Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 Upgrade Success (Or Lack Thereof)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
JFK- SAN

Is JFK- SAN a tough upgrade for the D1 flights, midweek, say on a Wednesday morning?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by MarkP24
Is JFK- SAN a tough upgrade for the D1 flights, midweek, say on a Wednesday morning?
I was #4 for 1 seat with a RUC on a Tuesday flight from JFK last year. Year before that I cleared 5 days ahead for same day flight (non D1). It's a crapshoot.

FWIW, I'm flying JFK-SAN in February... am waitlisted using a RUC on the 737 portion, but cleared D1 using a RUC on the Saturday SAN-JFK leg
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
PWM Upgarade Priority?

I’m on DL1726 FLL>ATL right now and am 7/26 as a DM on a 752. Given that “small” of an UG list, I’d expect to be higher up. I’m on a Q fare that I did PWM for about 90% of the fare. I read somewhere that PWM has a lower priority than $ tickets. Is this true? Or am I just on a high fare DM heavy flight? Really just curious because it’s a short flight and the longer one next cleared at window. And I still have my beach high. Know this is a tough UG route.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by bergamini
I’m on DL1726 FLL>ATL right now and am 7/26 as a DM on a 752. Given that “small” of an UG list, I’d expect to be higher up. I’m on a Q fare that I did PWM for about 90% of the fare. I read somewhere that PWM has a lower priority than $ tickets. Is this true? Or am I just on a high fare DM heavy flight? Really just curious because it’s a short flight and the longer one next cleared at window. And I still have my beach high. Know this is a tough UG route.
PWM tickets are last behind all regular award tickets and paid fare classes so you were probably the last Diamond on the list as even though you had a Q fare.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:32 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by bergamini
I’m on DL1726 FLL>ATL right now and am 7/26 as a DM on a 752. Given that “small” of an UG list, I’d expect to be higher up. I’m on a Q fare that I did PWM for about 90% of the fare. I read somewhere that PWM has a lower priority than $ tickets. Is this true?
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer

PWM tickets are last behind all regular award tickets and paid fare classes so you were probably the last Diamond on the list as even though you had a Q fare.
wat

where are you guys getting this?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
wat

I can't recall but this week I remember reading a thread where someone posted that PWM is upgraded after regular fare buckets and I disagreed with it in my head. And then I was 7/27 on an underlying Q fare and thought maybe there is something to that because 27 is a small list for a 752 and Q is a pretty high fare. I would not have been surprised if I was last DM. My seatmate was PM and was 10.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by pvn
wat

https://thepointsguy.com/2015/03/del...-your-chances/

It’s a little old but I don’t think they would have changed where PWM is placed.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:45 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I have had extremely good success with PWM tickets getting upgraded FWIW. small sample size, but better than I've done on paid tickets on the same routes with similar fare classes.

The points guy article doesn't seem to have any sources for that priority list.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:04 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by pvn
I have had extremely good success with PWM tickets getting upgraded FWIW. small sample size, but better than I've done on paid tickets on the same routes with similar fare classes.

The points guy article doesn't seem to have any sources for that priority list.
I did some spelunking...

FT thread: Upgrade eligible when using Pay With Miles?

Award/PWM appear explicitly at the bottom of the priority list on the Delta upgrade page as of Dec 29, 2015 via Internet Archive Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20151229...-upgrades.html

The current page has more ambiguous wording, "Members at the same Medallion Tier will be cleared in order of fare class groupings for paid tickets, Award Tickets and Pay with Miles2 tickets, with higher fare classes among all ticket types holding higher priority." But that still suggests that award tix and PWM are grouped together at the bottom.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
I did some spelunking...

FT thread: Upgrade eligible when using Pay With Miles?

Award/PWM appear explicitly at the bottom of the priority list on the Delta upgrade page as of Dec 29, 2015 via Internet Archive Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20151229...-upgrades.html

The current page has more ambiguous wording, "Members at the same Medallion Tier will be cleared in order of fare class groupings for paid tickets, Award Tickets and Pay with Miles2 tickets, with higher fare classes among all ticket types holding higher priority." But that still suggests that award tix and PWM are grouped together at the bottom.
My ATL>FLL was delayed such that I’d miss the last connection to MKE yesterday so here I am again on FLL>ATL. I’m 8 out of 19 on this one, I clearly must be last DM again and underlying fare is still Q and clearly I’m getting no IRROPS benefit. Oh well 27A on the A321 is lovely. But yeah I’m clealry convinced PWM is at the bottom.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by uppereastsider
I was #4 for 1 seat with a RUC on a Tuesday flight from JFK last year. Year before that I cleared 5 days ahead for same day flight (non D1). It's a crapshoot.

FWIW, I'm flying JFK-SAN in February... am waitlisted using a RUC on the 737 portion, but cleared D1 using a RUC on the Saturday SAN-JFK leg
Thanks! With all the FCM, it seems like all upgrades are harder now
Old Jan 6, 2019, 2:01 pm

Late post but I made Silver this year.

My first silver flights were:
11/20
PDX-LAX C+
LAX-LAS First
12/1
LAS-SEA First
SEA-PDX First

I’d say that’s pretty successful for a Silver. I’ve already calculated that I’ll hit gold this year and hopefully even platinum.
ab_initio and MarkP24 like this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:48 am

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MLayton
Late post but I made Silver this year.

My first silver flights were:
11/20
PDX-LAX C+
LAX-LAS First
12/1
LAS-SEA First
SEA-PDX First

I’d say that’s pretty successful for a Silver. I’ve already calculated that I’ll hit gold this year and hopefully even platinum.
Nice!
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Sorry a bit new to DL, but what are the chances of Gold late March for LAX-JFK (Wed afternoon) and JFK-LAX (Sun last flight out 9pm). Both look about 50 percent open right now on the seat map on the 767. TIA
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: DL Diamond , Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
SRQ- ATL - #7 for 1
ATL- PDX- #2 for 0 ( waitlisted RUC)

PDX-SEA- Upgraded at PM window
SEA-ATL redeye - Upgraded at PM window
ATL-SRQ - # 13 for 0

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.