Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qater/DL Atlanta A380 Premiere

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2016, 3:53 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Who cares about ramp talk and behind the scene stuff... If ATL wants to be a world-class gateway, then welcome Qatar and the other 2 ME3 and give them the gate to park their nice shiny A380. The reality is ATL is in Delta's pocket and knows better to challenge Delta on its inferior product and service. Granted it's better than United and Southwest, Delta pales compare to other international flagship carriers, government subsidize or not...

Yes, yes, I heard from many "experts" here that it's not easy to move gates given 6 weeks notice. Delta seem disagree when it moves gates with 6 minute notice on its customers. It's very difficult to move those 20yo Delta aircraft because they are like people, they are not very agile when old... right?
Old Jun 13, 2016, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by wlau
Who cares about ramp talk and behind the scene stuff... If ATL wants to be a world-class gateway, then welcome Qatar and the other 2 ME3 and give them the gate to park their nice shiny A380. The reality is ATL is in Delta's pocket and knows better to challenge Delta on its inferior product and service. Granted it's better than United and Southwest, Delta pales compare to other international flagship carriers, government subsidize or not...

Yes, yes, I heard from many "experts" here that it's not easy to move gates given 6 weeks notice. Delta seem disagree when it moves gates with 6 minute notice on its customers. It's very difficult to move those 20yo Delta aircraft because they are like people, they are not very agile when old... right?
However those gates were assigned to them. They didn't just take a gate from another airline when DL moves gates. Also I'm sure DL could have raised a fuss legally if a gate "assigned" to them was taken away have proper procedures had been followed to request it. Legally DL could argue that ATL was favoring Qatar by allowing them to change the rules on gate allocation. (Rich I know, but wouldn't put it past them)

Sorry, but you can't just decide last minute to send an one-off A380 flight and expect a gate when you've all along said 777.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 1:36 am

For those that are interested in a tour...
Attached Images  
Old Jun 14, 2016, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by wlau
Yes, yes, I heard from many "experts" here that it's not easy to move gates given 6 weeks notice. Delta seem disagree when it moves gates with 6 minute notice on its customers.
DL can switch gates all they want within their assigned gates.

If you have 5 paid/reserved/assigned spots in a parking lot, no one will question how you parked within your allotment.

Even though there are conflicting reports on how many passengers on inaugural flight, how many are real rev pax. Keep in mind state owned carriers can load it up government paid pax (technically non-rev).

If QR is so proud of A380, AAB should order 100 more and save the program.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 5:30 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
As long as the weather is nice I wouldn't mind using stairs. These days even CRJ's and ERJ's use jetways and that kind of takes away the fun from flying the 50 seat jets. I think the last time I got to boad an rj using stairs was a few years ago on a CRJ-700 from SAN-LAX from the commuter terminal. But I think DL has moved those flights to the main terminal now.
Personally I find the experience more thrilling when the aircraft is bigger. Being bussed to a CRJ at LGA is mind-numbingly annoying. The couple of times I've used stairs to board a 757 has been super cool. I'd love the chance to use stairs for a 747 or, eventually, the A-380.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by tvtd
Personally I find the experience more thrilling when the aircraft is bigger. Being bussed to a CRJ at LGA is mind-numbingly annoying. The couple of times I've used stairs to board a 757 has been super cool. I'd love the chance to use stairs for a 747 or, eventually, the A-380.
Of course the best was using the rear drop down stars on DC9 when DL/NW still had them. I remember for about 3-4 months GFK was repairing the main runway and NW had to land at GFK AFB instead. Got to board via the rear tail multiple times and never got old.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.