Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Raises Maximum VDB Compensation to $9,950 in Vouchers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Raises Maximum VDB Compensation to $9,950 in Vouchers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2017, 3:53 am
C W
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by hotturnip
Count me among those who see this as a total PR stunt to further distract from DL's massive operational failure last week.

Because the legally required financial loss for IDB is so much lower than this in most cases, I think we will rarely see it in practice. The first manager who hands out six $8,000 vouchers will be fired. It's completely impractical.

Not only that, until now the public was pretty unaware of ceilings on compensation. Now, everybody on DL will hold out for more $$$ in every oversold situation.
If you read the thread, Widgets has indicated that the policy is intended to be used to fully eliminate IDB, regardless of how much compensation must be offered.

Originally Posted by Widgets
Originally Posted by javabytes
I can only believe this is a PR move that won't make much of a difference in reality, given agents are certainly going to start low, and can still IDB. Unless this limit increase was paired with an order to go as high as necessary to avoid an IDB essentially at all costs, it's not all that interesting.
That's basically what happened.
Game theory says that people will take the vouchers far before they reach the limit. Collusion, or "holding out" with a plane full of a few hundred strangers is completely impossible.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 4:20 am

Programs: DL DM, GOES
Unless it's already been mentioned, but I wonder if the algorithm for overselling will be tweaked upwards? That is, will the incremental step to 100% load result in a higher net than the added VDB expense? But you'd think would've already been considered long ago, as though there was a cap on what they HAD to pay, there wasn't a cap on what they COULD pay.

And what about cargo vs pax? More VDBs for higher value cargo? The higher VDB $$ will allow more flexibility while still maintaining high pax net promoter scores.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 4:22 am
C W
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EditingFX
Unless it's already been mentioned, but I wonder if the algorithm for overselling will be tweaked upwards? That is, will the incremental step to 100% load result in a higher net than the added VDB expense? But you'd think would've already been considered long ago, as though there was a cap on what they HAD to pay, there wasn't a cap on what they COULD pay.

And what about cargo vs pax? More VDBs for higher value cargo?
Interesting questions, but good luck getting an answer from DL revenue management

Hasn't been mention in the thread so far.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 5:07 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
The only cases where this is likely to come into play would be, conceptually, a major downgauge a la JetBlue: An A321/320 or A320/319 sub or a B737-900/737-700 might do the trick. Basically if DL suddenly has to come up with 30-50 volunteers (including a chunk of F/J) because of a situation I could see vouchers running high.

Aside from that, though, odds are pretty good that enough folks will bite at $1-2K. Depending on circumstances, travel flexibility, etc. (and with a clear understanding about how restricted/not-restricted a voucher is) that's probably my "bite point".
Old Apr 15, 2017, 5:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
I don't see how this is a PR move if it wasn't put in a press release. I think it's just a way to improve DBC statistics. If it were meant to be a PR stunt, there would've been a press release bragging about it and CNN would've eaten it up and compared it to United.
Originally Posted by Renes Points
+1

I can see this dropping IDB to zero. I don't care where I am going if a Delta rep comes onboard and says we will give you $9000 to take a flight tomorrow I would be RUNNING off the flight. Heck, I bet there would be a stamped of folks off the jet (humm... Ruh Roh)!
...and now I take back what I said. Even with no posting on the NEWS HUB this has become the Chase Sapphire Reserve of bumps. This was a PR stunt.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 5:41 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
The only cases where this is likely to come into play would be, conceptually, a major downgauge a la JetBlue: An A321/320 or A320/319 sub or a B737-900/737-700 might do the trick. Basically if DL suddenly has to come up with 30-50 volunteers (including a chunk of F/J) because of a situation I could see vouchers running high.
I was on a NW DC-9 once, that was overbooked by 17. Due to weather enroute from ATL/MSP, they had to add on extra fuel and bump people off due to weight, I was told.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 5:49 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by davetravels
I was on a NW DC-9 once, that was overbooked by 17. Due to weather enroute from ATL/MSP, they had to add on extra fuel and bump people off due to weight, I was told.
That's the largest "weather bump" I've heard of (I've heard of a few 5-6 ones). Understandable, but still impressive.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 6:37 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Preferred by Delta but most certainly not preferred by the passenger. Who wants to pay for a hotel themselves for $89 in exchange for 89 Delta dollars?
Business travelers who can expense the hotel anyway
Old Apr 15, 2017, 8:31 am
C W
Original Poster

I can see this dropping IDB to zero. I don't care where I am going if a Delta rep comes onboard and says we will give you $9000 to take a flight tomorrow I would be RUNNING off the flight. Heck, I bet there would be a stamped of folks off the jet (humm... Ruh Roh)!
...and now I take back what I said. Even with no posting on the NEWS HUB this has become the Chase Sapphire Reserve of bumps. This was a PR stunt.
What a deeply cynical view. A very positive real change for passengers gets the attention that it deserves and therefore transforms into a publicity stunt?
Old Apr 15, 2017, 8:55 am
pvn
Suspended

Why does anyone think this is a positive change? they can still involuntarily bump people for $1350, so they could raise the max to fourteen xillion dollars and it doesn't mean anyone is actually going to get that.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 8:57 am
C W
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pvn
Why does anyone think this is a positive change? they can still involuntarily bump people for $1350, so they could raise the max to fourteen xillion dollars and it doesn't mean anyone is actually going to get that.
If you read the thread, Widgets has indicated that the policy is intended to be used to fully eliminate IDB, regardless of how much compensation must be offered.

Originally Posted by javabytes
I can only believe this is a PR move that won't make much of a difference in reality, given agents are certainly going to start low, and can still IDB. Unless this limit increase was paired with an order to go as high as necessary to avoid an IDB essentially at all costs, it's not all that interesting.
That's basically what happened.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:01 am
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by C W
Talk is cheap, of course. I mean we haven't even seen an official announcement that this is the new policy.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:03 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
While this was surely, at least, planned somewhat for publicity, imagine how much publicity they'd get if they plan in advance to bump 1 or 2 people.

Giv'em each the $9950 - - OR - - even make it a $9950 Amex gift card!! They'd get their money's worth in advertising value many times over!

Have cameras there! Hope it's MEEEEEEEE!!!
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:05 am

Actions by other airlines regarding denying boarding: http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....ing-one-hasnt/
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:05 am
C W
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pvn
Talk is cheap, of course. I mean we haven't even seen an official announcement that this is the new policy.
It will certainly be interesting to watch and see how IDB statistics change.

I think the motivation is certainly there for Delta to avoid IDB for PR reasons.

This Telegraph article points out that if Delta paid $9,950 to every passenger it IDBs in a year it would only cost them only $12 million. The real number will be much lower as they won't need to even get close to $9,950 to eliminate IDB on most flights and since Delta Dollars cost Delta a fraction of their face value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.