Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:27 pm

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
Why "while it lasted"? Don't you spend at least $15,000 MQDs a year to get to Diamond status anyway? I don't see how this is a big issue at all...
I think it's more possible that people will spend $15K+ but not necessarily 15K MQD. It depends on the route. Let's say you're on a route where the usual fare is $300, give or take, RT, and a normal trip earns 2500 MQM. That's 50 round trips but you're not likely to hit 15K MQD.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 2MM, AA ExPlt
Just cancelled by business Reserve. Amex didn't blink an eye and neither did I.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Lifetime Silver, Delta MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat, Lifetime Hilton Honors Diamond
I'm with others where what I don't get is the amount. If you've flown 125,000 and spent $250,000 on your AMEX I'd have to assume there is a 99.9% chance you've hit the $15k MQD spend regardless and you're probably paying for First anyways so none of it matters.

Why not just be honest and state that Diamonds don't qualify for an AMEX spend waiver.

$250,000? To quote a line from the movie Dumb and Dumber, "So you're telling me there's a chance."
arunhn and Zeeb like this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TuxTom
Reading more into this, I do wonder if Delta was willing to eliminate waivers entirely for Diamond but AMEX requested/forced them to keep it. Delta had to know that jacking up the waiver requirement 10x would look really bad from a PR standpoint. People would be upset if the waiver was eliminated, but I think they would be more understanding.
I think the $250,000 waiver is worse than no waiver at all in that it generally benefits only those who do extreme MS or those who can put lots and lots of business expenses onto their DL AmEx cards. We'll still have the people who make DM with super cheap tickets, but now we're thinning the herd of them to those who are willing (and able, but I want to emphasize the word willing here) to do an enormous amount of MS. Sensible people who fly a lot and buy moderately priced tickets are the big losers, while many who buy the rock bottom tickets and/or keep DM based using MQMs from multiple DL AmEx cards are the big winners. Plus, I'm not convinced that DL will really thin the herd versus giving special MQM/MQD/outright status offers to certain lucky residents of the next targeted focus city.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Originally Posted by Jump
I'm with others where what I don't get is the amount. If you've flown 125,000 and spent $250,000 on your AMEX I'd have to assume there is a 99.9% chance you've hit the $15k MQD spend regardless and you're probably paying for First anyways so none of it matters.

Why not just be honest and state that Diamonds don't qualify for an AMEX spend waiver.

$250,000? To quote a line from the movie Dumb and Dumber, "So you're telling me there's a chance."
DING DING

This is just a way for them to not have to say they eliminated the waiver.

Does not effect me, but I still think it is pretty lame.

If you are spending 250K on credit cards, you have a lot more options than one point per dollar..........
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JesseRohr
Adios DL AMEX cards...I've gotten to the point where I just buy FC anyway. There is no reason to keep the two DL Reserve cards.
Exactly. There is no reason to reach for status anymore. For me if it happens then fine, but if not then no big deal. I just buy the GAP fares now.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I think a 10x increase is absurd. $25K is too low for diamond, but to increase it 10X??? I think $100K would have been reasonable or even do what American does and keep the spend at $25K and cut the spend requirement in half.

What really sucks is that it's an Am Ex and not a visa/MC. At least spending is a lot easier to get in with those cards, a lot of places don't accept Am Ex

Not sure if I want to drop to PM and drop the Am Ex cards or increase the spending by another $30K. Problem with increasing the spending by $30K is you get no MQM's and the value of SKypeso's on that spend is worth virtually nothing.

I wonder if they will increase the PM MQD spend next year to help thin those herds with all the people that will be dropping from DM to PM
I could see DL creating an additional tier at 100,000 MQMs after the number of PMs becomes too large. It would be similar to other legacy carriers adding a new tier at 75,000 status miles.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Renes' Points or however he spells his name. If he was able to spend $25,000 veery early in the year, presumably through MS, doing $250,000 overn twelve months should be trivial. He seems to be cheering over the fact that there will still be a MQD waiver (that most folks don't have any hope of getting).
Yeah, I saw that. I commented on his post that was absurd. If you're going to MS, there are plenty of things more worthwhile to do that for than an MQD waiver. I also think he overestimates how many of his readers - even those that come to learn MS tricks from him at the Chicago Seminars - are going to pump through that volume. MS is risky enough and/or often carries at least a small cost that still needs to be justified, and the number of people who can or will take it to that extreme are few.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by justpassinthru
Being one of those odd PMs that flies to a PM level but spends to a DM level - I guess this is good. Always felt like these programs rewarded the wrong thing from the airlines perspective (flying not profitability) so this is just further motion in that direction. Now if they'll just drop that pesky miles component - just kidding....
Don't forget that MQDs and DL AmEx spend aren't the same as profitability.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:49 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, DL Platinum
I'm one of those that spent $8,492 last year to reach 127000 miles which made me DM. I'll make DM again this year by spending roughly about $10,200. Am I concerned about this, absolutely! Am I worried about it, not at all because it's going to save me a a lot of money because I would fly these trips on the whim just to get the rush.
​​​​​​
I guess it's time to find a different Hobby
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:58 pm

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
I don't think this move will do much to affect DL's bottom line, one way or the other, but then remember that I once told Ted Turner that nobody would watch a 24-hour news channel.

Seriously, I think some folks may be right to look at options, particularly if there is a continued devaluation of FF benefits (real vs. potential). Just as DL crunches numbers so do (or should) customers. If you don't feel your business is valued then maybe the option will be to simply purchase the lowest fare which DL often isn't (and surprisingly, WN is sometimes pricier than DL). Anecdotally, a couple of times recently I had schedule conflicts and wound up flying Spirit (and paying $40 extra for the "big front seat") one-way (and DL back). I have a bag that fits their guidelines for a free personal item and got acceptable service on flights that arrived on time. Cost me $6 for a couple of sodas and $9-10 to buy food at the airport to bring on the plane (which I often have to do on DL anyway). Am I going to "defect" to Spirit? Hell, no. But I will consider occasionally flying them if I can get a great fare and a good seat vs. a high fare on DL and no benefits. I think where that may affect DL is when someone who has "no light in the tunnel" after reaching PM may decide to fly other carriers for the remainder of the year if they can score a better flight and/or fare.

Last edited by Dick Ginkowski; Sep 26, 2017 at 5:09 pm
Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
This should also help with clearing out the Sky club since there will be fewer DM'S. That is still a huge problem.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by ND76
I just cleared the DM hurdle on this weekend's travel; I now have 126,105 MQMs (including a 29,000+ rollover) on a spend of $7,854.00 (I cleared the $25k AMEX waiver a few weeks ago). I probably will spend another $2k or so before the end of the year, and will probably end up with around 140k MQMs and about $10k MQDs.

It is now getting to the point that WFBF will be the rule, not the exception. It certainly is on all the good routes with enhanced in flight services.

As long as I have pre-check, get a free checked bag and lounge access on SkyTeam partners, I'll be OK. I won't travel as much as I currently do, but on the trips I take to the west coast, I'll use FCM deals when I feel that I need F seating.
How does one fly 130K EQM and spend only $7800??

Here I was saying to myself reading this thread is why are all these people complaining-- if you're flying the required 125K miles of course you're going to meet the minimum MQD or whatever DL calls it.

You might be the lone exception.
MikeyZBT likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by bergamini
Ouch. Didn't Rene's Points say changing the Diamond waiver was happening earlier this summer and a few users mocked him for it? I hope they apologize now.
No. He said it was confirmed that there would be no waiver for DM status. Like times past, it was fake news.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Zeeb
It doesn't really impact PMs or lower. In fact it is a slight benefit for PMs since anybody who was using the waiver to make DM will now be a DM and depending on fare class you could now be ahead of them on the upgrade list.
Yeah, this benefits PMs who purchase high fare classes and is roughly neutral for PMs who buy the lowest fare classes (and probably rarely get upgrades anyway). It hurts former DMs who will now be PMs and purchase cheap fare classes.

However, note that fare class isn't very well correlated with fare or the cost of tickets. You can see lots of low fare classes associated with expensive coach fares if you're a hub captive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.