Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 Upgrade Success (Or Lack Thereof)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Something weird is definitely going on with DL's upgrade system...

My uncle (FO) and his daughter (no status) were #3 and #4 on the upgrade list for their flight tomorrow (award tickets) when they checked in this morning - there was one F seat left.
This evening, they were both upgraded to First, apparently taking the last two seats as First is now full, and the two people who were above them on the list are still on the list.

Based on posts above, it seems like Silvers traveling with a companion on award tickets might have some magical upgrade priority?
The only other theory I can come up with is that there was a slight schedule change on their flight, so maybe that classified them as "inconvenienced travelers" or something...?

In any case, this goes against Delta's published upgrade rules.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 9:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by pvn
I just booked a domestic flight for monday (so we're already inside the DM/PM upgrade window), Q fare. I was instantly upgraded to F on one of the segments, which happens fairly frequently when I book inside the window, but this was weird. It dumped me into 1D, so I went to the seat map to pick a different seat, and the entire cabin is greyed out.

I just did a dummy booking for that leg, and F is indeed sold out.

How is that possible? Why would they upgrade me into F and close it out rather than save that seat for a possible purchase??? I've never seen anything like this before.

It's a republic-operated E170 flight, FWIW.
I've had this happen before on DTW-LAX and it made zero sense. Nonetheless I enjoyed my F seat.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
My “Your Diamond Medallion Member Check-In” email this morning confirmed my subjective sense that my upgrades this year have been pretty spotty. “This year, you’ve sat up front on 46% of flights.” And, for the record, I paid for a good chunk of that 46% in F/J.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
I got the Diamond check-in too. Due to a job change, my flights have gone from a mid-range to short hops and at high fare buckets, so even though I do buy A fares now and then, I think I'm running at about 75% UG on Y fares. I'm not doing ATL>LAX or other tough UG routes very often but there has been a definite improvement this year going from PM to DM. I think in future years PM would be better for me after DM #'s go down due to qualification changes, because I'm usually in higher fare buckets, but overall this UG rate pleases me.

Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
I've had this happen before on DTW-LAX and it made zero sense. Nonetheless I enjoyed my F seat.
It happened to me on MSN>DTW just last week. Bought K fare inside window, instantly upgraded and after UG, F was sold out. And when I took the flight, the waitlist for UG was at 48 on an MD90. Go figure. I am guessing that maybe there is an algorithm for higher priced Y fares to move up if at PM/DM, IDK? I also don't know if they hold back some F seats for TSA or whatever so it's not really sold out and they know that. A lot I don't know basically but I do know I got an instant upgrade on a K fare for a flight you could then no longer buy F tickets for at delta.com
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:41 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by pvn
I just booked a domestic flight for monday (so we're already inside the DM/PM upgrade window), Q fare. I was instantly upgraded to F on one of the segments, which happens fairly frequently when I book inside the window, but this was weird. It dumped me into 1D, so I went to the seat map to pick a different seat, and the entire cabin is greyed out.

I just did a dummy booking for that leg, and F is indeed sold out.

How is that possible? Why would they upgrade me into F and close it out rather than save that seat for a possible purchase??? I've never seen anything like this before.

It's a republic-operated E170 flight, FWIW.

I SDC'd to a different routing and this seat did not become available, it's still showing "sold out" in F when I do a dummy booking.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: DL-PM
Recent flights, had pretty good luck with a last minute purchase:

PHX-DTW Upgraded at booking flight left with 2 empty in F
DTW-YYZ Upgraded at booking F Full nobody on list
YYZ-ATL Upgrade at booking F full 2 left on list
ATL-LAS Upgraded at booking flight went out with 4 empty in F

Pretty surprising, though I guess that makes sense for Saturday redeye & Monday night travel.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:55 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
MEM-LGA today

Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Question:

I know that upgrades are based on status, fare class and then other things like DL Reserve Card, certain corp accounts etc. Question is where does econ comfort, if actually purchased at time of booking fall into the pecking order. Meaning, on an upcoming flight, I can buy a X fare which will put me at the tail end of the Diamonds or I can buy W. Does the W actually sit higher in the pecking order than coach fares if actually purchased ? Thanks
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I too like the summary from DL. Would be nice to have you've been upgraded % vs paid F/J.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: DL Diamond , Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Per the DL email Im at 40% on the year flying in first as a platinum. That's all upgrades, as I have zero paid F tickets this year to date. That being said my % lately has been abysmal. SRQ's summer "down" months have been anything but down this year. More elites than I have ever seen during the summer.

SRQ- ATL #6 for 1 seat
ATL-LAX #16 for 0 seats
LAX-ATL Cleared at the gate on a RUC to the last available seat
ATL-SRQ #10 for 2 seats 30+ on UG list

SRQ- ATL #21 for 0 seats. 40+ on UG list
ATL- AUS #14 for 0 seats
AUS-ATL #9 for 1 seat
ATL-SRQ #26 for 3 seats 40+ on UG list
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mizzou miles
Question:

I know that upgrades are based on status, fare class and then other things like DL Reserve Card, certain corp accounts etc. Question is where does econ comfort, if actually purchased at time of booking fall into the pecking order. Meaning, on an upcoming flight, I can buy a X fare which will put me at the tail end of the Diamonds or I can buy W. Does the W actually sit higher in the pecking order than coach fares if actually purchased ? Thanks
Most assume they use the underlying fare class for the W fare for upgrade priority. So a W fare with underlying X would likely fall below a main cabin T (or higher) fare.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by mmoser2
Per the DL email Im at 40% on the year flying in first as a platinum. That's all upgrades, as I have zero paid F tickets this year to date. That being said my % lately has been abysmal. SRQ's summer "down" months have been anything but down this year. More elites than I have ever seen during the summer.
I'm jealous, my email says 27%, which includes paid, and garbage upgrades on one hour regional flights. On the bright side, I upgraded into First tomorrow to LAS, sadly there looks to be no space in D1 on the way back.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA PPro, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec, HH Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by aacar
Something weird is definitely going on with DL's upgrade system...
Definitely concur. Infrequent poster here but I frequently monitor the board... PM with LAX-LIH on Friday and there are a whopping 10x FC open, still no upgrade and I'm T-72 hours out. Called Medallion line, they said the complimentary upgrade seats for that specific day still haven't been released for all flights/system wide. Odd?!?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Aviacentre
Definitely concur. Infrequent poster here but I frequently monitor the board... PM with LAX-LIH on Friday and there are a whopping 10x FC open, still no upgrade and I'm T-72 hours out. Called Medallion line, they said the complimentary upgrade seats for that specific day still haven't been released for all flights/system wide. Odd?!?
The reason you've underlined is definitely made up

But it's not unusual for a Hawaii route on a weekend to hold back upgrades, especially for PMs...I've seen 6-10 open and haven't cleared as DM until the gate and didn't find it unusual

Lots of last minute F and buy ups that happen on these routes so they send many of the upgrades to the gate now unfortunately

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.