Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to change 1st/C+ upgrades for two based on highest medallion level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to change 1st/C+ upgrades for two based on highest medallion level

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2016, 3:33 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Zorak
So I repeated the above process but for the F upgrade instead of the C+ upgrade, and we were immediately upgraded into RU on the outbound (not inside the window yet for the return flight). So just another data point.
... both upgraded to RU at the window for the return flight in the last half hour.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL DM MM Marriott Plat Hertz PC

As far as first class, I am hoping they will clear all solo diamonds and then diamonds +1, solo PMs then PM +1 like American does with their EP but no one has a definite answer on how they are handling this yet.
^
This and yes I obviously have a self serving dog in the fight
Old Oct 11, 2016, 5:42 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond
I just under checked and re checked the upgrade option and immediately cleared both ways for upcoming trip to punta cana. Perfect timing as we should clear into 1st on this as well.

Thanks for the tip off on this.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 6:27 pm

Programs: DL PM
Question for the thread, I didn't see any posts (in my quick glance and search) around C+ access with mileage awards.

I scoped up 2 coach award tickets last week to HND with the promotion delta had for around Thanksgiving (great deal! like ~5 CPM). I'm a DM and traveling with my SO who is an SM, we're on the same PNR. I had assumed on booking I'd have the option to pick seats in C+ per usual. However, when I tried I get the notice that I have tickets for the Main Cabin and not W...

I don't seem to have the option in MyDelta to un-request an upgrade (says upgrade ineligible).

How do you guys think I should handle this one? I was thinking of calling the DM line, but wanted to wait until we knew what the updated policy was.

Thanks!
Old Oct 11, 2016, 6:39 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Fly to MSY tomorrow and return on Monday. Could have picked C+ on Sunday but there aren't seats we want and I figured Friday I could pick up seats for the return.

With today's change I thought I would take the only advantage that I will get with the new rules (reason is that wife is PM now and I won't be until after probably Tuesday when my Amex has closed and I get the mileage from this trip).

Went in on her account and selected C+ upgrade for the two return flights (thru ATL). Upgrade was immediately processed and it then let me select seats in C+.

Now they can change back to the previous method for upgrades.
Actually I might have to think about us taking turns at being PM. I would have been PM this year if I had paid for my ticket to LAS last December, but there wasn't much advantage to that at that time so I got an award ticket and stayed GM for this year.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 8:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
Another data point for successful C+ upgrade for me and my FO spouse. Booked a trip for about a month out, was able to get two C+ seats at booking, after checking the "Upgrade to C+" box in the "Manage Upgrades" section.

We'll see what the F upgrade looks like.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 9:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Success for this PM and FO wife, upgraded to C+ on an award ticket next month by un-checking and re-checking the request box. Now in WU on both segments and showing Upgrade Requested to F (nice timing on the recent latter policy change). ^
Old Oct 11, 2016, 10:23 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Smile

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Success for this PM and FO wife, upgraded to C+ on an award ticket next month by un-checking and re-checking the request box. Now in WU on both segments and showing Upgrade Requested to F (nice timing on the recent latter policy change). ^
Same! Thank you for posting! I have two separate award tickets for early 2017, both booked with my miles and including myself + the wife (who is Silver, FWIW). I went into each, unchecked the C+ request and saved, then re-checked the C+ request and saved. After that, we were booted from all seat assignments and I was able to select C+ seats for us both and save them. ^
Old Oct 11, 2016, 10:35 pm

Programs: DL PM
Great....There are already never any C+ aisle or window seats for DMs who book within approx. 14 days for business travel. Now what little seats are available are stolen by somebody's wife who travels once a year and gets the seat for free.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by third_wave
Great....There are already never any C+ aisle or window seats for DMs who book within approx. 14 days for business travel. Now what little seats are available are stolen by somebody's wife who travels once a year and gets the seat for free.
I doubt that many companions don't sit together. So not many aisle or windows being taken.
People who travel "once a year" aren't "stealing" too many seats.
It's not just women who are the companion who doesn't travel much.
And this was always the way it was till Delta changed it not too long ago.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by flyerslc
I doubt that many companions don't sit together. So not many aisle or windows being taken.
It's not just women who are the companion who doesn't travel much.
And this was always the way it was till Delta changed it not too long ago.
This.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 11:26 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Awesome. Just worked for me for three reservations. Oddly one where it didn't work for the outbound we already had WU on the return.. not sure how/when that happened.

Guess I'm out of luck on two other flights since we're not on the same PNR? (due to me paying with OPM)
Old Oct 12, 2016, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NobleHouse
Question for the thread, I didn't see any posts (in my quick glance and search) around C+ access with mileage awards.

I scoped up 2 coach award tickets last week to HND with the promotion delta had for around Thanksgiving (great deal! like ~5 CPM). I'm a DM and traveling with my SO who is an SM, we're on the same PNR. I had assumed on booking I'd have the option to pick seats in C+ per usual. However, when I tried I get the notice that I have tickets for the Main Cabin and not W...

I don't seem to have the option in MyDelta to un-request an upgrade (says upgrade ineligible).

How do you guys think I should handle this one? I was thinking of calling the DM line, but wanted to wait until we knew what the updated policy was.

Thanks!
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
On my award PNR I am not seeing options for C+, it is saying "not complimentary upgrade eligible". How are you guys getting this on your PNR?

Does the companion have to be medallion to get this option??? Doesn't seem right that they have to be per TC, just a SM member.

Called DL and agents claiming text about award and pay with miles tix ineligible. But seems those with companions as medallions will have that option by defacto medallion status can get the system to work. Hmm worth gifting SM then????

Last edited by mnredfox; Oct 12, 2016 at 1:16 am
Old Oct 12, 2016, 5:07 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerslc
Although the OP was wrong to generalize that it would only be "wives," the OP was correct that companions are going to gobble up good C+ seats that otherwise would have stayed open for Diamonds or Platinums booking later. Many planes have two seat rows on each side. And, even on planes with 3 seats per side, many will book aisles across rather than aisle/middle.

This is likely going to be better for me more often than not. I rarely travel at the last minute, so the C+ cabin should remain fairly open when I book alone. Since this became available yesterday, I've already pulled my daughter or wife up to C+ with me on four future reservations for later this year. Even though I believe this is good for me, I'm not sure it's such a wise choice for Delta to leave many of its best customers with far fewer C+ options when they are booking business travel on short notice.

If Delta applies this same system to 1st class -- leaving Diamonds in the back while companions of Diamonds ride up front -- it will be even more controversial given how few 1st class upgrades are available. Virtually every time I've been lucky enough to score a 1st class upgrade, I've gotten the last or next to last seat up front as a Diamond.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 6:45 am

I have a general question that I've been curious about. With comp upgrades not being available on TATL flights, which I can understand for the seats up front, it leaves me curious how they fill the C+ seats? Is there enough demand for paid C+ seats on all of these TATL flights?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.