Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; Hilton Diamond
Ouch, this new MQD waiver number hurts.

And over at his blog, Rene is talking about 'how great of a change this is' and 'how he can think of generating over 21K in manufactured spending per month' in his sleep to put on AMEX. That is crazy! I hope nobody here is seriously considering doing that. Put that kinda time and effort into learning about some real investment opportunities, make a profit and buy your F or J ticket straight out!

This year, I'll have over 80K spend on AMEX and over 200K MQM, but only ~14K MQDs. We will see how 2018 plays out.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I always hit the MQD limit before I hit the spending waiver amount. This year I hit the MQDs at the beginning of this month and the waiver amount last week.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iflyalexair
No. He said it was confirmed that there would be no waiver for DM status. Like times past, it was fake news.
Yeah, well, as many of us noted at the time, any deviation from his prediction will be proclaimed as his 'win', which he has done.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
This should also help with clearing out the Sky club since there will be fewer DM'S. That is still a huge problem.
In 16 months maybe. It'll be pretty hard to measure by then with plenty of other changes between now and then.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:28 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by enviroian
How does one fly 130K EQM and spend only $7800??

Here I was saying to myself reading this thread is why are all these people complaining-- if you're flying the required 125K miles of course you're going to meet the minimum MQD or whatever DL calls it.

You might be the lone exception.
They are not alone

This year I will fly 6 TATL trips where the total fares are about $2600 (MQD much less since they are international). Add to that 5.5 FC round trips LAX-ATL (1.5 in Y), the odd other flight and 10K MQM from Amex and I will be just over 125K MQM with about $8K MQD.

This year is an aberration because of the low TATL fares (4x$400, 2x$500) but also way more LAX-ATL travel (family issues). I was about the same MQD last year with fewer domestic trips but two discount J trips.

On another note, I am surprised that people with an international address can get still DM without the spend, since $250K is not possible for the vast majority of people it is no waiver, practically speaking.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
How does one fly 130K EQM and spend only $7800??

Here I was saying to myself reading this thread is why are all these people complaining-- if you're flying the required 125K miles of course you're going to meet the minimum MQD or whatever DL calls it.

You might be the lone exception.
For those of us who pay for their own flights, this is easy.

Recently, there was a $450 fare from LAX to HKG through SEA on Delta.

Assuming all $450 of the fare qualifies for MQD, you fly about 15K miles. That's a little over 8 trips to DM, so let's call it 9 at a similar cost per MQM. 9 times $450 is $4050.

Here's the link:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...81-423-rt.html

Last edited by josephstern; Sep 26, 2017 at 5:36 pm Reason: added link
Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:41 pm

Programs: Delta/Hyatt/Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
YOUR 2017 NUMBERS (FOR 2018 STATUS)
147,161 MQMs
42 MQSs
$4,745 MQDs
$25,026* AMEX CARD SPEND
With highly competitive TPAC fare and no paid international biz this year, it's the lowest MQD mark to achieve diamond. I guess I'm one of a few Delta intended to thin out or push a little as literally free travel after VDB vouchers, lounge, UGs and choice benefits etc. If I intended to retain the status, I will have to do one of followings:

1)Hit $250K waiver. Probably a bit stretch to put a lot of personal and biz spend on Delta Amex;
2)Buy a few SkyTeam international J (and hopefully someone covers that). Likely more enjoyable and cost-effective than #1
3)Change to foreign residency for MQD exemption. It appears I may legitimately meet Delta's requirement and will inquiry the process soon.

Delta made a fine decision from a business stand point, though it has huge impact on me. Just have to live with ever evolving loyalty program or simply let it go...
Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by iflyalexair
No. He said it was confirmed that there would be no waiver for DM status. Like times past, it was fake news.
It absolutely was not fake news. It was pretty close to entirely accurate news. A $250K waiver is essentially no waiver for 99%+. I am guessing that, as someone else posted, the point of the $250K waiver is to honor a contract provision with Amex to still offer the waiver, and maybe honor a few high rolling small businesses. And I mean a few. He was way ahead of the rest of us on that and credit should be given that we had inklings something like this could happen. IDK why people don't like that.
jamesteroh and TheMadBrewer like this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bergamini
It absolutely was not fake news. It was pretty close to entirely accurate news. A $250K waiver is essentially no waiver for 99%+. I am guessing that, as someone else posted, the point of the $250K waiver is to honor a contract provision with Amex to still offer the waiver, and maybe honor a few high rolling small businesses. And I mean a few. He was way ahead of the rest of us on that and credit should be given that we had inklings something like this could happen. IDK why people don't like that.
Seems meaningfully different.

Case in point: he was very upset about the possibility of the elimination, and now he's ecstatic about the $250K level.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by josephstern
In 16 months maybe. It'll be pretty hard to measure by then with plenty of other changes between now and then.
We'll see. Don't forget that next year (2018), SC access is not authorized magic with DM membership, but can be selected as one of three (up from two) DM choice benefits. Perhaps some DMs will choose to forego the SC membership in favor of another benefit.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:58 pm

Here’s the thing — and I don’t post often and am not trying to enrage some of you. I am a Diamond. I pay for my own flights. I don’t see mathematically how you could maintain Diamond status without coming pretty close to the $15,000 spend which isn’t changing. The MQD’s through Amex have been nice, but there’s a point where it ends up making next to no difference. Again, not trying to spark controversy, but it seems that those outraged probably aren’t really the Diamond spenders that Delta — which is a business — is trying to retain. But as others have pointed out, if you pay for F class routinely anyway, status relevance is decreased. I have not been on a flight in six months with more than 1 F seat left for upgrading.

Am I missing something?
Statman and captaink like this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 6:01 pm

For those of us who pay for their own flights, this is easy.

Recently, there was a $450 fare from LAX to HKG through SEA on Delta.

Assuming all $450 of the fare qualifies for MQD, you fly about 15K miles. That's a little over 8 trips to DM, so let's call it 9 at a similar cost per MQM. 9 times $450 is $4050.

Here's the link:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...81-423-rt.html
Anyone who takes 9 round trip flights that last 15 hours each way at $450 a flight is not the type of flier that Delta wants as a DM. That person makes ZERO money for Delta and actually costs Delta money if that person spends his way to DM status by charging $25k on his/her Amex Delta card.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 6:06 pm

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
Originally Posted by bergamini
I agree that it was not "fake news" and perhaps it was what was being touted at the time the prediction was written. Also agree that it's something that neither worthy of praise or criticism.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 6:07 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Most of my travel is personal, and while I have hit the DM MQDs in the past, I havent seen the value in doing so for a while since I buy mostly cheap F/J fares that give most of the benefits of status.

Definitely time to play the field. For SkyTeam travel I'm going to look at non-Group 1 partners now because there is no reason to try for 125k MQM.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 6:09 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Seems meaningfully different.

Case in point: he was very upset about the possibility of the elimination, and now he's ecstatic about the $250K level.
I don't have the context of following his blog and have zero interest in figuring out manufactured spend beyond maybe making a mortgage payment or two that way if I had to (which I don't). But we got meaningful notice from him about a change in waiver for Diamonds. He said eliminated; it was virtually eliminated. None of us would have had any inkling or discussed it prior to today if he had not. His scoop was not perfect but it was substantially correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.