Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to change 1st/C+ upgrades for two based on highest medallion level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to change 1st/C+ upgrades for two based on highest medallion level

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2016, 10:04 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by pauly_long
Mrs. pauly_long and I have a trip SLC-JFK booked in November on the same PNR. She has no status, so no C+ for us at ticketing.

Based on the comment about "soft launch today," I unchecked "Complimentary Comfort Plus Upgrade", hit confirm, then re-checked it, hit confirm, and it let me book C+ seats for me and the Mrs.

Seems they have quietly launched the change in companion upgrade priority.
^ Thanks! I have what is for me a rare itinerary with a companion (non-Medallion but generic SkyMiles member) coming up this weekend and the above procedure got us into WU.

EDIT: it occurred to me, this is a route where I routinely clear into F at the DM window and we had not cleared yet. So I repeated the above process but for the F upgrade instead of the C+ upgrade, and we were immediately upgraded into RU on the outbound (not inside the window yet for the return flight). So just another data point.

Last edited by Zorak; Oct 11, 2016 at 10:35 am Reason: added info about companion's (lack of) status
Old Oct 11, 2016, 10:20 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Also just worked for me. This is great. My husband is PM and we have been waiting to move to C+ for a spring trip to LIH, but could not yet because I am GM.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I wonder what a soft rollout vs. "push the change to the website"?
It seemed soft rollout meant - it is working in the production environment of the system, to test it. They are likely looking purposely for bugs.

Pushing it to the site simply means updating the language on the site once they are confident it works and thus they will officially the announce the changes to everyone.

Glad to hear its working for C+ into WU for a bunch of folks.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just booked a flight for a weekend trip and it worked for me... 'upgraded' to WU immediately after purchasing for me and GM companion. Good improvement/fix for getting C+ seats like we used to (pretty much).
Old Oct 11, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: DL PM
On the phone with the DM line now, at least this agent has no idea that these changes are going into effect "soft" or otherwsie today... asked her to double check, am on hold.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 11:50 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***
this just worked for me as well
Old Oct 11, 2016, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by appleguru
On the phone with the DM line now, at least this agent has no idea that these changes are going into effect "soft" or otherwsie today... asked her to double check, am on hold.
She came back and confirmed it. This is a very soft launch...
Old Oct 11, 2016, 12:25 pm

And yes, they are hanging very firm on the same PNR requirement (FYI). This is good IMO (no great for one of my irons that I booked and DL split before this debacle... but in general good ;-))
Old Oct 11, 2016, 1:25 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
It also worked for F for me but not my sister.

I am travelling as a diamond with my gold son Sunday, she is on a different ticket with her daughter (she is PM and her daughter is no-status general). Both our kids are old enough to not be UM FWIW.

I checked the box for upgrade to C+ after seeing there were some seats together and it upgraded my son and myself into C+ immediately on both the outbound and returned but made use choose seats. I went back and chose the first class upgrade request and we were both put into First for the outbound. The return is after the upgrade window but still plenty of F seats and will be nice if we clear again but if not I'm happy with our C+ seats

I called me sister and she is on a different return but it allowed her to select C+ for both flights but has her as "upgrade requested" for the first upgrade Sunday. Not sure if it's because she and her daughter are lower status that they didn't clear into F like I did or if we got the last 2 RU seats.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
Assuming you're sitting next to your flying companion, I guess this solves the empty middle C+ seat issue.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 1:39 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by anon2k2
Assuming you're sitting next to your flying companion, I guess this solves the empty middle C+ seat issue.
There was an empty row where my son and I could have had an empty middle, but I wasn't going to play that game. Unfair to a solo traveler and on the odd chance no one would chose it Delta tends to put SB's and NRSA's waiting at the gate for seat assignment into those seats
Old Oct 11, 2016, 1:49 pm

Programs: Delta DM, MM
I don't like this at all. As a Diamond, I am always #4-5 on upgrade list. This will push me and my loyalty way back on the list. Upgrades are hard to come by now and its only going to get worse when entire families traveling together can be ahead of me! I can't get into economy comfort all the time now!
Old Oct 11, 2016, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by pauly_long
Mrs. pauly_long and I have a trip SLC-JFK booked in November on the same PNR. She has no status, so no C+ for us at ticketing.

Based on the comment about "soft launch today," I unchecked "Complimentary Comfort Plus Upgrade", hit confirm, then re-checked it, hit confirm, and it let me book C+ seats for me and the Mrs.

Seems they have quietly launched the change in companion upgrade priority.
It also just worked for me. Thanks pauly long!
I'm so happy for this improvement. Oh wait, this is how it used to be before the enhancement.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by banness
I don't like this at all. As a Diamond, I am always #4-5 on upgrade list. This will push me and my loyalty way back on the list. Upgrades are hard to come by now and its only going to get worse when entire families traveling together can be ahead of me! I can't get into economy comfort all the time now!
It is a lot better for C+ than the original policy since it's only PM and DM +1 that will clear at time of booking unlike up to 8 companions before. If it's a diamond travelling with his family of 3 they will be in C- unless one of the members of the family is also a PM+ and they book two different tickets.

As far as first class, I am hoping they will clear all solo diamonds and then diamonds +1, solo PMs then PM +1 like they American does with their EP but no one has a definite answer on how they are handling this yet.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 2:59 pm
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
Via the website, I un-requested the C+ upgrade, and then re-requested it. It cleared for me plus my non-status companion on the same PNR for 4 of the 5 flights within minutes. Not sure what's up with the first segment of the journey which didn't clear despite availability - it's several months away, but if it doesn't clear in the near future I'll probably call in.

Edit to say: This also made the price of the FCM offer go up by $40 per person each way.

Edit 2: After 10 minutes I tried the un-request re-request sequence again, and the 5th segment cleared to WU as well. Possibly rolled out to some of their servers but not others?

Last edited by kpbadger; Oct 11, 2016 at 3:13 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.