Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2017, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Why? They are more valuable...and in 2019 will be demonstrably more-valuable.
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Bubs, good to have you back. ^^

I concur

But I will disagree with you a bit here - we've seen this "thin the herd" movie several times, and things don't really seem to change that much. But maybe Lucy won't pull the football away this time. It could happen.
^ I concur - too many highly intelligent people on this board seem to forget DL is a business. And shock horror - they changed the business model slightly and given over 3 months warning. What is wrong with that - answer - nothing.
Dick Ginkowski likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by captaink
Now that every FT trick is spread all over Facebook and Twitter in the form of easily-shared blog posts, airlines are getting great market research handed to them on a silver platter.
Well kudos and 10/10 to the airlines then ^
Saj8986 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Plat. Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat. Hilton Plat. US Airways, Starwood Gold, Avis Pres
so it's $15K with Delta or $250K with a Delta CC?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:02 pm

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
Originally Posted by hdtv4me
Personally I love it. It never sat well with me that I spend $25-$30k every year on J and Z fares and still barely hit DM in MQMs (roughly 145k a year). My company does not allow me to use AMEX. So it felt as though I was being punished by Delta as I watched guys with AMEX cheap out on real MQDs because they spent $25,000 on Snicker's bars (in theory...could be on anything).

Now if they could just thin the herd at the Skyclubs.... JFK T4 has been so overcrowded of late I've taken to just finding an empty gate.
I was just responding to an ignorant post! But I think the change is not without some merit although I would just forego the $250K on Amex as it does insult some people. I think the SkyClub situation is exacerbated by the merger (ever go into the one at ORD? -- makes JFK seem spacious) and they simply need to expand some facilities or make alternate arrangements. You should not have to wait it out in the gate area.

If it makes you feel better, the old WorldPerks Visa which was morphed into FlexPerks is going through a devaluation of points on 1/1/18.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:03 pm

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
Originally Posted by twoner32
so it's $15K with Delta or $250K with a Delta CC?
Yes -- but $15K with Delta MQD (taxes excluded) so actual spending would be over $15K
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Who the heck would spend $250k on a Delta Amex and not spend $15k in tickets?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by josephstern
In a way, this makes Platinum really easy to maintain for many years to come.
Oh, sure, Delta won't change the waiver amount for PM some time down the road. No way.

/snark
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Who the heck would spend $250k on a Delta Amex and not spend $15k in tickets?
Who the heck would spend $250k on a Delta Amex, period?

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
^ I concur - too many highly intelligent people on this board seem to forget DL is a business. And shock horror - they changed the business model slightly and given over 3 months warning. What is wrong with that - answer - nothing.
Yep, and if it was up to me we'd remove more regulations that frustrate competition and allow a more competitive business model
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by javabytes
Someone trying to get a LAX-SYD Award ticket
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: 3MM DM, DL Reserve, HH Diamond, Nat Exec Elite, SPG, PC, etc...
If DL would have just tripled or 4x the spend I would keep one of the DL AMEX cards. Now I'm going to spend with a card that benefits me better.

I'll maintain PM (I have lifetime Gold via 3MM) but I'll certainly start using more of the direct flights on other carriers now. DL has encouraged me to fly 50-75K less per year with them. I'm sure many others will be doing the same. There is no point to keep flying them beyond.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
Somebody in the legal department likely concluded that eliminating the MQD waiver carried some exposure risk because the cards were marketed with the waiver as a benefit. So they just raised the spend requirement to an unrealistically large number instead.
bergamini and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:17 pm

Programs: DL DM
Don't know how there are 56 pages of this already. Wow.

Sounds like a great time to get a foreign address for DL purposes.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Well kudos and 10/10 to the airlines then ^
I agree, they'd be dumb to not take what's so readily given to them, but part of me is sad that so many things are no longer "FT's little secret"

I've never flown enough or had enough spend to manage much more than mid-tier status (I'm currently PM thanks to a very lucrative and thankfully non-public Corporate challenge), so this doesn't affect my qualification plans, but might help my UG % if my work continues to take me to places where DL fares are competitive in 2018-2019
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dick Ginkowski
Yes -- but $15K with Delta MQD (taxes excluded) so actual spending would be over $15K
It's really 15K MQD, which is not necessarily $15K in spend. For example, partner PE tickets (such as AF/VS) earn 20 - 25% miles in MQD's.
Dick Ginkowski likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Sep 26, 2017 at 1:23 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.