Search

Delta to suspend Istanbul immediately

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2016, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
Even in war most soldiers live.
I am not saying that anyone is going to die.

But saying that "it's always safer to go after an attack" appears to betray ignorance of the situation on the ground...coming 3 weeks after the last fatal attack in Istanbul, which occurred only blocks from the hotel I usually stay at in Istanbul, and this being the 4th attack this month in the country.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You know, this is difficult one for me, as even before the current situation (specifically the last 11 months or so) there were plenty of people and even FT'ers who would spout some of the same "information" about Turkey or Istanbul, pretty much ever since 9/11.

From the perspective of someone who actually lives in Turkey, who for example was through the airport two days before and the day before the attacks and came back from a trip just this morning, if I had no reason to come to Turkey, I might put it off for just a little while.

People here obviously do not go to tourist sites, however since the Beyoglu bombing, the people of Istanbul have been going out less. Less to shopping centers (which incidentally have always had x-ray and bomb scans), at times avoiding subways, and just trying to be more careful.

The thing is, Istanbul has always been a safe airport, the Turks have always taken this stuff extremely seriously. Yet, with all that these animals were still able to fight there way in, not far, but enough to do extreme damage.

All that being said, I was extremely surprised how normal things were this morning. Basically other than the Customs area being boarded off and the exit being moved maybe 50 feet down, and an area of the arrivals area curbside also boarded up, you would not have known that anything happened, if you were not aware of the attacks.

As a point of national pride the Turks have decided that they are not going to let this destroy their travel and tourism infrastructure.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 2:59 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/15/asia/t...ion/index.html

So apparently DL made the right decision at least for the short term.

Not to be glib, but I can't remember a lot of military coup's working out for the betterment of the people.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by kop84

Not to be glib, but I can't remember a lot of military coup's working out for the betterment of the people.
Egypt is all that comes to mind. But the coup's leader has been elected President... very Frank Underwoodesque.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL DM
I would encourage everyone to read up on this before jumping to conclusions.

This is not random power grab or tribalism, but an event rooted deep in the history of Turkey as a secular republic.

Depending on how this turns out, this could have an enormous impact on the region and the globe.

Originally Posted by kop84

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.