Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qater/DL Atlanta A380 Premiere

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2016, 6:56 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA Gold, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Maybe you have an insider view of maintainance but I never experienced them as being inoperative on any of my flights. Regardless the correct solution would have just been to fix them. Removing it was a very Northwestish move.
They replaced it with streaming TV shows, which offers more choice for the user ableit the cost.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BostonPlanesAndTrains
They replaced it with streaming TV shows, which offers more choice for the user ableit the cost.
Delta studio is unreliable and depends on wifi. The last time I tried to use it it kept telling me I needed to download some sort of app. I'm not paying $15 for slow wifi so that I can download an app to watch free content on delta studio.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
This is pretty funny. DL couldn't stop QR from launching an ATL route, but it did what it could to prevent the inaugural passengers from deplaning.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA Gold, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Gold
Delta studio is unreliable and depends on wifi. The last time I tried to use it it kept telling me I needed to download some sort of app. I'm not paying $15 for slow wifi so that I can download an app to watch free content on delta studio.
You can dowload the APP for free (or at least have) onboard. Or just download before the flight, simple solution.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 7:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Robbyb03
Whether they followed the gate reservation or process, I'm not sure as I work in actual operations, but for you guys to take Delta's word for it, especially given all the shady stuff they've done with frequent flyer programs, ticketing changes, et cetera, makes me laugh!
I'm not taking DL's word for it. I am taking ATL's word for it, supplemented by the very weak statement from QR. If QR had done what was necessary to get the gate, I would imagine their response would have been more than "we told them".

Originally Posted by airplanegod
Bolding mine. That's not really saying much considering the US is not the leader in aviation anymore. Gone are the days of Pan Am, TWA, and Eastern as the ones you looked up to. Now we look up to carriers such as Emirates, Qatar, Cathay Pacific, Singapore Airlines, Qantas, Lufthansa, and British Airways.
Clearly, you haven't flown LH or BA lately if you think DL is looking up to them. Heck, QF is questionable as well, given how badly they are doing and how much traffic they are shunting to Jetstar. SQ ain't exactly going gangbusters either and is also playing in the LCC space due to market conditions increasingly not supporting premium service.

Frankly, I think most of the "DL is not a leader" is a combination of outdated and flat-out poor information.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 7:09 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Delta removed IFE from all MD-90 aircraft. They are currently reconfiguring 757's into a 199 seat configuration and both the 739 and 321 are busting at the seams.?
Cramming more and more seats is not just a US carrier specialty was what I was trying to point out. I quoted many instances where the ME3 are leading the world in cramming seats.

You seem to be avoiding the topic of better service on the ME3. Do you at least admit that customer service, food/drink, clubs, and entertainment are better?
I have flown plenty on the ME3 and they are not uniformly better. EK's J cabin service has gotten pretty pedestrian these days and their FAs are just as apt to disappear after the meal service as on any other carrier (on the A380 for example, they seem to think that with the at-seat bar available to you that you won't need their assistance anymore for the rest of the flight). With a 76 seat A380 J cabin, service has gotten highly impersonal, and I have had less-than-friendly service from FAs from all ME3. The only thing that the ME3 have over the US3 consistently is cabin crew grooming!

Food wise, only QR is superior in presentation, but even they have cut down on their menus: gone are celebrity chefs like Nobu who used to be a staple. EK and EY all serve you the main meals on trays just like many carriers, and the food can be inconsistent in quality just like on any carrier.

IFE-wise, EK and QR offer more movie selections (especially from the Indian sub-continent), but DL at over 300 movies isn't exactly too shabby these days (and is more than what EY offers).

Comparing hub lounges between the ME3 and US3, the only lounges that are better appointed are QR's DOH J lounge and the EK's F and J lounges in Terminal A at DXB. EK's lounges in Terminals B and C are piss-poor in set-up, design, and are miserable during peak hub transfer hours, just like any lounge around the world on any carrier. Most of Delta's lounge showers also put the EK ones in DXB Terminals B and C to shame. And then there is EY at AUH with their crammed premium lounge. Sure they have a wider selection of hot food, but good luck trying to find a place to eat it during the peak hours.

Other things: EK has a slightly better amenity kit than DL, but the ones on QR and EY are jokes.

Point is, the ME3 are over-rated and are not consistently excellent or superior to the US or European carriers on every front.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 7:12 pm

Programs: None that I am proud of anymore
Bolding mine. That's not really saying much considering the US is not the leader in aviation anymore. Gone are the days of Pan Am, TWA, and Eastern as the ones you looked up to. Now we look up to carriers such as Emirates, Qatar, Cathay Pacific, Singapore Airlines, Qantas, Lufthansa, and British Airways.
But none of these international carriers fly within our borders on local routes.
As for Pam Am it was split into roughly 3 parts Europe went to Delta - South
America and the Caribbean to American and the Pacific to United (which also
inherited the Pacific trust territories (Air Micronesia aka Continental) which
is now part of United. Delta by merger with NWA got the rest of the Pacific.
TWA (and Ozark airlines) has subsequently been absorbed into American.
Lastly Eastern went bye bye with arrogant non-negotiable management
running the company into the earth leaving it's employees in the lurch.

Just because they can fly BIG aircraft subsidized by their government doesn't
mean that they have an outstanding service except for the very very high
rollers in multiple premium cabins. I am sure that their coach passengers
receive adequate service - but are there any ads or PR about that ?
Only w-i-d-e screen HD quality ads of the prime cabins - yeah the ones
with showers and a Hollywood Star (yeah it is not Qatar but Emirates).
Image what it would be like to be in that ole Ark and sail (fly) for 40 days
and nights to the earths end!

In essence if Qatar has the money (they do - they are subsidized) why did they
not buy and construct their very own gate to use as they darn well please !
I am sure that the Atlanta airport takes all kinds of cash and credit and could
craft a deal - that without approval of Delta !
Old Jun 2, 2016, 7:26 pm
Suspended

I know one ME carrier no one or Delta complains about is Saudia. Maybe that SkyTeam membership has something to do with it.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pbarnette
Clearly, you haven't flown LH or BA lately if you think DL is looking up to them. Heck, QF is questionable as well, given how badly they are doing and how much traffic they are shunting to Jetstar. SQ ain't exactly going gangbusters either and is also playing in the LCC space due to market conditions increasingly not supporting premium service.

Frankly, I think most of the "DL is not a leader" is a combination of outdated and flat-out poor information.
As I said before, DL is a leader in the US, they are not a leader outside the US. Obviously they have some things to learn from EK and QR.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 7:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BostonPlanesAndTrains
You can dowload the APP for free (or at least have) onboard. Or just download before the flight, simple solution.
I tried downloading inflight. It didn't do anything so assumed I needed to pay for wifi. Maybe it was just the routine slow connection. Regardless, Delta Studio is a step backwards. I like to watch tv/movies and play a game or something on my personal while watching. Older passengers will also have a very hard time trying to get Delta Studio to work on their phones and that's assuming they even have a smartphone. There are not enough power ports for everyone either.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

I never understood why the US3 are so threatened by the ME3 operating ME/Asia/Africa/Europe to the US. It's not like EK, QR etc want to open up NYC-LAX or MIA-ATL. Obviously they are threatened because of their inferior product/destination network.
DL along with AA, UA, KL, AF, BA, LH, et al make most of their money on the TATL J fares.

I believe that the US3 are putting up such a stink now is to ensure the line is held before more 5th freedom routes from the EU to NA happen.

The ME3 each adding 3 A380 flights between LHR/JFK would be a huge blow to all US3 and their JV partners.

The ME3 are using the subsidies to buy more planes and expand at a rate that is far more than the free market would allow under non-subsidized conditions.

Also as to the issue with Chinese carriers, the US does NOT have open skies with China. One of the conditions of open skies limits state subsidies which anyone with half a brain could see the ME3 have broken to the tune of $40+ Billion.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 8:25 pm

It's entertaining to see so many people defending Delta. Delta is overflowing with profits but yet they still choose to offer a mediocre product. They could offer the same service as the ME3 but they choose not to. Treat the passenger like a king instead of a peasant and maybe the US airlines will start to be respected. Delta needs to raise their standards and compete or shut up.
I don't think anyone here defending US3 product or service quality.

ME3 can start US carriers and offer domestic service with same superior quality they claim, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Free market will take care of US3.

Right now ME3 just cherry picking US/EU JV profitable routes and dump capacity/lower prices, guess what, domestic service is going to get even worse.

Oh, save the argument that US/EU/JV doesn't compete on those routes directly, there are multiple ways to indirectly dump capacity and lower prices.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 8:30 pm

I tried downloading inflight. It didn't do anything so assumed I needed to pay for wifi. Maybe it was just the routine slow connection. Regardless, Delta Studio is a step backwards. I like to watch tv/movies and play a game or something on my personal while watching. Older passengers will also have a very hard time trying to get Delta Studio to work on their phones and that's assuming they even have a smartphone. There are not enough power ports for everyone either.
Why do you keep trying to hijack the thread? This is about QR not having access to a gate for their A380 and letting the passengers disembark on the ramp. If you want to discuss the relative merits of the IFE or other elements of the onboard service start another one.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 8:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Panam Clipper
Why do you keep trying to hijack the thread? This is about QR not having access to a gate for their A380 and letting the passengers disembark on the ramp. If you want to discuss the relative merits of the IFE or other elements of the onboard service start another one.
Caused by Delta (and possibly them using ATL) having a hissy fit.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 8:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
As I said before, DL is a leader in the US, they are not a leader outside the US. Obviously they have some things to learn from EK and QR.
And as I said, you clearly don't have experience with the carriers you are comparing DL to. LH better than DL? Laughable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.