Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Documentation problem, family of 4 Involuntarily Denied Boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Documentation problem, family of 4 Involuntarily Denied Boarding

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2017, 2:41 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by denizenxix
We didn't spend anything on new tickets to JNB; VS got on the phone with DL Atlanta and they managed to get us on VS601 LHR - JNB the following day. We called SAA and were able to change our tickets from JNB to HRE for about $250 and there were no issues encountered on our return trip.

The day of boarding denial, VS put us up at an airport hotel at LHR and gave us some shuttle bus and meal vouchers; we were on our way to HRE the following day. I'm grateful for the way VS stepped in and enabled us to continue our journey but isn't DL/VS willingness to rectify the situation in a way an admission of "guilt"? If we truly erred couldn't they simply have said you screwed up and our only responsibility now is to get you back to JFK?
How did VS get involved? Did Delta initiate the communication or did you seek them out on your own? I'm surprised VS would do this without Delta asking them to, although I honestly don't know much about how the DL/AS partnership works. Either way that's awesome.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Productivity
This doesn't apply here however. If AF had flown the OP to JNB, as the OP wanted and then all flights to HRE were cancelled, AF would have faced large fines and responsibility for flying them back to CDG.
Others have already pointed this out but you're wrong here; when you deboard the plane in JNB you either go right to enter the country via immigration or left if you're in transit. There are no monitors or airline agents in this area to inform you of flight status if you are connecting. If you go towards the transit area you'll first encounter an agent of the Dept. of Home Affairs who reviews your documentation before allowing you to continue onto the ticketing desks and security check area. I can't imagine a situation where upon reaching the ticketing desk and finding out all flights are canceled ZA officials would turn around and say to AF fly these passengers back to origin. The more likely scenario is SAA putting you up in the transit hotel which is just an elevator ride away.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Psyduck1
How did VS get involved? Did Delta initiate the communication or did you seek them out on your own? I'm surprised VS would do this without Delta asking them to, although I honestly don't know much about how the DL/AS partnership works. Either way that's awesome.
We were denied boarding in T4 and AF agent told us we had to go to Delta desk in T3 to get issue resolved. You may need to verify, but DL and VS have shared facilities at T3 and by the time we reached T3 from T4 (around 5pm) DL agents were apparently done for the day. VS agent then reached out to AF to who stood firm in their position and so began the back and forth between AF and DL with VS in the middle. VS was able to assist only with DL Atlanta's blessing.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 3:09 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Amazing!
Old Jan 4, 2017, 3:09 am

Others have already pointed this out but you're wrong here; when you deboard the plane in JNB you either go right to enter the country via immigration or left if you're in transit. There are no monitors or airline agents in this area to inform you of flight status if you are connecting. If you go towards the transit area you'll first encounter an agent of the Dept. of Home Affairs who reviews your documentation before allowing you to continue onto the ticketing desks and security check area. I can't imagine a situation where upon reaching the ticketing desk and finding out all flights are canceled ZA officials would turn around and say to AF fly these passengers back to origin. The more likely scenario is SAA putting you up in the transit hotel which is just an elevator ride away.
I agree, you have to build an extreme scenario to get to being turned around, but if AF delivers you without entry papers in order and you have no other way out, you can be turned around. Is that likely over spending a night in the hotel? I think it isn't but it's possible and airlines deal with worst case scenarios, not best.

Personally I think doing a build your own connection in a third country, which you do not have the papers to enter is crazy but maybe I'm just more risk averse than some.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 3:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by theddo
It will be difficult to get any compensation when the embassy claims they lacked proper documentation, even if that later on turns out to be wrong.
The definitive authority here would not be be the Embassy but the Dept of Home Affairs and they say "No supporting documents will be required in the case of minors in direct transit at an International Airport."

http://www.dha.gov.za/index.php/stat...ve-1-june-2015

davetravels already shared Skyteam link with similar information which started the raging debate about what is or isn't considered direct transit.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 4:30 am

It's hard to claim a direct transit when neither ticket has anything to do with the other. Say your flight into JNB was delayed excessively, going either way, the subsequent carrier is under no obligation to do anything other than treat your ticket as a forfeit for no show. To me it is very hard to call it a direct transit under those circumstances, even if some airline staff did help you out.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 4:52 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It's hard to claim a direct transit when neither ticket has anything to do with the other. Say your flight into JNB was delayed excessively, going either way, the subsequent carrier is under no obligation to do anything other than treat your ticket as a forfeit for no show. To me it is very hard to call it a direct transit under those circumstances, even if some airline staff did help you out.
The two tickets have much to do with each other.

It's easy to claim direct transit when having tickets showing no long, overnight or multinight period in the country of transit, when the two tickets do have much to do with each other to show this.

I agree, you have to build an extreme scenario to get to being turned around, but if AF delivers you without entry papers in order and you have no other way out, you can be turned around. Is that likely over spending a night in the hotel? I think it isn't but it's possible and airlines deal with worst case scenarios, not best.
What worst case scenario? Even for U.K. transits by US citizens, what worst scare scenario can't happen in the U.K. but can happen in South Africa?
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:34 am

Three different issues are being conflated:

1. Through ticket to destination v. separate tickets with sufficient same-day time to change flights

2. Bag checked to destination on separate ticket v. bag checked only to final ticketed city

3. Documentation for entry into destination and for all transit points v. documentation for entry only into final ticketed city

Here, you are describing a problem with issue 1, though it is issue 3 that matters.

No one is suggesting that, if the AF flight was delayed, SA would have an obligation to do anything other than treat the ticket as a forfeit for no show.

But OP and family would still legally have entered "the international transit area of the airport," and AF's responsibility for their further travels will have ended. It is unheard of for the South African government to require AF to return passengers to Paris in that circumstance, and AF must (or should) know that.

http://visados.com/en/visa-for-South-Africa
Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:18 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by GUWonder
1. The proof of onward ticket does routinely provide airlines protection for the transport of passengers seeking entry and for the transport of passengers seeking transit.

2. Having an onward ticket does routinely change the facts on whether an entering passenger meets the entry requirements and on whether a transiting passenger meets the transit requirements.

As DL and AF reps should realize, entry requirements and transit requirements are not one and the same. And this is a case where the DL agent approach was different than the AF agent approach to a set of circumstances. Would South Africa prevent the onward transit of the OP once in South Africa? Improbable. And even if it did, would AF be fined for the transport of the OP's party under such circumstance? Improbable. And I've seen plenty of AF passengers denied entry (and sometimes transit) in countries which do have fines in the picture for some transport of disallowed passengers.
Isn't the solution simple? If the airline thinks there is a potential problem, and the passenger doesn't, then the passenger signs a credit card voucher for a reasonable amount ($10,000???) and if they passenger is denied entry then the airline gets to use the credit card for fines and return fees. A passenger who knows they are correct and won't have a problem will gladly sign the credit card authorization.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:30 am

I think many people are confusing the way things typically work with the way laws are written

Customarily airlines treat a separate ticket as proof enough for onward travel. I would find it difficult to believe that they are legally obligated to do so.

AF went by the letter rather than the spirit of the law. It's not the best customer service, but I doubt the EU courts would rule against them.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by kop84
I think many people are confusing the way things typically work with the way laws are written

Customarily airlines treat a separate ticket as proof enough for onward travel. I would find it difficult to believe that they are legally obligated to do so.

AF went by the letter rather than the spirit of the law. It's not the best customer service, but I doubt the EU courts would rule against them.
This is what I'm saying. Do I think South Africa would ever deny entry and force deportation for a stranded set of traveler in the international zone? Absolutely not. Would South Africa be within their rights to do so and put it on AF? Absolutely. They flew people to JNB as the last stop on their AF ticket without papers.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sbrower
Isn't the solution simple? If the airline thinks there is a potential problem, and the passenger doesn't, then the passenger signs a credit card voucher for a reasonable amount ($10,000???) and if they passenger is denied entry then the airline gets to use the credit card for fines and return fees. A passenger who knows they are correct and won't have a problem will gladly sign the credit card authorization.
Something approaching that has been done before to get around a paranoid airline employee -- by paying for a refundable ticket and/or any change fees for an apparent re-route to get checked in on a ticket and then changed per the passenge's convenience. But even that or such a waiver/pre-authorization for use of a credit card shouldn't be any more necessary in a circumstance like that of the OP's than a US citizen flying on a roundtrip ticket from the US to the UK indicating a two days to six months stay in the UK.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kop84

Does anyone here really think that the AF airport agent(s) involved in denying transport consulted Home in South Africa or otherwise got the letter of South African laws and policies in this area? My bet is that there is no record of the involved AF agent(s) contacting the South African government over what to do with the OP's travel party on the booked trip and that they didn't read any written South African law or regulatory policy either.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:33 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
The definitive authority here would not be be the Embassy but the Dept of Home Affairs and they say "No supporting documents will be required in the case of minors in direct transit at an International Airport."
Not that it matters at this point, but, the affidavit that the consulate / embassy attached to the eMail they sent me was from:

Department of Home Affairs - Republic of South Africa

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.