Wiki Posts
Search

Qater/DL Atlanta A380 Premiere

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2016, 12:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by Ebes1099
If a foreign government wants to sink money into a business and subsidize it's costs isn't that their decision? Delta has no control over how it's competitors are spending (or receiving) their funding.
Not according to DL because "its not fair" or some junk like that.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 12:33 pm

Programs: None that I am proud of anymore
Originally Posted by vincentharris
If its propping up or helping during a tough time then why is DL still getting subsidies in GA today?
This may very well be the type and amount of subsidies and where they originate.
Qatar getting total support from it's country and Delta getting only local state (Georgia) and ATL airport support.
As regards the Atlanta airport there may be all kinds of subsidies from both the Federal and state government.

Ask the Wizard of OZ to pull open the curtain to define apples and oranges
show the big picture.

On another note if Qatar had an emergency all competitive issues surely would have been waived to accommodate the safety of human life.
But to schedule a flight on short notice or any notice bumping Delta out of it's scheduled activity not in the cards.

But what do I know - I am just an 800 pound gorilla that knows how to bash overweight oversized ugly baggage as well as unexpected oversized air carriers.
What a fanfare welcoming for an ill scheduled arrival/departure without arranged proper clearance and suitable gate SPACE !
Does Southern Hospitality extend to the competitive ME3 ??? --- Me thinks NOT !
Old Jun 2, 2016, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by nichojo
QR stated months ago that the 380 would be on the inaugural route.
I guess April 27 (35 days ago) technically counts as plural months.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 12:42 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/02/aviati...ort/index.html

Another day, another event that shows DL is just pouting.
DL has nothing to do with it. It is between airport operator and airline.

If I apply for that gate/time slot and airport allots me I can park my Cessna at that gate. Doesn't matter if someone else brings a A380 without allotment.

QR very well knew this for months. If any one throwing Level 6 (Code-F) temper tantrum it is QR.

Lufthansa didn't get Code-F slot at Mumbai, airport gave it to Emirates. LH is waiting airport to build more Code-F gates at the time slot it want to operate. Until such time LH parks a very old B744 next to SQ A380 and EK A380.

Every airline is waiting ORD to build a Code F gate, so why not ME3 operate A380 there park it on deicing pad and throw temper tantrum.

It would be nice to listen to LiveATC, I am sure they must have acknowledged that they don't have a gate.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Not sure I understand this argument, just because the ME3 governments give more money than the USA does to DL dosent make the concept different.

DL complains that the ME3 get government subsidies, so does DL. Its the ole do as a I say not as I do.
If I ask a bank to loan me $2K and they say yes, by your principle they should then have no issue loaning me $2M?

It absolutely makes the concept different. Getting some sales tax breaks on Jet A isn't the same as QR's government buying them 100 brand new A380's/777's
Old Jun 2, 2016, 1:39 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Did they actually follow the process to apply for the gate, though? Just "announcing" this on some frequent flyer blog isn't an official process.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Not sure I understand this argument, just because the ME3 governments give more money than the USA does to DL dosent make the concept different.

DL complains that the ME3 get government subsidies, so does DL. Its the ole do as a I say not as I do.
And DL has no problem aligning itself closely with subsidized Chinese carriers. Absolutely amazing how DL turns a blind eye there!

From what I can tell, I blame QR mostly for this fiasco though. This was poor planning on their (and the ATL airport's) part. It's not DL's job to figure out QRs schedule and plan around it with gates. If DL requests to use gates and ATL grants it, while forgetting that QR will need that A380 capable gate for the A380 arrival, that's not on DL. It would not shock me if DL specifically requested that gate for that time, knowing it was the A380 gate, to do this, but blame still lies with QR for not requesting the gate in advance when they knew the A380 was coming in and with ATL Airport for not catching this either.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ebes1099
If a foreign government wants to sink money into a business and subsidize it's costs isn't that their decision? Delta has no control over how it's competitors are spending (or receiving) their funding.

Edit: I understand it a little more now with the Open Skies agreement. So the problem is really that since the airlines are government owned, the government "agreed" to this open skies agreement and the fact that they might be subsidizing these new routes goes against that agreement. So if the airlines were owned by rich individuals who were sinking money into them and the same thing was going on, would DL have a problem with that?
Bill Gates is currently worth $79 Billion. The US3 allege the ME3 have been given $42 billion in subsidies so far.

Nations have far more resources at their disposal not just monetarily but legally as well.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 2:57 pm

No, DL clearly stated they are a OK to compete with state owned airlines, but didn't face the scope or volume of subsidies ME3 are getting.

1) Unlimited equity infusion
2) Non repayable loans from family members
3) Tax free regimes
4) 0% no repay schedule financing from banks and neighboring countries
5) Free airport slots
6) No airport charges (exclusion loophole for state owned aircraft)
7) Fuel hedging contract novations
8) Free dedicated terminals
9) Discounted fuel at home base
10) Discounted catering home base
11) Indentured cheap workforce
12) No accounting laws
13) CAA working for Airline
14) EXIM financing
15) Washington State subsidy for 777X
I can go on and they have an excuse for each one of those line item.

Chinese government subsidies for all SIX airlines totals less than $1 Billion/year.

Indian government equity infusion averages $200 Million/year

Every airline has one or two benefits they enjoy but ME3 are using every single benefit to their advantage.

$43 Billion for 3 airlines. Unprecedented.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 3:12 pm
Suspended

#2 is the winner. DL surely has some contractual agreement where only SkyTeam can use E3 (they likely helped fund its renovation) and obviously weren't going to let Qatar use it.
+1
I was leaning towards #2 as well but know the Delta apologists will attack me.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
Did they actually follow the process to apply for the gate, though? Just "announcing" this on some frequent flyer blog isn't an official process.
As someone who works airplanes into/out of the Atlanta airport, we were briefed back in February that Qatar Airways was going to fly the A380 on its maiden flight and then a B777 on subsequent flights. Delta is being a spoiled child...
Old Jun 2, 2016, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Robbyb03
As someone who works airplanes into/out of the Atlanta airport, we were briefed back in February that Qatar Airways was going to fly the A380 on its maiden flight and then a B777 on subsequent flights. Delta is being a spoiled child...
Thanks for that piece of info.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 3:30 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
That still doesn't answer the question. There is a process for requesting gates, correct? Was that process followed?
Old Jun 2, 2016, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
The A380 takes up gates E1 AND E3. In addition, if the A380 is there, gate E5 becomes a narrow-body only gate. And the QR flight operates during the peak international hours (heavy usage of Concourses E and F), and was going to sit there for 3 to 4 hours.

And people, it's not a tragedy to use buses to disembark an A380. Emirates does it frequently at DXB especially now that there's heavy construction at the airport.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Still doesn't mean that QR asked for the gate in a timely manner.

If QR was on the ball, wouldn't it have been better for them to say something a week ago that DL was using the only gate at ATL for their plane?

Instead they take off and strand a bunch of their passengers because DL wouldn't move from a gate that they had reserved in the proper channels.

But no, it's DL's fault

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.