Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qater/DL Atlanta A380 Premiere

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2016, 3:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kop84
Still doesn't mean that QR asked for the gate in a timely manner.

If QR was on the ball, wouldn't it have been better for them to say something a week ago that DL was using the only gate at ATL for their plane?

Instead they take off and strand a bunch of their passengers because DL wouldn't move from a gate that they had reserved in the proper channels.

But no, it's DL's fault
Oh yeah, those poor passengers were stranded on the tarmac for hours.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 3:43 pm

Whether they followed the gate reservation or process, I'm not sure as I work in actual operations, but for you guys to take Delta's word for it, especially given all the shady stuff they've done with frequent flyer programs, ticketing changes, et cetera, makes me laugh!
Old Jun 2, 2016, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
That still doesn't answer the question. There is a process for requesting gates, correct? Was that process followed?
Do you think the airport didn't inform them of this process? The way the airport has been trying to expand its image by attracting more carriers have me believe that Qatar Airways either blew them off/assumed the gate would be made available for them since the airport knew they were coming or Delta told the airport they couldn't accommodate them due to their operations at that time.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by airplanegod
Oh yeah, those poor passengers were stranded on the tarmac for hours.
QR stranded them. Not DL.

They took off with no gate assignment and then assumed the airline they are fighting with would help them out??

It's reprehensible that QR isn't taking accountability to make sure they had the proper gate reserved for when they needed it, and then took off anyway and hoped it would all work out.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 4:18 pm

Looking at Google Maps DOH has 25 remote stands. Watch any DOH landing video on YouTube, you will find several parked at remote stands.

So what is the issue here? JLo couldn't do belly dance on deicing pad.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
It's entertaining to see so many people defending Delta. Delta is overflowing with profits but yet they still choose to offer a mediocre product. They could offer the same service as the ME3 but they choose not to. Treat the passenger like a king instead of a peasant and maybe the US airlines will start to be respected. Delta needs to raise their standards and compete or shut up.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
They could offer the same service as the ME3 but they choose not to. Treat the passenger like a king instead of a peasant and maybe the US airlines will start to be respected.
So the king has to step over someone else to get to the bathroom...hmmm

Delta needs to raise their standards and compete or shut up
OK, time to snap out of your time warp...it's 2016 now and Delta is running one of the best operations in the world...
Old Jun 2, 2016, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
So the king has to step over someone else to get to the bathroom...hmmm

OK, time to snap out of your time warp...it's 2016 now and Delta is running one of the best operations in the world...
No doubt Delta has a great operations department. But that only gets you so far. Removing IFE from airplanes and cramming in more seats looks bad when you are bringing in record profits. Why are you against giving passengers a choice? Why should they have to settle for second best and pay even more money to fly on a US airline? The ME3 provide better service at a cheaper price.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 5:42 pm
EZE

Programs: All of em more or less
Originally Posted by vincentharris
http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/02/aviati...ort/index.html

Another day, another event that shows DL is just pouting.
Did you read the article? The airport statement makes it pretty clear that Delta was assigned those gates previously and that the airport's hands were tied so to speak by their agreement with Delta. So why is Delta under any obligation to assist a competitor? If I had been on a Delta flight that was delayed because Delta gave away their preferential use rights, I would be upset.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Removing IFE from airplanes and cramming in more seats.
Please show me where Delta is removing IFE from planes.

Oh, and Emirates having a 3-4-3 configuration in Y on their 777s (whicn incidentally is the majority of their fleet with just under 160 frames currently vs the 80 or so A380s) is not "cramming in more seats"? Even "greedy" Delta currently only has 3-3-3 across in Y on their 777s. EK recently undertook a refurbishment of their J seats on their 777s but chose to continue cramming their J cabin in a 2-3-2 configuration. When EK still had their A330s, they were just about the only scheduled operator in the world who had a 2-3-2 J cabin (everyone else has either 2-2-2 or 1-2-1). Qatar features 3-3-3 in Y on their 787s and is now going to 10 abreast (3-4-3) on their 777s: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...ng-10-abreast/.

Why are you against giving passengers a choice? .
Where did I say I was against giving passengers a choice?
Old Jun 2, 2016, 6:14 pm
Suspended

Delta removed IFE from all MD-90 aircraft. They are currently reconfiguring 757's into a 199 seat configuration and both the 739 and 321 are busting at the seams. And I sure Delta won't be far behind with 3-4-3 on the 777 with both AA and UA doing it. You seem to be avoiding the topic of better service on the ME3. Do you at least admit that customer service, food/drink, clubs, and entertainment are better?
Old Jun 2, 2016, 6:22 pm
Suspended

I never understood why the US3 are so threatened by the ME3 operating ME/Asia/Africa/Europe to the US. It's not like EK, QR etc want to open up NYC-LAX or MIA-ATL. Obviously they are threatened because of their inferior product/destination network.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 6:29 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA Gold, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Gold
Delta removed IFE from all MD-90 aircraft. They are currently reconfiguring 757's into a 199 seat configuration and both the 739 and 321 are busting at the seams. And I sure Delta won't be far behind with 3-4-3 on the 777 with both AA and UA doing it. You seem to be avoiding the topic of better service on the ME3. Do you at least admit that customer service, food/drink, clubs, and entertainment are better?
MD90s only had Overhead Screens and they didn't work half of the time.

Here's a list of changes onboard the domestic fleet:

Added
Power on A320s, MD88s and MD90s
AVOD + Power on B757-200/300 and A319s
IFE on B737-800s w/o AVOD
Lie-Flat on all TATL/TPAC
Delta Studio where one can stream content (same $ and content as in-seat)

Removed
Old Overhead TVs which were faded and didn't work half the time
Chances of being on a Dark a/c (unlike UA)

Yes, the service is better on the ME3 but they are operating a International-only route map where service really matters.

However as stated DL has some of the best service in the US.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BostonPlanesAndTrains
Yes, the service is better on the ME3 but they are operating a International-only route map where service really matters.

However as stated DL has some of the best service in the US.
Bolding mine. That's not really saying much considering the US is not the leader in aviation anymore. Gone are the days of Pan Am, TWA, and Eastern as the ones you looked up to. Now we look up to carriers such as Emirates, Qatar, Cathay Pacific, Singapore Airlines, Qantas, Lufthansa, and British Airways.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 6:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BostonPlanesAndTrains
MD90s only had Overhead Screens and they didn't work half of the time.
Maybe you have an insider view of maintainance but I never experienced them as being inoperative on any of my flights. Regardless the correct solution would have just been to fix them. Removing it was a very Northwestish move.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.