FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Documentation problem, family of 4 Involuntarily Denied Boarding
Old Jan 4, 2017, 3:09 am
Productivity

Originally Posted by denizenxix
Others have already pointed this out but you're wrong here; when you deboard the plane in JNB you either go right to enter the country via immigration or left if you're in transit. There are no monitors or airline agents in this area to inform you of flight status if you are connecting. If you go towards the transit area you'll first encounter an agent of the Dept. of Home Affairs who reviews your documentation before allowing you to continue onto the ticketing desks and security check area. I can't imagine a situation where upon reaching the ticketing desk and finding out all flights are canceled ZA officials would turn around and say to AF fly these passengers back to origin. The more likely scenario is SAA putting you up in the transit hotel which is just an elevator ride away.
I agree, you have to build an extreme scenario to get to being turned around, but if AF delivers you without entry papers in order and you have no other way out, you can be turned around. Is that likely over spending a night in the hotel? I think it isn't but it's possible and airlines deal with worst case scenarios, not best.

Personally I think doing a build your own connection in a third country, which you do not have the papers to enter is crazy but maybe I'm just more risk averse than some.