Delta to suspend Istanbul immediately

Old Apr 20, 2016, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
Exclamation Delta to suspend Istanbul immediately

looks like this won't even operate this summer, very last minute cancellation!

no longer bookable on DL.com

http://news.delta.com/delta-suspend-...tanbul-service

Due to increased security concerns in Turkey, including a travel warning issued by the State Department, and weaker demand for air travel to this market, Delta has taken the decision to suspend its New York-JFK-Istanbul service due to start in May 2016. Customers can go to www.delta.com for more information on re-accommodations.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 8:30 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium
Eesh -- was planning to transit through IST on my way to the US tonight, ended up getting TK to refund my ticket and paid twice as much to take AF through CDG because my wife was too worried.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 8:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
These actions could really hurt Turkey's tourism industry.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
These actions could really hurt Turkey's tourism industry.
Without taking this into OMNI territory - it was the same at Sharm-el-sheikh. I do not think it fair to blame the airlines. Countries need to get a grip of the terrorists in their own backyard.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:00 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Turkish Airlines has the route well covered. They have 3 JFK-IST flights.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Austin787
Turkish Airlines has the route well covered. They have 3 JFK-IST flights.
They're in *A, not SkyTeam. No MQMs, etc. for these long flights.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:27 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
This is too bad. Istanbul is an amazing city.

Can't say I blame Delta though, given the uncertainty I am sure bookings are down (and unlike TK, DL doesn't have transit passengers to help with the loads).
Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:29 am

Did something happen very recently to generate a new travel warning from the State Department? I'm not aware of any major changes to the situation in IST.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Apr 20, 2016 at 9:59 am Reason: typo
Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:39 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Without taking this into OMNI territory - it was the same at Sharm-el-sheikh. I do not think it fair to blame the airlines. Countries need to get a grip of the terrorists in their own backyard.
The US gov't recently evacuated non-essential personnel not just from the Incirlik area, but also from the Izmir and Bodrum areas. That very much surprised me as Izmir/Bodrum are some of the most secular areas in Turkey. (And something must have changed, as migrants have been passing through those areas for over a year.) It's too bad, SW Turkey is amazing.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium
The other deterrent is the scarlet SSSS status that many people are reporting after traveling as tourists to Turkey and coming back to fly in the states. I'm told of cases where American diplomats traveling on dip passports going to/from post through Turkey are getting them!
Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: DL DM, 3.3 MM Miler, Lifetime Hilton Diamond VIP, United, American, National ExecElite
They're in *A, not SkyTeam. No MQMs, etc. for these long flights.
I called the Diamond line and the news has not filtered down to the RA yet. I had booked the DTW-JFK-IST R/T for July 8th-13th and was able to use my last GUC and already had it confirmed for the return (that will tell you there was light booking). I could adjust the trip but the JFK-IST non-stop was the real highlight for a quick turn (and I'm not going on Turkish without the MQM and MQD credit). I also booked a non-refundable 4 nights at the Doubletree near Old Town when they ran a 78 Euro/night special a couple months ago. Will be interested to see how accommodating Delta will be on the change, and if they can force the GUC to confirm on a DTW-CDG or AMS segment with Delta metal.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:50 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by TTT
This is too bad. Istanbul is an amazing city.

Can't say I blame Delta though, given the uncertainty I am sure bookings are down (and unlike TK, DL doesn't have transit passengers to help with the loads).
Bookings must be down to CDG, too.

Flew SEA-CDG last week and then CDG-SLC yesterday. Both planes maybe 2/3 full at the MOST. Coming home may have been even 1/2 full. 😕
Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
The US gov't recently evacuated non-essential personnel not just from the Incirlik area, but also from the Izmir and Bodrum areas. That very much surprised me as Izmir/Bodrum are some of the most secular areas in Turkey. (And something must have changed, as migrants have been passing through those areas for over a year.) It's too bad, SW Turkey is amazing.
I've never been in Izmir, but my impression is that it's a big city that's reasonably cosmopolitan and liberal, not at all filled with religious fundamentalists and terrorists. It would primarily be a business destination.

Bodrum seems much more permissive than Istanbul, although in both places you do see some women wearing headscarfs, etc. It's a major center for beach vacations combined with archaeology sites and historic forts, mosques, etc. IME you see more topless women on the beach and really tiny bikinis walking along the beach or in waterfront cafes and bars than you do in almost all USA resort areas. Openly gay couples are common, as are public displays of affection. There are bars and nightclubs that are open and crowded in the middle of the night in Bodrum. Yet there seem to be a lot of mosques that call the faithful to prayer at the required times.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by 355F1
Bookings must be down to CDG, too.

Flew SEA-CDG last week and then CDG-SLC yesterday. Both planes maybe 2/3 full at the MOST. Coming home may have been even 1/2 full. 😕
Maybe if they'd stop charging so much to CDG there'd be more pax. Fares have been fairly high for a few years. I would usually take multiple weekend trips to CDG over a year, but can't justify it with the prices they were charging.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Did something hhappen very recently to generate a new travel warning from the State Department? I'm not aware of any major changes to the situation in IST.
Yes, a suicide bombing in Istanbul on 19 March 2016, killing five people and injuring 30+ people:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ly-bomb-attack

The seasonal Delta nonstop carried mostly American tourists, so it is not surprising that recent events (not just in IST) have curtailed US-originating travel to some of these spots.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.