Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qater/DL Atlanta A380 Premiere

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2016, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Just from reading the article, the only party to even suggest that Delta caused this to happen is the author of the article.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by airplanegod
Caused by Delta (and possibly them using ATL) having a hissy fit.
No, it was poor planning by QR.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 9:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pbarnette
And as I said, you clearly don't have experience with the carriers you are comparing DL to. LH better than DL? Laughable.
Please don't tell me you expect people outside the US to have a fantastic view of DL/AA/UA and strive to only fly on them to the US.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 9:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Panam Clipper
Why do you keep trying to hijack the thread? This is about QR not having access to a gate for their A380 and letting the passengers disembark on the ramp. If you want to discuss the relative merits of the IFE or other elements of the onboard service start another one.
We were already talking about the difference in service between DL and the ME3. I was just making a point about Delta's inferior onboard product. I get it though, you love Delta and don't want to hear anything bad said against them.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 10:10 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Plat, Avis PP
Please don't tell me you expect people outside the US to have a fantastic view of DL/AA/UA and strive to only fly on them to the US.
Fantastic or no fantastic - its a fact that AF, KL and LH go on strikes at the drop of a hat - not exactly reliable for people who really need to get there on the same time and day. Case in point - brewing strike for AF currently.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
I have no expectations about what people think. If they want an inferior product, they can choose LH.

But I wasn't responding to a question about people's perceptions of DL, I was responding to your post that said LH and BA were better than DL, which clearly shows you have not flown either LH or BA at least in the last 5 years.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 6:52 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Gone are the days of Pan Am, TWA, and Eastern as the ones you looked up to.
When did anyone look up to Eastern? When Eddie Rickenbacker was its CEO?

Eastern Airlines. Yuck.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Delta removed IFE from all MD-90 aircraft. They are currently reconfiguring 757's into a 199 seat configuration and both the 739 and 321 are busting at the seams. And I sure Delta won't be far behind with 3-4-3 on the 777 with both AA and UA doing it. You seem to be avoiding the topic of better service on the ME3. Do you at least admit that customer service, food/drink, clubs, and entertainment are better?
Sure...it "probably" is when you don't have to worry about cost.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
I don't want to get into the DK/ME3 battle, but I do have a technical question about the A380: in a pinch, could a conventional jetway, say for a 777 or 747 be used at one of the main deck boarding doors?
Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:45 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by jimrpa
I don't want to get into the DK/ME3 battle, but I do have a technical question about the A380: in a pinch, could a conventional jetway, say for a 777 or 747 be used at one of the main deck boarding doors?
I am 95% sure the answer here is yes. The issue is mostly around available space, blocking other gates, taxiways, etc.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:47 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
This whole situation is about DL being snarky. They make accommodations everyday for gates being moved and changed. After all, the ATL summer storms are about to wreak havoc on DL's gate arrangements. They'll manage to work things out.

Yes, DL was within their contractual rights to deny use of the A380 gate. I just wish that they'd own what their actions are instead of coming up with some lame, low rent childish excuse about not having enough time to be accommodating. Atlanta didn't look too good in this event. Thanks DL.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by pvn
I am 95% sure the answer here is yes. The issue is mostly around available space, blocking other gates, taxiways, etc.
At IAD, they took two gates in the part of the airport used by wide-bodies, A20 and A22, and rebuilt the jetway for A22 so that you walk uphill to the upper deck entrance/exit door. A20 serves the lower deck.

At CDG, they used a gate which has three jetways; one for the F cabin on the lower deck; one connected to an exit door near the separation between two Y cabins, and the third connected to the upper deck.

These take up a lot of space.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 10:12 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jimrpa
Pretty sure the wingspan would essentially take up two gates, save for this one specific gate.

My feeling is that while Qatar didn't provide notice, had it been an airline that DL has good relations with, like KE or AF or KL, they would have made it work. Guessing DL didn't try very hard here either (though they were under no obligation to do so).
Old Jun 3, 2016, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by cottonpatch
This whole situation is about DL being snarky. They make accommodations everyday for gates being moved and changed. After all, the ATL summer storms are about to wreak havoc on DL's gate arrangements. They'll manage to work things out.

Yes, DL was within their contractual rights to deny use of the A380 gate. I just wish that they'd own what their actions are instead of coming up with some lame, low rent childish excuse about not having enough time to be accommodating. Atlanta didn't look too good in this event. Thanks DL.
Are you saying DL has to move 3 planes to accommodate QR. Would QR do the same at DOH, absolutely not.

If QR applied for a Code F gate for entire season, ATL would have moved DL permanently for QR. But they bought this for one day.

Its a ugly plane by birth and frontal look is more horrible in QR two tone color scheme. Take a look and tell me if I am wrong.

Best way to demo a A380 is at a hardstand with all cute FAs lined up next to it, no one would notice the plane.

If DL did this I would agree that they are being snarky.

Old Jun 3, 2016, 11:27 am

Anyone thinking DL didn't intentionally block the gate to disrupt QR's inaugural needs to check their meds.
Seems DL thinks they run the entire airport/city/region down there.

Rather than the continual whining and crying, Why don't DL Mgmt clearly explain the differences between flowing passengers via AMS vs DOH/DXB?

I can agree w/ US3's stance re: ME3 somewhat, but these bullying/petty tactics (mainly from DL) make me wish AAB/QR/EK will flood the entire SE USA with loss-making fares to rub DL's nose in it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.