Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Raises Maximum VDB Compensation to $9,950 in Vouchers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Raises Maximum VDB Compensation to $9,950 in Vouchers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by C W
What a deeply cynical view. A very positive real change for passengers gets the attention that it deserves and therefore transforms into a publicity stunt?
This change is barely real or positive. It's mostly a PR stunt. DL is already at a near zero IDB rate (and remember that not all IDBs are due compensation). This change doesn't materially affect anyone. No one will come anywhere close to the maximum. Few, if any, will ever get more than the old maximums. It might not move their low IDB rate at all. It's a non-story. If DL wanted to make a real change and not just a PR stunt, they would announce generous compensation for all of the hundreds of thousands affected by their meltdown. That would be real and positive.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:21 am
C W
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by minnyfly
This change is barely real or positive. It's mostly a PR stunt. DL is already at a near zero IDB rate (and remember that not all IDBs are due compensation). This change doesn't materially affect anyone. No one will come anywhere close to the maximum. Few, if any, will ever get more than the old maximums. It might not move their low IDB rate at all. It's a non-story. If DL wanted to make a real change and not just a PR stunt, they would announce generous compensation for all of the hundreds of thousands affected by their meltdown. That would be real and positive.
I think people IDBed by Delta would disagree. They may already lead the industry in IDB statistics, but this policy which essentially eliminates IDB on Delta will be a very positive for that handful of individuals who would have been IDBed and for the people who will get substantial (although likely not close to $9,950) vouchers in their stead.

I agree that the impact is limited as Delta is already so good with IDB, but I don't think that makes it meaningless.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by C W
Delta is already so good with IDB, but I don't think that makes it meaningless.
Delta's charitable contributions could fund the cure for HIV, and people could still complain that fares would be lower if Delta focused on their own business. This is true for most businesses, imo

Last edited by Widgets; Apr 15, 2017 at 11:33 am
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by pvn
Talk is cheap, of course. I mean we haven't even seen an official announcement that this is the new policy.
The AP has published they have the internal memo on it a.k.a. off the Delta NET. They, the AP, only publish stuff like that if they have the proof in had.

Now having said that since not officially public by Delta they can walk it back if they want. Then again, they could walk it back if they had made it public too.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I read this as indicating a major effort by Delta to improve their operations so as to make VDB an extremely rare occurrence. I expect that along with this public announcement, quite a few internal memos about this also went out.
It's voucher "money" true. But at those rates, rebooks on other carriers will return as a viable alternative, at least to Delta customers.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:40 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Renes Points
Now having said that since not officially public by Delta they can walk it back if they want. Then again, they could walk it back if they had made it public too.
This morning, I saw 'The Points Guy" <who I think I met in Madrid a few years ago > on MSNBC talking about this. I'm guessing that it's "OUT THERE" enough now that it'd be hard to walk back.

Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by apodo77
Definitely a PR move and IMO an overreaction to a single incident that odds would never happen again on any US airline. ...
Correct. It will never happen again, considering the organic fertilizer storm that United is experiencing.

...I mean it really hadn't happened before that I am aware of in millions of flights...
Thanks. This gives me confidence that I will live forever, since I have never died before.

...Always good to see front line employees empowered though.
Agreed.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by skchin
Please share the wisdom of best day to get bumped!
I have heard stories of folks in Charlotte booking refundable tix on day before Thanksgiving and getting bumped and rebumped several times on that single day.

I live in a small college town. A good day to try this is the morning after the college's graduation when everyone is trying to fly out.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I agree that this is a great idea, although I wonder whether employees will be instructed to avoid using extremely high VDBs and going to IDBs long before hitting the $2000/$9950 limits. I suspect that $9950 is a nice round number proxy for $9999 which might be limited by the number of digits that can be input for this function to avoid expensive fat finger errors.

Realistically, many people can't use such high voucher amounts in a single year. Even $2000 of "free" travel on DL during the next twelve months would be excessive for many people, although of course someone could take the opportunity to make their special trip of a lifetime.
A couple of points related to the DOT rules that I have not seen come out in the news media coverage, as the media attempts to "educate" the readers.

"DOT requires each airline to give all passengers who are bumped involuntarily a written statement describing their rights and explaining how the carrier decides who gets on an oversold flight and who doesn't."

Do you suppose Dr. Dao was provided this before he was cold cocked and dragged off the plane?

"Those travelers who don't get to fly are frequently entitled to denied boarding compensation in the form of a check or cash."

In addition to avoiding the inflation of IDB statistics, there is an incentive to induce folks to VDB instead of IDB. A $1350 VDB e-coupon is likely not going to cost the airline $1350 in out-of-pocket expenses. In fact, you have to wonder how frequently airlines reimburse IBD'd PAX in e-coupons rather than by check.

To be reimbursed for an IDB with an e-coupon would be a great irony... just like the $100 and $200 "customer service adjustment" coupons the airlines issue. The only way to gain the value of the coupon is to give more business (and, potentially, more money) to the airline that shafted you in the first place.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sethweinstein
It depends on the location and how much time I have to think about it. If I can get a decent hotel for $45, and I have time to figure out where it is, I'd rather pay the $45 and take the $89 Delta dollars. But it would be a lot to think about on top of rescheduling my flying, so I'm glad the airline makes the hotel booking for me and saves me the mental taxation even if I could theoretically come out ahead the other way.

Seth
Does the "decent hotel for $45" come with a pink unicorn?
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by C W
A good Daily Telegraph article on Delta's limit increase

Some interesting excepts:

Pretty neatly sums up the differences in corporate cultural...

Pretty amazing that Delta already pays over double of what AA does per pax and nearly double UA. Phenomenal customer dedication.
I find it odd that DL's average payout is over $1100. How often do we see folks reporting here that they received a payout in that region?
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:01 pm
C W
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I find it odd that DL's average payout is over $1100. How often do we see folks reporting here that they received a payout in that region?
To me at least, it is unclear if the article is quoting numbers for average VBD payout, average IDB payout, or combined.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:29 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by Renes Points
The AP has published they have the internal memo on it a.k.a. off the Delta NET. They, the AP, only publish stuff like that if they have the proof in had.

I don't understand the point of this post. I'm not disputing the authenticity of the memo.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
A couple of points related to the DOT rules that I have not seen come out in the news media coverage, as the media attempts to "educate" the readers.

"DOT requires each airline to give all passengers who are bumped involuntarily a written statement describing their rights and explaining how the carrier decides who gets on an oversold flight and who doesn't."

Do you suppose Dr. Dao was provided this before he was cold cocked and dragged off the plane?

"Those travelers who don't get to fly are frequently entitled to denied boarding compensation in the form of a check or cash."

In addition to avoiding the inflation of IDB statistics, there is an incentive to induce folks to VDB instead of IDB. A $1350 VDB e-coupon is likely not going to cost the airline $1350 in out-of-pocket expenses. In fact, you have to wonder how frequently airlines reimburse IBD'd PAX in e-coupons rather than by check.

To be reimbursed for an IDB with an e-coupon would be a great irony... just like the $100 and $200 "customer service adjustment" coupons the airlines issue. The only way to gain the value of the coupon is to give more business (and, potentially, more money) to the airline that shafted you in the first place.
I've heard stories of IDBs where the person is given the choice of either $X in cash or by check or $Y in airline voucher(s), where Y > X or even Y >>> X. This seems pretty common with EC216 IDBs, although then the denomination is Euros rather than dollars.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 2:00 pm

Smart move by Delta..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.