Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Ann Coulter's seat involuntary changed; posts angry Delta rant on twitter

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ann Coulter's seat involuntary changed; posts angry Delta rant on twitter

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by pvn
I just loaded up bbc.co.uk, I kinda doubt this is true. There are pictures of a crowd at a football match, and a pic of protesters on a march, I kinda doubt they got permission from all of those people.
My thought was more that posting a picture of a specific person in this sorta 'attack' of her for getting the seat may violate some Twitter T&Cs
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by xolinlevh
This is one of those unique situations where, yes, it's bad that Delta would take a customer out of their pre assigned seat (whatever the reason) but:

1) She previously applauded Uniteds treatment of the doctor, called him a drug addict and called for his deportation
2) Spews vile hate speech and racism
3) Reacted to this in a extremely inappropriate manner by going on her little rant.

Those reasons make me have 0 sympathy for her. Sure....having your seat taken isn't something that should happen to anyone, but there are some people who are just such a disgusting excuse for a human being that it's impossible for me to have ANY sympathy for her.

Originally Posted by james dean
WOW!!!
Why "WOW!!!"? I'd surmise that a majority of people who have any familiarity with Coulter feel that way about her.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by us2
Atlanta, Detroit, Minneapolis, Salt Lake City. None of these is within 3 miles of a coastline and I'm pretty sure that these four cities alone represent more than 5% of Delta's customers.
Detroit isn't near a coastline??? Ok, we call it shoreline around here. And the same could be said for SLC....
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
She has the same right the rest of us has to be upset about a seat change.

But publishing a picture of the person who ended up in the seat (and I understand she did another of flight crew) is beyond bad form. And given her language in the past could be taken as a threat.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Exactly. 95% of DL passengers live withing 3 miles of of the ATL and PAC coastlines.

Assuming that ATL = Atlantic and not Atlanta airport (which AFAIK doesn't have a coastline, but perhaps there's a little pond there?), this can't possibly be true.

Originally Posted by Peter T.
Uh... No.

Maybe within 50 miles of a coastline (Atlantic, Pacific, Gulf of Mexico), but definitely not three miles.
This can't be true either. Most of DL's hubs aren't within 50 miles of a (real) coastline. Now if you were to generalize the concept of coast line to include not only the Great Lakes, but also the Mississippi River and the Great Salt Lake, you might be moving closer, but ATL would still be a problem. OTOH doesn't some minor river flow through downtown Atlanta, near the Coke museum?

Originally Posted by us2
Atlanta, Detroit, Minneapolis, Salt Lake City. None of these is within 3 miles of a coastline and I'm pretty sure that these four cities alone represent more than 5% of Delta's customers.
Exactly.

Originally Posted by kettle1
I would throw a pure guess with those hubs it is about 14%. Total guess.
Isn't 42 the answer to everything?

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
*sighs*
Yes, but when airlines turn around and turn seat selection into a revenue stream it's not hard to imagine people getting the wrong idea.

My understanding is that she usually does travel in First...but that's also when she's on a paid trip (e.g. speaking at a fundraiser). When she's not getting an expense account she might be more frugal. Also, my understanding is that she usually/always has a bodyguard present (since there are just enough nuts out there who would try to take a swing at a high-profile, polarizing commentator). There might not have been two seats available in First or it might have been a last-minute booking with lousy rates for the flights that worked for her schedule.
She might be too cheap to pay for the bodyguard to have a FC ticket. There could also be some fundraisers were the rules preclude FC travel.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I don't buy number 2 above as being true. Also, the above is a false binary choice. Some people traveling for paid engagements do fly coach. This includes political commentators who sometimes have clients with rather streamlined budgets but for which the talking head wants to be affiliated and help with fundraising or membership runs or to just hit up and grab attention.
It's easy to imagine (some, certainly not all) charities that would balk at paying for FC tickets.

Originally Posted by xolinlevh
This is one of those unique situations where, yes, it's bad that Delta would take a customer out of their pre assigned seat (whatever the reason) but:

1) She previously applauded Uniteds treatment of the doctor, called him a drug addict and called for his deportation
2) Spews vile hate speech and racism
3) Reacted to this in a extremely inappropriate manner by going on her little rant.

Those reasons make me have 0 sympathy for her. Sure....having your seat taken isn't something that should happen to anyone, but there are some people who are just such a disgusting excuse for a human being that it's impossible for me to have ANY sympathy for her.
I can hate what someone says but defend to the death their right to say it or in this case, fly in the seat that they purchased.

BTW, the rant and twitting happened after the seat was taken, so this cannot be used to excuse DL's action in taking the seat.

Originally Posted by pvn
why would you wonder that? We have threads in here where people argue whether the price difference in F for given routes is "worth it" all the time.

The thing that is most objectionable about this situation is that she decided that shaming the person who was seated in "her" seat was a worthwile action. That person almost certainly had nothing to do with this and probably had no idea what was going on.

Seems like Ann would fit in fine with a lot of the crew on this board, actually.
Doesn't DL have rules that you're not supposed to take pictures of individual passengers or crew on board without their explicit permission?

Originally Posted by gooselee
This. I'm not a Coulter fan at all, but I have no problem with her using her visibility to complain about an airline (or any business) that has done something wrong. But the other passengers likely had nothing to do with it, didn't know what was going on, and don't deserve to have their images plastered all over the internet.

Most of the time when you buy a ticket to a major event, part of the ticket "contract" is you giving your permission to have your photo taken and used for various purposes. Protestors on a march are in a public space and have no fair expectation of privacy.

But all legality aside, a highly visible personality posting close-up photos of someone in an arguably non-public location without their permission is just poor form. Even at a mostly inconsequential level...suppose one of the guys in the background of the photo was flying to surprise a family member for their birthday or something. Well...there goes that idea for someone who had zero to do with whatever situation some famous person wanted to go off the rails about.
It's poor form but I was trying to think of an innocuous reason that the passenger would be harmed by the photo: guy flying to have an affair and lying to wife that he was going elsewhere on a business trip, someone flying to a sporting event after telling boss he/she was sick,.....In all of my examples, the passenger is at least arguably doing something wrong and doesn't want to be caught, but your surprise example indeed seems to be an innocent party.

Originally Posted by sspontak
Whether you are Ann Coulter or not, this practice of changing seats that you paid extra for is annoying and should be stopped.

I paid for my specific C+ seat and it was given away to someone else when there was no one else seated in that row of seats. Why couldn't Delta just seat that person next to me in the row instead of moving me. Not good customer service. Before pushback the FA gave the empty C+ seat away to a very oversized person. In the end that did work out for me anyway but Delta really should stop giving seats away like this.
I hope DL isn't giving C+ and FC seats for free to random people just because they are oversized. That's what paid extra seats are for.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Am I the only one wondering what she was doing in Economy to begin with?
I with you on this one. She's pretty famous, and must make enough for a few extra money $ on the flight.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Spanish
I with you on this one. She's pretty famous, and must make enough for a few extra money $ on the flight.
You don't build wealth by giving money to Delta.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
No, you build it by increasing income. You not going to be a million - air by saving a few bucks here and there by cutting corners with a 5 digit income.

To save real money, you need to make real money first...
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Believe it or not, there are actually people with $50 Million, $100 Million and much more who fly Coach so this whole notion about being able to afford it is a silly conversation and off point.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
She has the same right the rest of us has to be upset about a seat change.

But publishing a picture of the person who ended up in the seat (and I understand she did another of flight crew) is beyond bad form. And given her language in the past could be taken as a threat.
While I in theory agree, I have seen pictures of people with faces clearly visible all the time on FT even in threads where 'bad behavior' was talked about. I always wondered about the ethics of that, but it didn't seem to offend anyone else then.

I think in this day and age, where people post *so* many videos on Youtube, blogs etc. of just about anything noteworthy, people's faces are plastered all over the internet. If it wasn't Ann Coulter, I don't think much would be made of it by people in this thread.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Ah, the sweet sensation of schadenfreude.

Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Spanish
No, you build it by increasing income. You not going to be a million - air by saving a few bucks here and there by cutting corners with a 5 digit income.

To save real money, you need to make real money first...
Atlanta's how to save money pseudo-celebrity, Clark Howard, disagrees according to this quote from his website:

That’s the hardest part. Most people don’t start thinking about saving until their 40th birthday. But if you start early, it makes a big, big difference down the road. Sean Williams from Fool.com did a analysis in 2016 on how much one needs to save annually to be a (tax-deferred) millionaire by age of 65. His calculations assumed a moderate 7% growth rate, starting with NO money down.

Age 20: $3,500 annually
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
A million bucks in retirement savings , that will replace your earnings, at age 65 when you retire, is not the same as a million bucks at age 40 or however old Coulter is
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:37 am

I was a bit bored this afternoon - too hot/humid out - and by chance came across this thread.

If this happened to anyone else, especially if someone asked for advice in the 'seat change' situation, a valid advice would be 'take to Twitter'. But not for Anne Coulter because folks don't like her (neither do I particularly).

She has the right, like any of us, to the seat we paid for. I could also fly in domestic F, if I wanted to shell out those $, but I choose not to because I tend to be frugal.

It is too bad that folks so often have to apply politics to these threads when they do not like an individual. This thread should be about 'here is the seemingly legitimate problem, and let's hear from others about their similar experiences including resolutions'.

Last edited by lamphs; Jul 16, 2017 at 10:55 am
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by lamphs
It is too bad that folks so often have to apply politics when they do not like an individual.

This has nothing to do with politics, or at least not real politics. People don't like her because she is a bully and deeply offensive. They don't dislike her because she supports lower taxes or an isolationist immigration policy.

I'm very liberal and one of my very best friends is very conservative. We get a long just fine.

For much of the public she has lost her right to be offended because she is such an reckless iconoclast, and seemingly never in a productive and caring way, and again, not at all because of her "political" perspective. It's about how she treats other people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.