Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2017 Upgrade Success (Or Lack Thereof)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:46 am

I'm 1/1 this year as a GM. (ATL to YYZ on a CRJ9 woohoo!)
Wife is 1/1 this year as a GM (also, her and her mom were OPuped into Deta One on an ORD to CDG flight)

We've just started buying first, if the cost is reasonable, so the upgrade chances are slim. We still have the opportunity to to potentially get upgraded on the YYZ to ATL return (unlikely) and to/from BOS in May.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
cleared ahead wow

It was a relatively last minute tix

LGA - BNA cleared at booking to C+ and then 1st day of booking

BNA - LGA also cleared C+ day of booking and just cleared to 1st on the return on Monday.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 7:49 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Still at 100% for the year

LGA to DCA on President's day - cleared at 5 day window
DCA to LGA following day - cleared at gate

Last minute LGA to ORD trip last Wed.. was upgraded from coach after being 1/1 for 0 seats. Thanks, no show!

ORD to LGA on Thursday upgraded at gate after switching to earlier flight since my original flight was delayed.

Have also been given 5 day window upgrades for LGA RDU for next Monday afternoon, RDU MSP on Tuesday afternoon and MSP to DEN on Wednesday afternoon.

10/10 on upgrades on all upgrade eligible flights this year... thanks Delta!
Old Mar 3, 2017, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Seems like UGs are easier this year. I am 4 for 10 as a lowly FO. I even came pretty close on ATL-DCA this morning which almost always has 5 million diamonda on the flight. I saw a few GM tags in F this morning.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Seems like UGs are easier this year. I am 4 for 10 as a lowly FO. I even came pretty close on ATL-DCA this morning which almost always has 5 million diamonda on the flight. I saw a few GM tags in F this morning.
Flying to DC on a Friday morning is definitely one of the easier times, since most people who would be elites are leaving. DCA-ATL and vice-versa is either really easy, or 70 people for an MD90. I've cleared at the PM window before, and also been 15/30, or worse. It's also unpredictable. I missed ATL-DCA on New Year's Day last year, but cleared in advance for a Sunday evening flight. Go figure.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
IAD-DTW-SEA, K fare: cleared C+ at booking approx two weeks out, IAD-DTW at the window; SDCd at approx T-20 hrs

IAD-DTW, 1 of 3 for zero seats: the guy who boarded right after me took one of the two empties in F, and the next -- with "NRSA" on his BP -- sat next to me, so I wasn't entirely surprised when the redcoat came on board to get me for the last F seat
DTW-SEA, 2 of 23 for 9 seats (8 windows) ... I got 1B
Old Mar 3, 2017, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
IAD-DTW-SEA, K fare: cleared C+ at booking approx two weeks out, IAD-DTW at the window; SDCd at approx T-20 hrs

IAD-DTW, 1 of 3 for zero seats: the guy who boarded right after me took one of the two empties in F, and the next -- with "NRSA" on his BP -- sat next to me, so I wasn't entirely surprised when the redcoat came on board to get me for the last F seat
DTW-SEA, 2 of 23 for 9 seats (8 windows) ... I got 1B
On a 739? I guess that's better than Y. Maybe.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
a big factor in the SDC was that I could pass up a C+ middle seat and get 21A (aft exit row)

IAD-DTW closed and pushed less than 5 min late, but we waited maybe 20 min for de-icing, so at T-45 for the SEA flight we were still taxiing in ... no way to let the GA know I'd prefer a window seat

#FirstWorldProblem
Old Mar 3, 2017, 9:50 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I bought an X/V ticket 7 days in advance for DCA-DTW-SAN-SLC-DCA. I got the F upgrade on DCA-DTW at the 5 day window, while at the same time getting C+ upgrades (without asking for them by checking the box) DTW-SAN and SLC-DCA. A few hours after the DCA-DTW upgrade, the DTW-SAN F upgrade cleared. 3 days before the return trip, I got the F upgrade SLC-DCA. About a day before the return, I got an upgrade to C+ SAN-SLC (again, I did not request this).

I ended up #6 out of 50 "almost winners" after the UGs were handed out on SAN-SLC (there were 3 F UGs). Interestingly, one of those upgraded on this flight got the last UG seat SLC-DCA.

I'm 7 for 9 domestic F upgrades so far. My next scheduled trip is in late April via LAX to LAS for the NAB convention; I'm going to try RUCs to get upgraded to the new Delta One service DCA-LAX and return.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: Delta-PM, HHonors-Diamond, Hyatt-Explorist, Hertz - Presidents
3 out of 4 STL>RSW on an award this week. Only miss was atl>rsw on wednesday
Old Mar 4, 2017, 1:17 pm
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
Good luck for me this week! 5 for 5

Tuesday MSN > DTW, 3 days in advance
DTW > SFO, at window

Saturday SFO > LAX, at RUC application (expiring before I fly again so why not?)
LAX > DTW, at gate, #1 for the last seat available and could tell from the C+ list that at #2 and #3 were almost certainly using RUCs too
DTW > MSN, at RUC
Old Mar 4, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL DM MM Marriott Plat Hertz PC
PDX/SLC/SAN/LAX/PDX
All cleared at DM window except LAX/PDX which was a battlefield UG.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 1:54 pm

SJC-LAS upgraded both directions 3 days in advance as a FO. Return flight left with 4 empty seats in F and a couple of seats in C+, while Y was packed. Of course nobody really cares about an upgrade on a 1 hour flight...
Old Mar 4, 2017, 6:06 pm

Programs: Delta-PM, HHonors-Diamond, Hyatt-Explorist, Hertz - Presidents
Originally Posted by Start_at_UIN
3 out of 4 STL>RSW on an award this week. Only miss was atl>rsw on Wednesday
Just after posting this I left the SC to head to my gate. In the main B SC I was #2 for 3. When I got to the gate (B14) I was #1 for 0. What a difference 5 minutes makes.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Start_at_UIN
Just after posting this I left the SC to head to my gate. In the main B SC I was #2 for 3. When I got to the gate (B14) I was #1 for 0. What a difference 5 minutes makes.
That's tragic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.