Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 Upgrade Success (Or Lack Thereof)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2018, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
December Friday fun... Gold, no reserve, cheap fare class....

11am SAT-ATL (MD90): 29th of 40 for 4
3pm ATL-ORD (MD88): 6th of 13 for 2, but the five row C+ was 1/2 empty so everybody traveling solo had an empty seat next to them and my Woodford-induced nap was just fine.

Only four more segments over the next two weeks to get back to PLAT for 2019.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SDQBound
Lucky! I've seen a couple of ATL-BOG with zero seats and 20 waiting for upgrades.
That was pretty much it on the BOG-ATL return during the post-holiday week. Wife and I were #28 and 29.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Silver, UA Plat
FO here
SJC-ATL upgraded to First at the window (thankfully so I can get some rest on the red eye)
ATL-MEX 6 out of 8 for 1 I guess I'll just enjoy Comfort+ for that one

So far since becoming FO 3 FC upgrades out of 6 (granted I don't fly difficult routes out of SJC)
Old Dec 4, 2018, 7:44 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
SJC-LAS (Thurs afternoon) and LAS-SJC (Sun morning) cleared at or before the DM window.

DM+1 using DL Plat AMEX cert (this is far from the best redemption but I didn't have a better use for it and it still paid for the annual fee...)

From the seat map (insert usual caveat) it looks like there were 10 seats open on the outbound (T fare) and 6 seats open on the return (U) before we cleared.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by ethernal
Why would you think SJC would be an easy upgrade? It is a low cost hub (Southwest, and to a lesser extent Alaska, dominate the airport) so cost conscious flyers will usually end up on WN or AS meaning that you're left with a plane full of high spending elites. Upgrade list on a Monday AM flight is usually around 80-100 people on a 738/739 with 0 or 1 seats available.

In terms of your proposed RUC strategy - there are reasons I don't do that - one is that I book only a week or two in advance at most which means that there is never any RUC inventory to begin with (either SFO or SJC) - and second that is a dangerous game. The SJC flights I take go to the gate with 0 seats available at least three-quarters of the time - so a SDC would be impossible.
I just figured being a Southwest hub it would be easy to clear and most business travelers would use SFO and not SJC. That's one thing I like about MDW over ORD, my upgrade always clears. I was no. 6 on the upgrade list for 1 seat on a ORD/DTW flight a couple weeks ago and did a SDC on the midway flight and cleared. A friend of mine says OAK is a lot easier to clear than SFO. Post 438 below has a FO claiming they cleared SJC/ATL at the window.

Agree about the SDC, especially if the flight usually has zero seats in F available at t-24.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:11 am

Programs: Delta Gold
My 2018 flying season is over. As a Gold flying out of Boston, I was 2-for-24 for upgrades to F (both on the same flight - @ 5:30am on a Saturday to MSY). There were even a few trips that I couldn't crack C+. Its tough out there!
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:36 am
formerly Goflyer100

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion - Hilton Diamond
How is DL with giving CPUs on domestic flights compared to UA. Domestic flights with UA are always so crowded and even as a 1K it's difficult to get upgrades because there is no space, especially after the merger with Continental. And UA has also fewer hubs than DL. Would you say that getting an upgrade on DL with Platinum status is easier or is this the same. I'm considering a status match to DL next year.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:12 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Goflyer100
How is DL with giving CPUs on domestic flights compared to UA. Domestic flights with UA are always so crowded and even as a 1K it's difficult to get upgrades because there is no space, especially after the merger with Continental. And UA has also fewer hubs than DL. Would you say that getting an upgrade on DL with Platinum status is easier or is this the same. I'm considering a status match to DL next year.
As with UA, depends heavily on route, day of week, etc. (your profile says AMS, if you mention your usual domestic routes people may have more targeted info)

UA has TODs, DL has FCM so if these are heavily trafficked then don't expect much.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
DCA-JFK, Sunday 12/9 about 1:30 pm award ticket, 9000 miles ow. Confirmed to C+ on booking on 11/4. Confirmed to FC morning of 12/4. From the seat map it looks like they either sold my C+ seat or someone got upgraded into it. C+ is full now.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
12/4 DL 1137 RDU-ATL A-321 PM on a V Fare: #7 of 48. Slightly better than usual for this route I guess.

Now 58.86 (29/51)
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jrl767
LAX-SEA, flying on a corporate discount L fare purchased thru Concur ... cleared C+ shortly after booking (7 days out), and got the “Enjoy Your Upgraded Seat” email at T-119:35
SDCd ~2pm to the 7pm flight (which was showing sold out in F); PM line agent put me in C+ window immediately

when I got to the gate ~610 the GIDS said I was #1 of 18 for 2 seats ... told the GA that I’d appreciate a window if available; she typed for a few seconds and said “Sorry, it’s 1D, is that ok?”

uh, yes, thank you very much!

there’s not quite as much bulkhead legroom in DL’s 16F 738 as there is in AS’s 12F config, but it’s WAY better than the 739 that I was originally going to endure
Old Dec 8, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Currently 2 of 5 for tomorrow’ JFK to YYZ flight. Doubt I will make it. Already upgraded to C+, which is fine for this flight
Old Dec 8, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Currently 2 of 5 for tomorrow’ JFK to YYZ flight. Doubt I will make it. Already upgraded to C+, which is fine for this flight
Good luck!
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:14 pm

GM:
8/1 DL5977 DFW-LGA cleared to First T-72
8/2 DL3722 LGA-DFW cleared to First T-72

PM:
Monday evening DL5426 PWM to LGA cleared to First (+companion) T-120
Friday evening DL2918 JFK to ATL cleared to First (+companion) T-120
Friday evening ATL to EWR cleared to First at gate
Saturday evening LGA to FLL cleared to First at gate
Thursday morning LGA to GSP cleared to First T-120
Thursday evening ATL to GSP cleared to First T-120
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:22 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
End of the year numbers:
Upgraded to F: 21/30 - 70%
Upgraded to C+: 30/30 - 100%
FCM: 2 segments

Done flying DL for the year, officially dropping to FO next year, so not expecting more than 20% being optimistic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.