Wiki Posts
Search

2018 Upgrade Success (Or Lack Thereof)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:58 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I've had 14 window upgrades this year on 28 eligible segments (excluding IRROPS segments and segments where RUCs cleared at booking) (note: my numbers are probably lower than they "should" be because I often buy inside the window when RU is already exhausted)
Old Apr 4, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: DL 2 MM
Originally Posted by WisMan
Been wanting to ask for feedback on this.... feels like a very low success rate. Fly mainly out of MKE - all personal travel. Reached Platinum status late last year - and promptly went 0 out of 10 on F class upgrades (don't typically do C+ upgrades).

This year so far, I am 2 of 10 in F upgrades as a PM. So, 2-20 (10%) in the last 5 months or so.

Flying all days of the week (including Saturday) - doesn't seem to make a difference. I do all my travel with Delta, in hopes of getting upgrades mainly, and also to build SkyPesos for award travel. Even if that means I skip the direct flight on SWA, and take a connection through ATL/DTW/MSP.

Have I just been unlucky? Or is this the new norm? 10%? If this is the new normal, then I guess I am finally willing to give SWA a try (I have never flown them, as I am above average height (6'5") and terrified of getting no leg room).

Thoughts?
I fly out of MKE also. I am DM, but trends should be similar for PM.

I definitely find upgrades easier on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday a.m. (for weekdays).

DTW/ATL are typically a gimme. Waiting in the club right now for MKE-DTW and there were 7 seats available as of an hour ago - with about 15 on the list. Guessing all plats, some golds may be upgraded.

Hardest has been Monday morning to MSP.

Easiest seems to be LGA. When I was PM I don't think I ever missed MKE-LGA-MKE - and probably 90% of the time was at the window.

I've got a post about a page back in this thread. Granted it is as a Diamond, but I definitely see patterns out of MKE.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 11:54 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
As FO:
1/26: DL 782 RDU-DTW 717-200 X Fare: 19 and 20 out of 28 for F, 2 and 3 of 3 for C+
1/29: DL 4051 JFK-RDU CRJ-900 X Fare: 1 and 2 out of 6 for F. Annoyingly there was an empty seat in F but the F/A refused to move me up because "only the gate agent can"

As GM:
2/03: DL 3623 RDU-LGA CRJ-900 X Fare: 1 and 2 out of 6 for F.
2/10: DL 3623 RDU-LGA CRJ-900 X Fare: Cleared with Companion at T-72.
2/22 DL 5484 RDU-EWR CRJ-700 X Fare: Cleared at T-72
2/25 DL 1606 LAS-ATL A-321 T Fare: #10 of 17, C+ at T-72
2/26 DL 2351 ATL-RDU MD-88 T Fare: #38 of 64, 21 of 35 for C+
3/30 DL 2773 RDU-DTW MD-90 T Fare: Cleared at Window
3/30 DL 6201 DTW-YYZ CRJ-900 T Fare: Cleared at Window
3/31 DL 2551 YYZ-ATL 717-200 V Fare: Cleared at Gate
3/31 DL 1177 ATL-RDU MD-88 V Fare: Cleared at Gate
4/04 DL 6228 RDU-DCA CRJ-700 V Fare: Cleared at Window

Currently 58.33% (7/12)
Old Apr 5, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by TommyD2
I fly out of MKE also. I am DM, but trends should be similar for PM.

I definitely find upgrades easier on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday a.m. (for weekdays).

DTW/ATL are typically a gimme. Waiting in the club right now for MKE-DTW and there were 7 seats available as of an hour ago - with about 15 on the list. Guessing all plats, some golds may be upgraded.

Hardest has been Monday morning to MSP.

Easiest seems to be LGA. When I was PM I don't think I ever missed MKE-LGA-MKE - and probably 90% of the time was at the window.

I've got a post about a page back in this thread. Granted it is as a Diamond, but I definitely see patterns out of MKE.
I definitely don't have that kind of luck as a PM. Last year, a gate agent in JAX told me that, as a %, JAX was #1 in Diamonds (as compared to seats avail) and MKE was #2 in the country. I asked why MKE - and she told me it was due to being an old NW heavy airport. Makes sense.

Just so frustrating - I even have the Reserve card, as that is supposed to be a factor in F upgrades. But I just see nada. Even this Sat, flying TPA/ATL/MKE - no upgrades at the window. Can't even get 'em when I travel as a PM on a Saturday.

Hello SW?
Old Apr 5, 2018, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
Originally Posted by WisMan
I definitely don't have that kind of luck as a PM. Last year, a gate agent in JAX told me that, as a %, JAX was #1 in Diamonds (as compared to seats avail) and MKE was #2 in the country. I asked why MKE - and she told me it was due to being an old NW heavy airport. Makes sense.

Just so frustrating - I even have the Reserve card, as that is supposed to be a factor in F upgrades. But I just see nada. Even this Sat, flying TPA/ATL/MKE - no upgrades at the window. Can't even get 'em when I travel as a PM on a Saturday.

Hello SW?
Does seem like you have bad luck

I've heard that about JAX as well, and MKE is pretty elite-heavy.

I'm guessing you'll get ATL-MKE, at least at the gate. Here it is Thursday PM and I'm boarding ATL-MKE in about 1/2 hour. Cleared at window.

Currently 5 open in first with about 20 on upgrade list - I'm betting quite a few Plats will be clearing.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 6:13 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Delta PM

04/03 SEA-LAX Upgraded at window.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 9:20 am
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
Anecdotally I feel like window upgrades are now becoming less frequent, "progress" toward 20x2020 I guess.

Tuesday MSN-DTW, cleared @ DM window
Tuesday DTW-AUS, was #2 for 0 but then IRROPS happened and I mis-connected with this flight. It was F4 as check-in began.
Tuesday DTW-ATL, IRROPS, all 9 gate upgrades cleared and I wasn't one of them because DL didn't have me properly checked in after reissuing the ticket so I wasn't on the list despite being told by DM line and twice by Twitter that I was. At boarding 1 seat was empty and I was #1 on list, but redcoat at the gate refused to upgrade me to it. There were 20+ Delta employees in and out of uniform on that flight so I was fully expecting one to get pulled up once the door closed, but ultimately the seat flew empty. The red coat played her part in the shena, but the FA's did not...
Wednesday ATL-AUS, cleared at gate, 2nd of 3.
Wednesday AUS-MSP, cleared at gate, 3rd of 6. Surprised me this didn't clear in advance since it was showing F6 from the DM window onward.
Wednesday MSP-MSN, cleared at DM window (739 at 10:30 PM... 18 seats open at window, all gate upgrades cleared, non-revs too, and 1 empty seat)

Ultimately 4/5, with 2 at the window and 2 at the gate.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: DL Diamond , Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
As a PM:

SRQ-ATL #4 for 0 seats MD88
ATL- BTR Upgraded at window 717

BTR- ATL Upgraded at window CRJ900
ATL - SRQ Upgraded at 48hrs out. MD88
Old Apr 8, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mmoser2
As a PM:

SRQ-ATL #4 for 0 seats MD88
ATL- BTR Upgraded at window 717

BTR- ATL Upgraded at window CRJ900
ATL - SRQ Upgraded at 48hrs out. MD88
ATL-BTR is always automatic for me. Even though it quite often has near-full C+ cabins. I guess lots of people like to buy it on this route.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Two flights on Sunday:

LGA-ATL, #3 for 2 seats, finished as bubble boy

ATL-BMI, #1 for 5 seats, cleared
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL-PM
4/8 #2 of 16 for 2 seats on SLC-PHX... I was kind of surprised I was that high on the list. Upgrade cleared at the gate. 3/5 on the year so far. Not looking good for PHX-ATL-PHX that I have this week.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 7:14 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
BOG-ATL:
Upgraded ~30 hours before departure. A bunch of DMs and PMs were upgraded at the window because it went from 18 seats to 7 right at D-5. Was very surprised, as we were flying on an award ticket.

ATL-DCA: 1 and 2 for 0 seats, award ticket.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL Diamond , Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
PM

SRQ-ATL #11 for 0 seats.
ATL-CHA upgraded 36 hours out. Ended up not mattering as the MD88 in SRQ went tech and delayed me over an hour, missing that connection. Got rebooked onto the next ATL-CHA flight, on the dreaded CR2.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
4/8: DL2038 SEA-LAX (1900 departure); F seat map went to 0 well before T-72, so I wasn't at all surprised to be 3 of 12 at OLCI, even on an H fare ... Part 2 of the story is here and Part 3 is here

4/16: DL1636 SAN-ATL redeye, V fare, cleared at booking this morning
Old Apr 12, 2018, 5:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by kpbadger
Tuesday DTW-ATL, IRROPS, all 9 gate upgrades cleared and I wasn't one of them because DL didn't have me properly checked in after reissuing the ticket so I wasn't on the list despite being told by DM line and twice by Twitter that I was. At boarding 1 seat was empty and I was #1 on list, but redcoat at the gate refused to upgrade me to it. There were 20+ Delta employees in and out of uniform on that flight so I was fully expecting one to get pulled up once the door closed, but ultimately the seat flew empty. The red coat played her part in the shena, but the FA's did not...
What was the exact time reason the Red Coat gave to not upgrade you?

The only legit issue I could see in such a case is you being standby at first, but once confirmed and there still an empty seat, there's absolutely no reason to deny you the UG.

I would absolutely be reporting it to Delta and asking for a minimum of 20K miles...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.