Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by gooselee
Will I pick DL if all other factors are functionally equal? Of course. Will I pay $100 more and take an extra connection to go from MIA-ORD or something to stay on DL? Absolutely not, status be damned.
I'm definitely shopping around more than I used to, but I find DL status keeps me on DL... for cheap domestic coach tickets. For example, I need to fly to Florida. By the time I factor in checked bag fees and "free" upgrades to C+ or exit rows, I've usually made up any fare difference against B6 or the other options. (Then factor in SkyClub access, SkyPriority services, and better dispatch and IROPs and it's clearly DL FTW.) (I no longer put any value on Y SDC though.)

Ironically where I'm more likely to shop around is on the premium fares (domestic TCON, INTL W/J), since (with the exception of lounge access on a partner W fare) status doesn't really help much there.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 5:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by GatorBlues
I'm no longer willing to take a substantially less convenient schedule, or a moderately more expensive flight, to stay on Delta.
Isn't this the way that rational travelers should be operating anyhow?

Regards
Old Jul 26, 2018, 1:50 am

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
I was simply wondering what others who historically topped off from Plat to Diamond through the card waiver are doing now. There were many predictions that those who claimed we would cut back on Delta flights were bluffing. At least in my situation, that isn't true.
Same here. Instead of switching airlines, though, I'm more willing to burn RDMs for leisure trips; I still get my status benefits, burn off some of my SkyPesos, and DL is probably happy to see them go off the books. OTOH, I've been less willing to make marginal trips than I used to since MQMs over the PM threshold are significantly less useful to me. (At the moment, my projected MQMs at year-end based on flights and the Amex boost: 76060, including rollover.)
Old Jul 26, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: 3MM DM, DL Reserve, HH Diamond, Nat Exec Elite, SPG, PC, etc...
I've spent $112K on my Delta cards this year, but I'm stopping. I won't reach $250K without trying to do manufactured spending, which I don't have the time to do. This change has already cost Delta several flights so far this year that I've booked on American instead. For years, I flew Delta exclusively, but not any more. My MQM spending will drop from around $12K to around $8K to $9K, at least.

What has everyone else done? Found ways to spend more on the cards, stuck with Delta despite only being able to reach Platinum, or moved some or your flights elsewhere like I've done?
I reduced my flights and spend with DL to enjoy more direct service. DL lost half of my business or so. I'll keep buying their FCM product and that's about it.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 7:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I've re-qualified for diamond, having just hit the MQD threshold after hitting the MQM threshold about a month ago. I'm signing up for a United status match and if that fails then I'll book the cheapest paid first-class or paid business-class airfare, regardless of carrier, for the rest of the year.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:16 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I've re-qualified for diamond, having just hit the MQD threshold after hitting the MQM threshold about a month ago. I'm signing up for a United status match and if that fails then I'll book the cheapest paid first-class or paid business-class airfare, regardless of carrier, for the rest of the year.
It shouldn't fail -- although I think they still don't mention it on the website, many data points in the UA thread that they will match DMs to 1K.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:23 am

What makes you so sure that UA will be better for you than Delta?

Regard
Old Jul 26, 2018, 4:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by scubadu
What makes you so sure that UA will be better for you than Delta?

Regard
For the international routes I fly the Polaris product is better. Plus, United is finally opening more of the Polaris lounges, which are 100% better than anything Delta offers. I'm sick of flying internationally and not being able to find a spot to sit in the lounge because Delta's lounges are overcrowded and don't have a separate area for international or domestic Delta One business-class passengers.
jamesteroh and gt5889a like this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 5:14 pm

For the international routes I fly the Polaris product is better. Plus, United is finally opening more of the Polaris lounges, which are 100% better than anything Delta offers. I'm sick of flying internationally and not being able to find a spot to sit in the lounge because Delta's lounges are overcrowded and don't have a separate area for international or domestic Delta One business-class passengers.
Fair enough. Sounds like you've thought it through. I guess I just haven't heard much good said about UA these days. And I don't like the way they disallow PQD earning on partners. That is a no go for my wife and I.

Regards
Old Jul 26, 2018, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I still steer clear of United.

You gotta check out the Delta lounge in SEA and see if you still feel this way.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
Of course that only matters if one cares/needs to fly to SEA; I do not.

Though I am looking forward to seeing what they do here in Austin next year.

Regards
Old Jul 27, 2018, 4:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by josephstern
I still steer clear of United.

I've been to Seattle. It's nice, but still below Polaris lounges or American's new Flagship lounges. Delta dropped the ball by not rolling out menu dining, as it tried three or four years ago in New York–J.F.K. and a couple other airports.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by scubadu
Isn't this the way that rational travelers should be operating anyhow?

Regards
Price and connections aren't the only factors in a rational analysis of what flight to buy. For example, automatic upgrades to comfort plus, the possibility of first class upgrades, earning MQMs, and accessing the crown room have been factors to consider other than just price. However, MQMs don't mean much these days because I won't reach the absurdly high MQD waiver for Diamond, and I hit enough MQMs for Platinum rather easily each year. So now the rational analysis tilts more in favor of buying someone else's cheaper fares from time to time.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 11:04 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Just cancelled my DL AMEX Reserve today.

And I will be losing my DM status in January 2019.

So this guy is one less DM that you'll be fighting with over upgrades. lol

I am happy traveling with OneWorld now and have only flown DL once this entire year and will not fly them further.

I used to maintain DM on DL and EXP with AA all on leisure fun MR vacation travel but I have now moved all of my flying over to OW.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I've been to Seattle. It's nice, but still below Polaris lounges or American's new Flagship lounges. Delta dropped the ball by not rolling out menu dining, as it tried three or four years ago in New York–J.F.K. and a couple other airports.
Something Delta needs to do that would be an easy fix is to comp drinks off the luxury bar for passengers in Delta One international at the Skyclub. I was in the IND skyclub a couple weeks ago on a D1 ticket to CDG and thought it was downright cheap to expect me to pay for Kahlua for a white russian.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.