Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2017, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Halloweverybody
can anyone guess what percentage of diamonds will be affected by new waiver terms? I would say 20% perhaps? I really wish I had a better Idea.
My situation is that on average I spend 20K or so on MQDs, but this year I'll be at 12k. I use the Amex card to cover me on the one off years where MQDs are short. Absent rollover MQDs, if this were 2019, I'd miss DM. The Amex card no longer provides a safety net so it has no value to me. Loser is Amex. If 2018 travel is not going to make the 15k, then I'm not going to be motivated to try. Loser is Delta. Qualifying for PLT is not the issue but DM is value I have enjoyed and would prefer to maintain. As lifetime gold on UA and PLT on OW, so be it. Delta doesn't value me as much as I think they should so it's up to me to walk the talk. Amex will get a nice note from me starting with, what have you been smoking?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 6:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, DL AMEX Reserve
I think I hit DM with ~$12K last year. This change is going to make the non-branded AMEX cards more attractive. Risky move if DL is counting on that partnership revenue.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:03 pm

I lose the 3 DM Choice Benefits and some upgrades. Only aiming for 75K MQM because DM is now unreachable.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:06 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
So, to be clear, none of this matters if you spend $15,000 (MQDs) on Delta (or certain partners) in the course of a year, yes? Isn't that typically very easy to accomplish for most Diamonds?

I have to think that this change will affect probably 10% or less of the current Diamond membership. Not a big change.
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
Why "while it lasted"? Don't you spend at least $15,000 MQDs a year to get to Diamond status anyway? I don't see how this is a big issue at all...
I'm currently at $1200~ MQDs with 123K MQMs.

I'm the

of this move.

I'm sure there are TONS more like me, particularly after reading this thread.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by erasmusmrr
I lose the 3 DM Choice Benefits and some upgrades. Only aiming for 75K MQM because DM is now unreachable.
I think that may well be my approach. Hit 75K MQMs with Delta and then put 25K-50K into another program and get low to mid level status there. What this moves says is Delta don't really want my business beyond 75K. Or go completely reversal and maybe go for higher level with AA or AS and just go for mid-tier at most with Delta. I'll be researching/analyzing all this over the next couple months prior to Jan 1 when all the counters reset.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:07 pm

Location: Cary, NC, USA - AA Plt 3mm/DL Dia 2mm, Hil/Dia Life, Bonvoy/Titanium Life, Spire
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
As long as you have 2-3 paid international business-class airfares then you should be OK, but anyone who doesn't travel internationally in paid international business-class will find it difficult to spend $15,000 unless they can afford paid domestic first-class tickets.

Besides being absurd, there is absolutely no reason why anyone who can spend $250,000 on a credit card should be using a Delta-branded American Express that only gives 1 point per $1 of general spending. There are much, much better credit cards out there.
I disagree with your first paragraph, but completely agree with your second paragraph. I am one of those DMs that have never bought either a first class international or first class domestic ticket. Some of us do qualify on MQS's and meet the minimum spend.
Name:  Screenshot (6).png
Views: 729
Size:  30.5 KB
AceReport likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
This should also help with clearing out the Sky club since there will be fewer DM'S. That is still a huge problem.
A lot of diamonds have the Am Ex delta reserve and/or Am Ex Platinum which still gets them access and the automatic benefit goes away in January and will be one of the choice gifts.

I don't think diamonds are causing as much congesting of the sky club as Am Ex swipes. I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped accepting Am Ex Plat. swipes for entry in the next few years to try to get more card holders to get the Delta reserve instead.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
What seems a shortsighted about this to me is some of us accumulate massive rollover in certain years where we may spend several times the MQD requirement. A major incentive for accumulate the rollover is to maintain status if we have a down year in travel (new kid comes along, illness arises, etc.). We don't suddenly become bad customers in that down year if you look at the life of the relationship.

To me, I may as well look at other airlines once I hit the DM MQD and MQM thresholds in future years.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by outoftown
I disagree with your first paragraph, but completely agree with your second paragraph. I am one of those DMs that have never bought either a first class international or first class domestic ticket. Some of us do qualify on MQS's and meet the minimum spend.
Attachment 40564
With these stats, which version of the email did you get?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:19 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
My 2 cents worth . . . .

I'm still 8 or 9 pages behind reading and taking all of this in.

It indeed seems surprising that they didn't do a step-up over a couple of years from 25K to 250K, maybe 100K the first year, then, maybe 200K the year after that to soften the blow. So, based on the dozens of posts I've read, it seems to make sense that, they really wanted to totally eliminate the Amex waiver for DM, but, for some reason, they couldn't - - maybe because of current or planned advertising of the Amex waiver, or, contract stuff with Amex.
Seabilly and AceReport like this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Renes' Points or however he spells his name. If he was able to spend $25,000 very early in the year, presumably through MS, doing $250,000 over twelve months should be trivial. He seems to be cheering over the fact that there will still be a MQD waiver (that most folks don't have any hope of getting).

ADDED: I wonder how the people who joined his letter writing (to DL and AmEx) campaign are feeling now.
I was one of those that wrote. It's possible that it did make a different and DL was going to eliminate the waiver altogether.

Not happy with this change even though I can manage to get the spend in since I normally have my $220K spend in by 7/31 and this is only $30K more in spend but problem is that extra $30K in spend isn't getting me anymore MQM's and $30K on another card gets me a lot more benefits than 30K skypesos. If you combine the other $220K rewards on a lot better card and the annual fee savings still not sure if it's worth chasing diamond or if I should just stick with plat and keep one reserve card for the skyclub access. Delta will be losing some business if I go with the later, I normally fly DTW/LHR at least once a year in J for work and have always stuck on Delta in the past for the MQM's but if I decide to drop to PM that flight will be getting ticketed from now on with Virgin since they fly that route and have a better product. Same if I have to fly DTW/CDG, it's going to airfrance and if it's another international work related trip I'll just connect at JFK on whatever carrier has the best product.

I am certainly not cheering the move even though it will mean fewer diamonds in 19 if I decide to do the spend in 18. Who knows what other changes Delta will make next year for the 2020 qualifying year. Same with all the PM's cheering this move if they depend on the amex waiver, who's to say Delta won't decide to increase that spend and/or create a new level at 100K miles
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I was half expecting a blended version of the requirement, with perhaps $25,000 spend on DL AmEx cards being worth $3000 MQDs (which would be equivalent to a waiver at $125,000 with these numbers, so that the $250,000 spend DL has set is equivalent to $1500 MQD per $25,000 spend.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:27 pm

I sure hope Delta plans to demote / reallocate a WHOLE LOTTA phone agents from the DM hotline to the PM hotline!
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:29 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
They are not alone

This year I will fly 6 TATL trips where the total fares are about $2600 (MQD much less since they are international). Add to that 5.5 FC round trips LAX-ATL (1.5 in Y), the odd other flight and 10K MQM from Amex and I will be just over 125K MQM with about $8K MQD.

This year is an aberration because of the low TATL fares (4x$400, 2x$500) but also way more LAX-ATL travel (family issues). I was about the same MQD last year with fewer domestic trips but two discount J trips.

On another note, I am surprised that people with an international address can get still DM without the spend, since $250K is not possible for the vast majority of people it is no waiver, practically speaking.
I qualify with a foreign address (legitimately) as well as MQD spend. I think the reason the foreign address works is because those people likely fly much fewer domestic flights. So domestic seat upgrades and lounge use is limited. In fact I usually fly paid TPAC J and can't find a better place to park my ST miles anyway. Maybe credit to KE if I end up slipping to PM eventually.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by Statman
I am confused here.

If you are buying FC or D1 and fly with your wife and family (assuming they are also flying in the same class as you), how are you NOT hitting the $15k MQD annually? The math just doesn't add up.
You don't get credited with the money you spend on family members... and buying A fares or I fares are often just a bit higher than some of the coach fares that are offered. And I often "buy" my A fares with "pay with miles".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.