Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to suspend Istanbul immediately

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2016, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The KL 737 experience is nothing to write home about and there is really no difference between any of the seats on such a narrow body a/c.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 10:59 am

Programs: DL DM, 3.3 MM Miler, Lifetime Hilton Diamond VIP, United, American, National ExecElite
Originally Posted by hfly
The KL 737 experience is nothing to write home about and there is really no difference between any of the seats on such a narrow body a/c.
That was my presumption, but appreciate the confirmation.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 1:53 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Trojan. The Russians did not just "tel;l" their people not to go to Turkey. They actively cancelled the permits of almost everyone in the leisure travel business to bring tourists to Turkey, both Turkish and Russian, in an effort to kill the mass tourism business to Turkey. Scheduled flights, such as those operated by Turkish and Aeroflot have been barely effected.

In any case, this had nothing to do with a real or perceived security threat, but a game of chicken between Putin and Erdogan, and has little to do with this claimed or real situation of DL dropping their service for this year.
I agree with you completely. I was commenting on what someone said about the Russians potentially putting out a recent travel advisory. Since they've basically stopped most tourism already last year, there's no need

Without the nonstop IST becomes a PITA to which to travel, and that discourages me from making leisure trips (regardless of the security situation). Now I will have fewer excuses and be told that I will have to make more in-law trips to Scandinavia.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 3:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
I agree with you completely. I was commenting on what someone said about the Russians potentially putting out a recent travel advisory. Since they've basically stopped most tourism already last year, there's no need

Without the nonstop IST becomes a PITA to which to travel, and that discourages me from making leisure trips (regardless of the security situation). Now I will have fewer excuses and be told that I will have to make more in-law trips to Scandinavia.
It's a nice place as long as you can avoid eating all the stinky fish. Maybe try for elk instead of lutefisk?
Old Apr 26, 2016, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's a nice place as long as you can avoid eating all the stinky fish. Maybe try for elk instead of lutefisk?
Better lutefisk than surströmming. I had the latter once - it was truly memorable.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 6:56 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS Gold, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by HohoGAP
Diamond RA still don't have any information on the cancellation of the JFK-IST flight and my trip still shows as a reservation in July, although it is clear the flight won't operate as you can't book the JFK-IST leg. Hopefully they'll honor the confirmed GUC on the return, at least on the Delta metal portion.
I am on a one way from IST-SFO through JFK in July in business. I'd called Gold several times in the last few days, and each RA I got did not know of the route suspension, despite the fact that there's a release on delta.com. They were unwilling to re-accommodate.

Today they called me and the RA was very pleasant on the phone and quite helpful. I'm now on KLM through AMS, which also means I'm in business on a 747 from AMS-SFO. ^
Old Apr 28, 2016, 11:03 am

Programs: AA, DL, UA
Originally Posted by McGowan06
I am on a one way from IST-SFO through JFK in July in business. I'd called Gold several times in the last few days, and each RA I got did not know of the route suspension, despite the fact that there's a release on delta.com. They were unwilling to re-accommodate.

Today they called me and the RA was very pleasant on the phone and quite helpful. I'm now on KLM through AMS, which also means I'm in business on a 747 from AMS-SFO. ^
We have a round-trip JFK-IST-ADB this summer. For this trip we got the tickets at a large discount through an Expedia "package" (where the package was the flights and a single night of a cheapo hotel that we almost certainly won't use).

After several HUCA iterations we managed to rebook the outbound through CDG, but that was only because the IST-ADB connection also had a schedule change. We had no luck on the return.

The Delta representatives do know (or can learn when prompted) that JFK-IST is not operating, but they apparently have no guidance on how to rebook it and are told to ask people to wait.

I guess there is some drama going on behind the scenes, but it is quite annoying. Meanwhile, the price of the alternative TK flights keeps inching up.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The price of TK tickets should not be any concern to you. If you are ticketed, DL will have to reroute you, so you have no worries.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA
The price of TK tickets should not be any concern to you. If you are ticketed, DL will have to reroute you, so you have no worries.
The negotiation was quite remarkable and unfriendly (and isn't over, because we didn't get the return adjusted). One representative claimed that the reroute had to have availability in the same booking class, and proposed JFK-ORY-CDG-long wait-IST. "Or, you know, we can provide a full refund." Uh oh, other line is ringing, I'll have to call back! On the next call, they offered a refund, but claimed that a reroute would trigger a $200pp change fee. Oops, hit disconnect by accident.

Used to have status on DL, but lost it when I stopped traveling for work, and it seems I have to negotiate through Expedia's Indian call center, so I suppose it might be easier to fix this with a different fact pattern.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by luckypierre
Wonder if the Russian government has issued similar travelers' alerts?
The Israeli government has and when you consider the risk of terrorist attacks here, and realize that Israel has only done this before (in connection with Egypt), that is really saying something.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would then go online, find exactly the alternative flights that you want, write CS an e-mail explaining this, and I am sure they will straighten it out.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like DL made a good call here. Not sure if they had any special briefing, or if they just reacted to booking numbers. Obviously, USA leisure bookings to IST will now decline even further.

Besides, anyone wanting to go can fly Turkish. They don't seem to be a "for profit" airline these days, so the Turkish gov't can afford to fly their planes mostly empty. It's perhaps more justifiable than what Emirates, Eitihad and Qatar do.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
Besides, anyone wanting to go can fly Turkish. They don't seem to be a "for profit" airline these days...
With a net income of over $1 billion in 2015 I'm not sure where you're finding you're information.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmd320
With a net income of over $1 billion in 2015 I'm not sure where you're finding you're information.
I think they reported losing more than $400 million in the first quarter alone. Obviously, it's going to get MUCH worse going forward.

And how much assistance do they receive from the gov't? I'm certain it's material. No for-profit company would ever have run their USA Super Bowl ad this year (the definition of lighting money on fire).
Old Jun 28, 2016, 9:03 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Lots of people here bought special IST business class sale fares recently. I wonder whether DL will let them change to other destinations or just refund depending on what the USA government says about security there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.