Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to suspend Istanbul immediately

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2016, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
Yes, a suicide bombing in Istanbul on 19 March 2016, killing five people and injuring 30+ people:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ly-bomb-attack

The seasonal Delta nonstop carried mostly American tourists, so it is not surprising that recent events (not just in IST) have curtailed US-originating travel to some of these spots.
That's a while ago. I had the impression that the State Department's upgraded warning was within the last few days.

OTOH, since DL operates only seasonal service to/from IST, I guess there was no urgency to make a decision immediately after the incident.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 10:06 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That's a while ago. I had the impression that the State Department's upgraded warning was within the last few days.

OTOH, since DL operates only seasonal service to/from IST, I guess there was no urgency to make a decision immediately after the incident.
lol a large terrorist attack within the past month isn't really that long ago.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA

A while ago? It has only been a month...the State Department's upgraded warning was effective March 29 (replacing the March 17 one which was before the incident).

They took a wait-and-see attitude after the incident and obviously, advance bookings did not look good. In fact, this past weekend, they just downgauged the flight from a 245-seat 767-400ER to a 225-seat 767-300ER. Last summer, it was the 293-seat A330-300....
Old Apr 20, 2016, 10:12 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I guess the 757 wasn't an option, or perhaps DL considered the State Department warnings and decided against sending their crew to IST.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 10:25 am

A while ago? It has only been a month...the State Department's upgraded warning was effective March 29 (replacing the March 17 one which was before the incident).

They took a wait-and-see attitude after the incident and obviously, advance bookings did not look good. In fact, this past weekend, they just downgauged the flight from a 245-seat 767-400ER to a 225-seat 767-300ER. Last summer, it was the 293-seat A330-300....
I imagine that this can't be a decision that a DL would take lightly. Even if LF were light, it's still a lot of people that will be displaced and looking for reacomidations /refunds. And by pulling their plane totally out of IST they are reliant on AF/KL for rebooking passengers.

And even more in consideration for DL is there is a lot of cruise traffic for IST/ATH and those people don't typically have a lot of flexibility especially if this is going to add another connection (potentially) both ways.

DL is going to be refunding a lot of people who will be giving TK a shot for the first time, and several of those people are not going to come back to DL after trying TK
Old Apr 20, 2016, 10:26 am

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Originally Posted by HohoGAP
Will be interested to see how accommodating Delta will be on the change, and if they can force the GUC to confirm on a DTW-CDG or AMS segment with Delta metal.
Paris and Amsterdam are still a long way from IST. If you want to stay on DL metal, ask to be reaccommodated on something to ATH (or FCO).
Old Apr 20, 2016, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by mAAine_flyer
Paris and Amsterdam are still a long way from IST. If you want to stay on DL metal, ask to be reaccommodated on something to ATH (or FCO).
Part of the attraction of the nonstop was the ability to avoid long connecting segments in AF/KLM Eurobusiness class while having a long TATL flight with enough time to eat dinner and get a nice long sleep.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by kop84
And even more in consideration for DL is there is a lot of cruise traffic for IST/ATH and those people don't typically have a lot of flexibility especially if this is going to add another connection (potentially) both ways.
I think cruise bookings in general are down for Europe this summer (good year to go, there's some deals to be had, assuming you can find airfare for a reasonable price), and on top of that the cruise lines seem to be getting a bit leary of Istanbul themselves. I'm not sure there' been a lot of cancelling IST yet (although I think I've seen some), but it wouldn't take much more at this point before they cut and run.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by piper28
I think cruise bookings in general are down for Europe this summer (good year to go, there's some deals to be had, assuming you can find airfare for a reasonable price), and on top of that the cruise lines seem to be getting a bit leary of Istanbul themselves. I'm not sure there' been a lot of cancelling IST yet (although I think I've seen some), but it wouldn't take much more at this point before they cut and run.
Yeah, I've heard that European cruise fares are down this year, maybe especially for tickets purchased in the USA. I'm not ssure how many of these boats routinely go to Turkey versus staying more in the western European end of the Mediterranean Sea. Plus there are a number of river cruises and even barge trips for a different experience.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:17 am

Programs: DL DM, 3.3 MM Miler, Lifetime Hilton Diamond VIP, United, American, National ExecElite
Originally Posted by mAAine_flyer
I'll let you know what DL RA says as that may be an option I'll look at if they can't accommodate my GUC which was confirmed on my return in July.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:27 am

Programs: DL FO
As an anecdote, my mother and I were planning a trip to Istanbul for this spring, and would have taken the JFK-IST route. In January, we made the decision to hold off on Istanbul for now. We're going to Italy instead.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:44 am

Programs: DM/3MM
I guess the 757 wasn't an option, or perhaps DL considered the State Department warnings and decided against sending their crew to IST.
I think there is something else going on in Turkey that the US gov't is aware of but not broadly communicating. I found it very strange for them to order evacuations in Izmir and not Istanbul, as in, why now.

I can imagine that travel has fallen off regardless. I'll go pretty much anywhere, and at this point I would not travel to Turkey as a tourist. I really like the place, but there's too much uncertainty/targeting tourist areas to risk it. There are too many other places to go to. And some might say the terrorists "win" by me making that decision, but there it is. It's more complicated than that, though, which I'll leave as this is not Omni.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
And it followed on a terrorist attack in January in Istanbul, February and March bombings in Ankara, and numerous PKK attacks/conflicts. Tourism was already down 10% YoY in February. After the two March bombings, I can't see numbers recovering any time soon.

A shame for such a beautiful country, but DL is being prudent and sensible given the security situation and what must be a cratering of demand.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by pbarnette
And it followed on a terrorist attack in January in Istanbul, February and March bombings in Ankara, and numerous PKK attacks/conflicts. Tourism was already down 10% YoY in February. After the two March bombings, I can't see numbers recovering any time soon.

A shame for such a beautiful country, but DL is being prudent and sensible given the security situation and what must be a cratering of demand.
Iberia also recently announced they will suspend IST service starting in May due to decreased demand.

http://ftnnews.com/news-from-turkey/...-istanbul.html
Old Apr 20, 2016, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Devalued Diamond, Hertz President's Club
I did a MR to IST a few years ago....agree it is an amazing city. I guess I did not even know DL flew there as I was on KLM from ORD-AMS-IST. I hope they can get the environment safe again. I'd love to go back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.