.S.
You can tell how big Charlotte is all day long. In terms of U.S. airports in domestic Origin and Destination traffic it doesn't even make the top 30. In that metric it's smaller than PDX, SLC or AUS.

From the MCO airport authority:

ethernal and FlyBitcoin like this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:50 am

You said..."Delta is never big on doing a lot of routes out of competitor hubs, especially when said hubs are smaller cities like Charlotte." I was telling you that Charlotte isn't a "smaller" city compared to their other hubs. Charlotte is the 17th largest city in the United States with a population of 859,035 in 2017. While the city proper has 810,000 residents, the larger urban area has 1.25 million people. The Charlotte metropolitan area has almost 2.4 million people, which makes it the 22nd largest in the U.S. I'm just not understanding what your point was with that sentence.
When you say "other" hubs.. do you mean Delta hubs or American Airline hubs? I was saying that Delta does not like to do routes to competitor hubs unless they have to - and this was doubly so when the cities are smaller cities (anything outside of the top 10-15 would be a "smaller city" - and CLT doesn't have an O&D draw like a Las Vegas or Orlando would so it even punches below its weight class as is). As an extreme example of this, Delta does not fly LAX-ORD - despite this connecting the #2 and #3 largest metro areas in the United States.

By hub standards, Charlotte is small. The only smaller hub in the United States is Salt Lake City. After Charlotte, the "next smallest" hub is United out of Denver. Delta does fly CLT-SLC but that is because there are a lot of regional cities served by SLC that are not competitively serviced out of Charlotte (it would require a connection, and for many of the destinations SLC is a superior connecting point). Compare this to LAX - on O&D Delta will lose to AA given the hub on both ends and Delta is at a huge disadvantage connecting. Virtually every connecting destination past LAX is better served (in terms of great circle distance, connection time/frequency, and likelihood of delay) by AA hubs at PHX, DFW, or MIA.

Delta is not likely going to try to start transcon service (which, due to distance, is very yield sensitive) to a smaller city that is a very large hub for a competitor airline that also has a hub at the other end where it has no competitive advantage on connecting traffic.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
2. Charlotte is larger than Seattle, Salt Lake City, Minneapolis, Cincinnati, Boston, Atlanta and Detroit. Of the hubs in the photo, only Los Angeles and New York are larger so your population argument is curious. Could you elaborate?
Seriously?! What are they putting in the CLT water?
ethernal likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
I was telling you that Charlotte isn't a "smaller" city compared to their other hubs.
Except, it is. CLT is 20th in CSA size at 2.68M. The only DL hub smaller is SLC (assuming we aren't calling CVG a hub) at 2.56M. MSP is 3.95M, SEA 4.76M, DTW 5.34M, ATL 6.56, BOS 8.23M, LAX 18.79M, and NYC 23.88M.
ethernal likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: Several...
I wasn't exactly sure what "smaller city" meant in that initial post. It didn't say "smaller hub." Now that I go back and read it, you are talking about the size of the hub and not the size of the population. But, that was not clear to me when I first read your comment. I guess I could respond with some sarcasm (not to ethernal because that is just an explanation) like I see so many people do, but I don't see the point in that. I don't mind learning from others and I don't see the need to be rude whether I'm right or wrong.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
Does anyone know how Delta plans to use the additional gate they are to receive once the upgrades to Terminal A are completed? Delta currently uses 6 gates for 35 daily flights. One would think that the number of flights will increase with the addition of another gate, especially since the current 6 gates aren’t at full capacity. I’ve heard rumors of nonstop service from CLT to BOS, PHL and DCA. Only rumors though . . . I could see BOS since it is a Delta hub. It would be nice to have the A220 flying to both LAX and SEA, but I will be happy for the nonstops to BOS.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by CLTRob
Does anyone know how Delta plans to use the additional gate they are to receive once the upgrades to Terminal A are completed? Delta currently uses 6 gates for 35 daily flights. One would think that the number of flights will increase with the addition of another gate, especially since the current 6 gates aren’t at full capacity. I’ve heard rumors of nonstop service from CLT to BOS, PHL and DCA. Only rumors though . . . I could see BOS since it is a Delta hub. It would be nice to have the A220 flying to both LAX and SEA, but I will be happy for the nonstops to BOS.
I could see some BOS connectivity in CLT's future although I am not sure what the O&D is between those two city pairs.

I would love to see A220 do long-and-thin, but not sure if that is how Delta plans to use it (can Delta's derated A221s even do something like CLT/LAX? Does anyone even know the official de-rate they took)?
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
Wish there was a direct YYZ-SEA on Delta to compete with Air Canada, and open up more good connections/timings to Asia via SEA.

I heard through the grapevine that AC paid Delta to not do that route. I have no idea how much truth there is to that.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:43 pm

LAX-ORD would be a lifesaver.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:10 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver

Since different states set different annexation and municipal consolidation rules for urban core city populations, it's best to use metro area size estimates 2018:

Atlanta 5.8 million
Boston 4.6 million
Detroit 4.2 million (add in adjacent areas like Ann Arbor and Windsor and you go over 5 million)
Seattle 3.7 million
MSP- 3.2 million
Charlotte 2.4 million
Cincinnati- 2.1 million
Salt Lake City- 1,2 million
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.